All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Unregistered

Cool was erwartet ihr?

das n97 ist mit sicherheit nicht das "high-end" gerät wie es sich manche gewünscht hätten, aber es ist super stylisch und hat genügend power um so gut wie alles was man im alltag brauch zu ermöglichen! wer ernsthaft denkt das ein hero oder iphone besser ist..*lol*..da kann ich nur herzhaft lachen!!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 AM

tnkgrl is on a distinguished road
There is another solution - a DIY hack: http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2009/10/...a-floppy-disk/

Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Unregistered

telling it straight, N97 is never Nokia's flagship....so please Nokia, if you are announcing this phone as flagship, then it's an utter failure! E72 must be the real flagship! But the time taking it to the market is so looooooooooooooooong that by the time it get's there, a lot of samsungs, LGs, etc would be better!

Old 10-10-2009, 02:00 AM
KPO'M

I've about had it with Symbian and Nokia after the lousy GPS performance of the N95, N85 and now N97. I'm willing to give Maemo a chance, but not sure I want to be an early adopter of Nokia phones anymore. I'll be watching the AAM site for people's reaction to the phone.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:42 AM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
Thanks for checking out on the issue about the GPS.

It seems I was very unlucky as I both have the Camera-slider issue and the GPS issue.
That said I went to the store I bought my phone I had one complaint "leftover".(Because when the shop delivered it for fix of the camera slider issue, it took longer time than usual)

I can therefore complain about the service (for the first fix) as well.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 AM

steverh is on a distinguished road
Err - slight problem - the Nokia shop locator page doesn't seem to be working, it just hangs showing;

Area:

Do you know the store name:

In this keyword search field you can enter different search criteria e.g. address, city name, postal code (3 digits minimum) or store name. This helps you to produce more accurate and refined results.
Find

Services:

loading Store Types...
if you manually input a postcode or town then it hangs on "searching ....please wait"
The N97 customer experience for me has been woeful.
Ads

Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
This may sound like a stupid question, but please bear with me because I have to travel quite a long way to get to a Nokia Care Point.

I know because the N97 is only three months old that every single one of them should still be within warranty (unless they've been tampered with, which thankfully mine isn't) but, just in case the people at the shop are difficult, how do I prove that my N97 is still within warranty?

I don't want to have to make an extra journey because I didn't bring everything I needed to bring.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 10-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverh View Post
Err - slight problem - the Nokia shop locator page doesn't seem to be working, it just hangs
Mine does too. It doesn't work in Firefox for some reason, and doesn't work properly in Internet Explorer 8 either. If you have IE8, put it into compatibility view (The broken page icon on the address bar). That worked for me.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 AM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Mine does too. It doesn't work in Firefox for some reason, and doesn't work properly in Internet Explorer 8 either. If you have IE8, put it into compatibility view (The broken page icon on the address bar). That worked for me.
Take your receipt with the date of purchase. Make sure you point this out very clearly and tell them that they need to fix this under warranty. Do not take no for an answer. It now seems that all of us early "complainers" were correct even though some on this site continued to make apologies for the inherent flaws of the phone. I am glad I took mine back especially considering that this is supposed to be a flagship phone.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Take your receipt with the date of purchase. Make sure you point this out very clearly and tell them that they need to fix this under warranty. Do not take no for an answer. It now seems that all of us early "complainers" were correct even though some on this site continued to make apologies for the inherent flaws of the phone. I am glad I took mine back especially considering that this is supposed to be a flagship phone.
Thanks. Dya think it's just a matter of them ordering the part (new back with new lens and GPS shielding) and then I can hand my phone in when they get it?

May be a long shot but they could fix it on the day if they have the part in. That way, I can make a day of it in the town centre while I'm there (Stockport).

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 11-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Unregistered

Replacement of rear assembly

Would replacing the plastic rear assembly as shown in the first pic solve both the lens scratch and gps problems as the gps antenna seems to be part of it?

I'm asking because I had changed the product code so that I could get the latest firmware (3 ain't too quick with their updates) and am aware that this voids the warranty. Would Nokia Care Point check or would they just replace the affected parts regardless as it is a hardware issue?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would replacing the plastic rear assembly as shown in the first pic solve both the lens scratch and gps problems as the gps antenna seems to be part of it?

I'm asking because I had changed the product code so that I could get the latest firmware (3 ain't too quick with their updates) and am aware that this voids the warranty. Would Nokia Care Point check or would they just replace the affected parts regardless as it is a hardware issue?
Your question is a difficult one to answer. Yes, they may check but, as you say, they might not because it's purely a hardware problem and not software. As for it being all in one part, that was why I asked as it appears it's all attached to one piece.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
What's with the "anti-AAS" negativity? If you tried to be this negative on a certain other Symbian site (starts with My by the way), you'd get pretty short-shrift.

As far as I can tell, Steve and Rafe have been fairly even-handed about the N97. They both like it for what it tries to be and have been fairly critical of its flaws, Steve in particular.

However, the truth is, this attempt to fix the faults in the N97 is too little, too late. While there is always a certain element of risk being an early-adopter, Nokia really dropped the ball on this one; it'll be interesting to see if the N97 mini has many improvements over its big brother, or if it's simply more (or should I say less?) of the same...

Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

No, the GPS assembly is NOT part of the plastic cover/frame. Sorry.

And yes, the product code WILL be checked. They checked mine. So you'd have to change it back to the original code etc. Or (for others) DON'T CHANGE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Old 13-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Unregistered

Replacement part number

Anyone know the part number as my Nokia Care Centre hasn't herard of any replacement part. I'm in Australia with an imported phone, so have to pay for a new part!
what a rip off.