All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
N8 sub standard, N9 MeeGo cancelled

Nokia have announced that their first MeeGo smartphone, the N9?, is to be cancelled. See here:-

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/noki...ease-50002591/

The same article labels the N8 as, "a great phone saddled with substandard software".

This echoes my own feelings about the N8 which, with the symbian^3 platform, I viewed as a stop gap measure awaiting the release of a MeeGo enabled handset to compete with the iPhone and Android handsets.

Does this mean that MeeGo is now cancelled and, if so, will Nokia be switching platforms as their partner in Symbian, Sony Ericsson, and Samsung have?

It also begs the question of the future of symbian^3 as even Nokia were not pinning their hopes, it would seem, on it for future, high end, smartphones.

More info here:-

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrevi...aunching/22186

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110209/...us_nokia_meego

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7180X420110209

Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Comical - except it's not. I said again and again and again that S3 was not going to satisfy the hoopla and anticipation that had built up around it (much of it whipped up stupidly by Nokia themselves) and that after it's much delayed release the fairly minimal changes were bound to be a massive let down. Really the most unforgivable thing was how little they delivered given that it was around 9 months late (on the first Symbian Foundation schedule) and that they then had to change direction again - cancelling S4 and Orbit step and moving to all Qt environment - how could they not have seen this before. Will someone finally admit that the Symbian Foundation was a disaster and the biggest tragedy was the year plus of stasis playing politics and legal contracts when they should have been developing the product instead of watching rival OS's overtake them and disappear into the distance.

Samsung played Nokia for fools and they were right - nice one.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM

valdyn is on a distinguished road
Those articles are not entirely correct. If you googled some instead of relying on tertiary sources, you could read that:
Nokia never announced an N9 so they cannot cancel it either.
There's no official Nokia statement about this at all.
What I can gather from various sources, even the original source of this rumour ( Eldar Murtazin ), is that Nokia might have scrapped one prototype and decided not to release it.
That's probably the only reasonable thing to do considering that Meego won't be ready for a release for a few months and it might be better to base a new highend phone on *new* highend hardware, instead of sticking to specs that will sooner rather than later be obsolete anyway ( I'm assuming that the OS released by Nokia will be based on a system around the Meego release planned for April ).

Mind, I'm just speculating here, but Reuter's sources appear to be doing that just the same.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 PM

MontyN95 is on a distinguished road
The fact that the artical mentioned the N9 totally discredits it! There's no such thing as the N9. The N9 was created as a result of rumor mills around the internet of what some website geek thought would be the perfect phone e.g N8 + Keyboard + Awesome Software OS/Meego!!

So no need to give other bloggers the attention as it's very fashionable around the net these days - Slate Nokia one way or another and you'll generate heaps of traffic to your blog both from others who will happily join in and slate Nokia (i.e you) and Nokia fan boys!! (You my friend just fell into their trap!!)

No need to keep searching the internet for stories and articles to justify your feelings towards Nokia!! Give it a rest

Old 10-02-2011, 12:23 AM

In case the two previous posters had not noticed, I did put my own "?" after N9 in the first line of my posting.

I admire and understand your spirited defence of your Nokia purchase but I'm afraid actions and events speak louder than words.

The CEO of Nokia, Stephen Elop, seems to agree with me in this memo, released yesterday:-

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/n...honest-burnin/

"The first iPhone shipped in 2007, and we still don't have a product that is close to their experience. Android came on the scene just over two years ago, and this week they took our leadership position in smartphone volumes. Unbelievable,"

"We have some brilliant sources of innovation inside Nokia, but we are not bringing it to market fast enough. We thought MeeGo would be a platform for winning high-end smartphones. However, at this rate, by the end of 2011, we might have only one MeeGo product in the market."

"...Symbian is proving to be an increasingly difficult environment in which to develop to meet the continuously expanding consumer requirements..."

"Our competitors aren't taking our market share with devices; they are taking our market share with an entire ecosystem."

"We poured gasoline on our own burning platform. I believe we have lacked accountability and leadership to align and direct the company through these disruptive times. We had a series of misses. We haven't been delivering innovation fast enough. We're not collaborating internally. Nokia, our platform is burning."

Fact. Nokia's share of the smartphone market has dropped. Smartphone sales rose 72 percent last year compared with the year before. Nokia's share of that market fell to 28.9 percent. Last year Nokia had 36.4 percent of the worldwide smartphone market.

Fact. Google Android smartphone sales have increased by nearly 10 times what they were a year ago and have now overtaken symbian.

Fact. Both Nokia's partner in Symbian, Sony Ericsson, and Samsung have abandoned symbian.

Fact. Nokia has, and still is, changing its management.

Fact. Nokia limited its financial forecast to just the first quarter on January 27th.

Fact. Developers are staying away from Nokia in favour of Android and Apple. MeeGo now only attracts 6% of developers.

If you care to look back at my 1400+ posts you will see that I was a whole hearted supporter of Nokia from the N80 until the N97, which I defended as best as I could. This was followed by the N8 that I have that shows all the hallmarks of the N97.

Nokia have obviously woken up to the situation at long last and so must we.

No matter what you or anyone says here... the public have already voted with their pockets and their feet and that's what counts in the end.

Last edited by ironass; 10-02-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:29 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Well.. still all speculation for another day.. Hold on tight, boys! Lets hope some submarines are around to pick us up after we apparently jump from this burning oil rig.

Its pretty sad reading this article.. It is really testing my faith in Nokia..

Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 AM

At least now they have someone in charge at Nokia who is acknowledging the problems and seems prepared to meet the challenge head on and not bury his head in the sand.

No consolation for current dissatisfied Nokia smartphone owners I'm afraid.

It will be interesting to see what Nokia's next steps will be. The CEO, Stephen Elop, being ex Microsoft may form an alliance with Windows Mobile. Not my preference I hasten to add.

As you say, all will be revealed tomorrow.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:06 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Fact. Google Android smartphone sales have increased by nearly 10 times what they were a year ago and have now overtaken symbian.
For the whole of 2010, Symbian still leads the pack, according to Gartner:

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1543014

2010: Symbian 37.6%, Android 22.7%, RIM 16.0%, iOS 15.7%, Microsoft 4.2%, Other 3.8%.

Of course, the 2009 numbers were much different: Symbian 46.9%, Android 3.9%, RIM 19.9%, iOS 14.4%, Microsoft 8.7%, Other 6.1%.

Biggest losers from 2009 were Nokia, Microsoft, RIM and Other at the expense of Android.

Biggest growth from 2009 was, of course, Android. Apple's growth in 2010 from 2009 is negligent.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
For the whole of 2010, Symbian still leads the pack, according to Gartner:
I don't think the CEO of Nokia would make this up, do you?...

"Android came on the scene just over 2 years ago, and this week they took our leadership position in smartphone volumes. Unbelievable."

I think his figures are a tad more up-to-date.

Last edited by ironass; 10-02-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:

"Android came on the scene just over 2 years ago, and this week they took our leadership position in smartphone volumes. Unbelievable."

Not like that.

The Gartner figures are probably quite accurate (they have been in the past, and I don't see why they wouldn't be now, either; Nokia's CEO knows for sure only their own numbers, and for the rest they are dependent on competitive intelligence data from Gartner and others like Gartner).

Most likely, Nokia's CEO probably refers to the couple of months of 2010, where Android did sell more than Nokia/Symbian, which would indicate that 2011 will see a reversal - at least - of who's #1 and who's #2.

In other words, the Gartner 2010 figures are still correct (as in not wrong).
Ads

Old 10-02-2011, 12:38 PM

According to Gartner it was the fourth quarter of 2010.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/1109...ymbian-htc.htm

Whichever way you slice it N/A, Nokia and it's CEO are worried by this trend since they now have nothing to release in the forseeable future to stem this tide.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:10 PM

torrentblock is on a distinguished road
Quote:

troll.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentblock View Post
troll.
Thank you for your reasoned, well put and constructed reply which is solely based on childish and immature name calling.

I assume that that is the best argument you can come up with as you seem incapable of stringing a whole sentence together.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:09 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you care to look back at my 1400+ posts you will see that I was a whole hearted supporter of Nokia from the N80 until the N97, which I defended as best as I could. This was followed by the N8 that I have that shows all the hallmarks of the N97.

Nokia have obviously woken up to the situation at long last and so must we.

No matter what you or anyone says here... the public have already voted with their pockets and their feet and that's what counts in the end.
The N8 doesn't show any of the hallmarks of the N8 - its probably by far and away one of the most stable Symbian products have ever had on release.

Other than Opera Mobile causing the device to freeze, its been absolutely fantastic.

But it has been obvious to everyone bar the previous Nokia management that they needed a kicking to start releasing products on time/quicker - it must have been some idiotic internal politics that were causing some of the delays. I've worked in too many large corporates over the years, its a problem in virtually all of them.

The last comment there is an interesting one. Despite some apparently terrible products, Nokia are still managing to sell a truly massive number of Symbian devices. Its just the cheap (and sometimes nasty) Android devices that are pushing the sales of the platform.

I don't think there's been any breakdown of the Android sales by vendor - it would be interesting. to see the full list by manufacturer/price ranges.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 PM

torrentblock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
The N8 doesn't show any of the hallmarks of the N8 - its probably by far and away one of the most stable Symbian products have ever had on release.

Other than Opera Mobile causing the device to freeze, its been absolutely fantastic.

But it has been obvious to everyone bar the previous Nokia management that they needed a kicking to start releasing products on time/quicker - it must have been some idiotic internal politics that were causing some of the delays. I've worked in too many large corporates over the years, its a problem in virtually all of them.

The last comment there is an interesting one. Despite some apparently terrible products, Nokia are still managing to sell a truly massive number of Symbian devices. Its just the cheap (and sometimes nasty) Android devices that are pushing the sales of the platform.

I don't think there's been any breakdown of the Android sales by vendor - it would be interesting. to see the full list by manufacturer/price ranges.
people who buy an E63 ore 5800 are more likely to get another nokia in comparison to people who got a ZTE Racer as their first Android phone.

I know my girlfriend is thinking twice about Android after her experience with the WILDFIRE... but I think she would have been better off spending a little more money and getting the Desire. She really likes my C7 and to be fair, she's not that bothered about the app ecosystem. I think that's still the majority of people out there.

Android has found and exploited a niche, but it's basically a niche of American fratboys semi-geeks *who think they're the only people to have discovered this revelation called Android...*

It reminds me of iPhone users a few years ago. "look... i can install apps on my phone!!!"

I agree though that Nokia do seem to need to get their heads together, but when you're receiving fat bonuses and your sales figures haven't got completely tanked, i guess it's pretty hard not to spend at least some of your day getting even with the people over in sector 7 who stole some of your budget allocation last year with *that* presentation...