All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-02-2005, 12:12 PM

kennyboy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy probs. in receiving .sis files thru mms

hi, pls help. i'm not able to receive .sis files sent through email to my nokia 6600. i tried changing the extension, but it doesn't help. the phone straight tries to read the attachment and says "unrecognized format".

Old 10-02-2005, 12:24 PM

lakeywhite is on a distinguished road
I have had no problems with this, it could be your firmware version, I kno they did change it in later versions so that certain files couldn't be transfered easily for copyright protection, but this shouldn't affect sis files.
Try saving the attachment somewhere and then installing, is it named correctly? Are you sure it is valid software and not recieved by nefarious means?
The only problem I have had regarding recieving files via email was that the outgoing email virus checker would see that a script file was being sent (which is what a sis file is, Symbian Installation Script or something like that) and then disable it thinking it was a virus, but then the file would ead as corrupt on my 6600 not an unknown format. I just changed outgoing email servers.
I hope that helps.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:36 AM

kennyboy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeywhite
I have had no problems with this, it could be your firmware version, I kno they did change it in later versions so that certain files couldn't be transfered easily for copyright protection, but this shouldn't affect sis files.
Try saving the attachment somewhere and then installing, is it named correctly? Are you sure it is valid software and not recieved by nefarious means?
The only problem I have had regarding recieving files via email was that the outgoing email virus checker would see that a script file was being sent (which is what a sis file is, Symbian Installation Script or something like that) and then disable it thinking it was a virus, but then the file would ead as corrupt on my 6600 not an unknown format. I just changed outgoing email servers.
I hope that helps.
Thanks a bunch friend. But the problem is if i try changing the extension of the file, the phone doesn't show any attachment. In that case how can I access/download the attachment? Yeah the firmware is a valid software from an authorized dealer. Help.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Apocalypso

Cool

Read more about:

http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26

If u need more information, register and donít heisted to ask anything...

Get more guides and advice at:

====================
www.symbian-freak.com

Symbian Freak introduces various researches for symbian users like:
Error Fixes, Modding, Guides, Tutorials and offcourse a detailed forum with professional support.

To get more out of your favourite device, visit the website.