All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-02-2009, 05:44 PM

nudger is on a distinguished road
Question N82 Firmware updates and product code changing..

Wondered what people think - I've a N82 with a product code that's limited to V20. I'm interested in updating to V31 and I've got the relevant Euro1 code but...

I keep reading about people that have problems with updates and I'm a little put off because my phone works. I'd love to have the European languages for texting and I'd love a phone with a better battery life, less sensitive auto-rotation and faster operation as some changelogs have suggested.

I get the feeling that people who don't have to change their product codes seem to be OK and wonder if anyone has changed codes using NSS and been successful with an update?

Thanks for your help...

Old 27-02-2009, 12:04 AM

thehaggishunter is on a distinguished road
the rule of "if it aint broke dont fix it" stands here!

however...if you have branded firmware then chances are that your phones 'broke'! Mobile companies like orange/vodafone etc play with the firmware and make the phone a bit crap in doing so.

IMO - It is best to change the code and update the software to the official Nokia one as this will be the most stable and efficient.
Also, it is my thinking that all the scare stories you read on the net about people bricking their phones through code changing/updating are just that-scare stories! This is a very low number of people who end up with a bricked phone and i would also guess that 99% of the time it is their own fault-they will either change it to a wrong code, or play with their phone or PC while updating it!

Best thing to do is do your homework, make sure you pick the right code, then fully charge your phone battery and laptop(if needed). Backup EVERYTHING on your phone, twice! Plug it into PC, fire up the updater, let it run and disapper for half an hour. So many people will move their phone and look at the screen because its flashing or saying somehting on the screen!! (Also make sure any screensavers etc are turned off so they dont interfere)

Hope this helps

Old 27-02-2009, 07:05 AM

Question

Thanks - that does help. I'll build up the courage to go for it but would if anyone else has successfully changed codes and then updated, it would steel my nerves to hear from them.

Interestingly, my phone isn't branded - it's just got a foreign product code. I thought that having a brand new SIM free phone dealt with all these restrictions but apparently not!

Anyone else been successful?!

Old 27-02-2009, 06:31 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudger View Post
Wondered what people think - I've a N82 with a product code that's limited to V20. I'm interested in updating to V31 and I've got the relevant Euro1 code but...
The only negative part of de-branding is that Nokia consider this to be an out-of-warranty situation.

e.g. If your handset needs repaired and it is delivered to Nokia with a higher firmware loaded than matches the product code on the label behind the battery, then they may return the handset to you unrepaired and warranty null and void. (This happened to be in April'08 with a faulty N95).

Old 28-02-2009, 08:14 AM

Smile Finished!

Well, I took the plunge and changed my product code to Euro1 (took around 3 mins including the time to install NSS).

Then I went for the NSU update - which worked! It took just under 15 mins. I followed the instructions and nothing seemed to go wrong. My phone is now updated and all seems to be working well.

Now to see if any of the advantages of the new firmware are worth this...

Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM

Frolf is on a distinguished road
I updated on v31 and didn't notice some benefits of it so far...

Old 10-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Chamlika is on a distinguished road
the new firmware v31.0.016 is buggy

What I've realized is after having the upgrade, the phone gets so sluggish and slows down dramatically after few minutes of talking on the phone. Once this happens, the phone requires a restart to put the phone back into normal speed. So my warning is, "DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE NEW FIRMWARE" and wait until for further firmware updates but not this one.

-Chamlika
Ads