All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia announce the 5250

Nokia launched the 5250 today, an ultra-low cost S60 5th Edition music-focussed smartphone. There's no microSD included, the screen's only 2.8" and there's no Wi-Fi or 3G or GPS, but it does come in at a price point of only 115 Euros (less than £100), SIM-free, before taxes, etc. On the plus side, you get a free copy of Guitar Hero 5 Mobile.... Photos and more details below...

Read on in the full article.

Old 24-08-2010, 07:46 AM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
Looks quite good - seems Nokia is finding its design mojo again. However, absence of virtually everything is a bummer though - it was acceptable for 523x since it had that big screen.

Old 24-08-2010, 09:33 AM
bp101

This is why those market share figures are so unreliable. This may run a smartphone OS, but it's not a smartphone, and is not aimed at the smartphone user.

Old 24-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Administrator

More to the point, it shakes up the whole concept of smartphones and reinforces the point that we should perhaps simply be talking about 'phones', a device segment that goes right the way from 20 to 700.

With an acknowledgement that the companies at the top end will sell a lot less but will make a lot more profit per unit, naturally.

What do you think?

Old 24-08-2010, 09:39 AM

tenoce is on a distinguished road
Exactly what my Mom needs. No more, no less. It will be a huge success.

Old 24-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

Who cares?

"This is why those market share figures are so unreliable. This may run a smartphone OS, but it's not a smartphone, and is not aimed at the smartphone user."

However, tons of users buying these cheap smartphones, will their use their functions and download apps and games regardless. These cheap ones here ARE smartphones (just give me one reason why this is NOT a smartphone?).

So unless you want to redefine what a smartphone is.....well, I am sure Nokia is comfortable doing just that. However Apple propably finds it really annoying >:-)
Ads

Old 24-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

I'd doubt these will be used as smartphones because they'll be sold on the types of contracts/PAYG that don't have data plans. No 3G rules it for networks like Three also.

Also, why would you buy this when a 5230 can be had for about 60-80 anyway, including 3G and GPS and card slot? My kids aren't going to want this as Facebook will be slow and there's no space for music or pictures.

What Nokia needed was a redesigned 5230 with Symbian^3 and maybe WiFi.

Old 24-08-2010, 10:16 AM

GavW is on a distinguished road
As has been pointed out, this phone is technically a smartphone, even though it lack many/all of the features a "true smartphone" user would want & need.

While it would be difficult to retrospectively re-define the term "smartphone", it would be possible to create a new class of phone that's more advanced than a basic smartphone --> how about a geniusphone?

Old 24-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Exactly - which is why the term 'superphone' has been floating around, to refer to devices like the Droid X and EVO 4G in the USA and Samsung Galaxy S and imminent Desire HD over here....

Old 24-08-2010, 10:57 AM

kevmc is on a distinguished road
Defintition of smartphone is articial anyway :)

Hi Folks,

The definition of smart phone vs feature phone is totally artificial anyway. It is used by phone manufactures to mean whatever they want depending upon their market slant.

The reality is for consumers, they do not care and would struggle to see a different between say low-end Symbian and high-end S40. Multitasking might be about it, but how many people buy Symbian phones and do not know they can do multitasking.

It used to be that smartphones were defined by the hardware split, if they had a dedicated apps processor it was a smartphone, if the apps was integrated with the BB and shared typically it was a feature phone.

Of course even that is now gone as you cannot tell looking at the hardware anymore if it is a smartphone or feature phone.

Cheers,

Kevin McIntyre

Old 24-08-2010, 11:00 AM

kevmc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Exactly - which is why the term 'superphone' has been floating around, to refer to devices like the Droid X and EVO 4G in the USA and Samsung Galaxy S and imminent Desire HD over here....
Hi Steve,

Again I think this is just an attempt to define the market to suit ones particular market segmentation. Today's Superphone is tomorrows smartphone and today's smartphone is tomorrows feature phone.

Those devices you mention from a sw perspective are no different to other devices, the only difference is their hardware capability, and not convinced this is a good way to segment devices.

Kevin

Old 24-08-2010, 11:13 AM

llamaluvr is on a distinguished road
Okay Nokia, you've proven you can make the cheapest....nigh, the SIX cheapest smartphones ever. It's high time to get back to releasing some nicer stuff so all my Android-toting friends will stop making fun of me.

Old 24-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

Call it what you like according to your own peculiar definitions (it is, in fact, a smartphone - using the only accepted definition of the term (i.e. accepted by industry experts and analysts the world over) - runs a smartphone OS that one can install 3rd party apps on).

Fact is:

a.) Ordinary folk can do a LOT more with this than they could with a featurephone BECAUSE it has Symbian and you can install 3rd party apps. All those powerful apps that are available to Symbian on Ovi Store (in the future as well as now) will be available to ordinary Joe Punter. It doesn't matter in the slightest whether he knows his phone runs Symbian, is 'smart' or whatever, point is he reaps the benefits anyway. THAT is the power, and the joy in running Symbian, the world's best mobile OS by FAR.

b.) Android and even more so iPhone simply have no answer to a device of this power at this price point. And it is here at this price point (and below) that it is PROVEN how much much better the engineering, maturity, featureset, and ability of Symbian is over any other smartphone OS out there (and indeed featurephone OS too). Android (etc) is simply not architected and engineered to be able to run on hardware at this price point.

At these sort of price points and below Symbian just hit the turbo boost, floored the accelerator and left Android in the dust.

And just to ram my point home - where is all the future growth in the mobile world? In emerging markets/developing world. And what do they not have? Lots of money. So will be buying a handset with more power at a cheaper price. The only choice being this of thing running Symbian. And the icing on the cake is this segment of the world already loves Nokia far and away beyond other brands.

c.) This sort of device selling many tens of millions is why Symbian will be WAY out in the lead in smartphone sales and market share for a long time to come - the industry fully accepts this device as a smartphone, so Android/iPhone lovers need to stop trying to desperately redefine the term 'smartphone' to make themselves feel better.

d.) How many hundreds of millions of devices running Symbian AND Ovi Store do developers need before the gold rush starts to developing for Symbian? Trust me, this is going to be an app gold rush like you have not seen before.

Old 24-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Unregistered

Not to worry :-)

"Okay Nokia, you've proven you can make the cheapest....nigh, the SIX cheapest smartphones ever. It's high time to get back to releasing some nicer stuff so all my Android-toting friends will stop making fun of me."

The N8, kicks the living shit out of all the Android devices currently available. Just had my hands on it again. Wow....and it is not even Nokia's flagship device. Supposedly that is supposed to be the N9 at the end of the year. Screw that, I am getting a N8 right now!

Old 24-08-2010, 12:45 PM

nwhitfield is on a distinguished road
Performance wise, it would be interesting to see how this compares with, say the N70. Ok, it doesn't have 3G (not did the first iPhone), but add a Bluetooth GPS unit and you could probably run nav software on it, just like I used to do with the N70 and Navicore.

And I'd say that, by that measure, it would surely count as a smart device. Might not have all the bells and whistles, but a lot of people don't actually need those.