All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 20-10-2009, 06:19 PM
MonarchX MonarchX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 142
MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Slow Internet...is it the phone or the connection?

I use AT&T's 3.5G network for data connection. Its my first data phone, so I don't have any other experience. I don't know what the problem is, but my connection times out way tooooooo often. Meaning, when it downloads/uploads - its fast enough for me, but frequently it will just stop for 20 seconds and then continue at OK speeds and then stop again. What is going on? I can't even listen through ONE single track with Mobbler without being interruped like 50 times for 15-20 seconds! Is this normal?

Do the signal strength bars (all phones got them) have same effect on data signal strength? Even at all full bars I keep getting this severe network lag.
Any ideas? Could it be the phone? Could it be because I use inside a huge office building? The signal strength bars are always full here...

  #2  
Old 20-10-2009, 09:41 PM
bchliu bchliu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 515
bchliu is on a distinguished road
Bandwidth is directly proportional to the Signal strength.

My advice for a test is to compare the loading of a heavy webpage between 3.5G and a FAST WiFi if you can get access to one. Also try to download a 1MB or so the benchmark between the two.

If there is differences, then it is the 3.5G reception. Dont hold your hopes up - mobile internet is great, but still not as fast as desktops and wont be until we get bigger memory and bigger storage for caches.
Ads

  #3  
Old 20-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Biggzy's Avatar
Biggzy Biggzy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 629
Biggzy is on a distinguished road
there is a few ways to speed it up abit, if you dont realy view flash video sites then in options select to show Images Only, also disable java script for very fast browsing, if you do goto a video site like youtube just pop into the settings and enable java script again (dnt need to enable flash) you just load the page then click on the space where the video shoud be and it will load and play even with flash disabled, it makes browsing faster, my own site takes aroud 7 seconds to load with JS and flash enabled, with them disabled it takes just 3 seconds, try it and see if it works for you.
__________________
www.SymbianScientist.com

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

  #4  
Old 20-10-2009, 10:04 PM
MonarchX MonarchX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 142
MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Bandwidth is directly proportional to the Signal strength.

My advice for a test is to compare the loading of a heavy webpage between 3.5G and a FAST WiFi if you can get access to one. Also try to download a 1MB or so the benchmark between the two.

If there is differences, then it is the 3.5G reception. Dont hold your hopes up - mobile internet is great, but still not as fast as desktops and wont be until we get bigger memory and bigger storage for caches.
WiFi works fine. See, what I am saying is that my bars are FULL - doesn't that mean that my 3.5G connection has strong signal? Or is that only for conversations?



Also, the speed is OK. Its the time outs that bother me. Even at 10Kbytes/sec it would be fine, but NOT if it just stops in the middle of things! How do I get these 20 second pauses to stop happening? What causes them?

  #5  
Old 20-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Biggzy's Avatar
Biggzy Biggzy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 629
Biggzy is on a distinguished road
thats just the network, im in UK but iv read that AT&T is huge and i supose it gets over crowded at times
__________________
www.SymbianScientist.com

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

  #6  
Old 21-10-2009, 10:18 AM
bchliu bchliu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 515
bchliu is on a distinguished road
Actually.. Had a thought about it and realise that the new feature of the N97 is the "Internet" Destinations mode that consists of various access points. When accessing the internet, it will search the access points in order before coming to the 3G/HSDPA option.

This means if you are starting a new connection or reconnecting a connection, it will try to search for all this beforehand and can take a few seconds before you get there.

  #7  
Old 21-10-2009, 02:24 PM
MonarchX MonarchX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 142
MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
thats just the network, im in UK but iv read that AT&T is huge and i supose it gets over crowded at times
You might be right... Yesterday I rode the bus for 15 minutes and every song on Mobbler was interrupted heavily by long pauses. Today I listened without a single interruption... I guess its the network. What bothers me is not slow speed, but like I said - long pauses in-between slow speeds. Without these pauses I would actually subscribe to Last.fm...

  #8  
Old 21-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Biggzy's Avatar
Biggzy Biggzy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 629
Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
You might be right... Yesterday I rode the bus for 15 minutes and every song on Mobbler was interrupted heavily by long pauses. Today I listened without a single interruption... I guess its the network. What bothers me is not slow speed, but like I said - long pauses in-between slow speeds. Without these pauses I would actually subscribe to Last.fm...
the pauses are prob just the song buffering, this would happen if the network cant keep up with the data then is being transfered to you device via 3G, with so many iPhone users on the network i wouldnt be suprised if it had problems evry now and then with data, i know its annoying but i wouldnt worry about it, i dnt think theres anything you can do.
__________________
www.SymbianScientist.com

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

  #9  
Old 21-10-2009, 03:35 PM
MonarchX MonarchX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 142
MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
the pauses are prob just the song buffering, this would happen if the network cant keep up with the data then is being transfered to you device via 3G, with so many iPhone users on the network i wouldnt be suprised if it had problems evry now and then with data, i know its annoying but i wouldnt worry about it, i dnt think theres anything you can do.
But 3G is ALL that I use! I do not use WiFi or any other access points. So, how can it be fast on 3G and then transfer from 3G to...3G and be slow? That made no sense whatsoever.

  #10  
Old 21-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Biggzy's Avatar
Biggzy Biggzy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 629
Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
But 3G is ALL that I use! I do not use WiFi or any other access points. So, how can it be fast on 3G and then transfer from 3G to...3G and be slow? That made no sense whatsoever.
im not sure lol, give AT&T a call, thats what i would do, at the end of the day your paying for 3G and its not good enough as its not doing what its ment to do, sorry i couldnt be moree helpfull
__________________
www.SymbianScientist.com

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

  #11  
Old 21-10-2009, 04:04 PM
MonarchX MonarchX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 142
MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
im not sure lol, give AT&T a call, thats what i would do, at the end of the day your paying for 3G and its not good enough as its not doing what its ment to do, sorry i couldnt be moree helpfull
Maybe you meant that these interruptions happen when it uses 3G instead of 3.5G?

  #12  
Old 21-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Biggzy's Avatar
Biggzy Biggzy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 629
Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
Maybe you meant that these interruptions happen when it uses 3G instead of 3.5G?
does it switch alot between 3G and 3.5G? If so then that could be the problem.
__________________
www.SymbianScientist.com

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

  #13  
Old 21-10-2009, 04:55 PM
MonarchX MonarchX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 142
MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
does it switch alot between 3G and 3.5G? If so then that could be the problem.
How can I tell? I know the bars are there for voice signal and always at maximum (all bars). I can never tell if I get good data signal though. There is no indicator. There is just this double arrow thing that says 3.5G on top of it... and it interrupts every 10 seconds for 20 seconds...
 

Bookmarks

Tags
connection, internetis, phone, slow

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E71: seems impossible to share internet connection, any ideas? Arcteryx Nokia Eseries S60 3.1 Phones (2nd Generation: E51, E66, E71) 3 25-08-2008 11:50 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:47 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy