All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Swype for Symbian^1 now available via Nokia Beta Labs

Swype, an alternative text entry system, is now available, via Nokia Beta Labs for most Nokia S60 5th Edition devices. Swype works by tracing one continuous finger (or stylus) movement, across an on-screen QWERTY keyboard, when entering a word. It provides, potentially, a much faster and more accurate way of entering text on touch screen devices, albeit with a small initial learning curve.

Read on in the full article.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Unregistered

The catch-up is accelerating, which is good :-)

Is it just me, or is the come-back/catch-up for Nokia in the high-end accelerating at a hefty pace at the moment?

The last month has been a flow of cool, positive and exciting news. Nice to see, since I would love to stick with Nokia.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, they seem to be on the ground in California's and the East Coast's tech centers with a bag full of money, buying up or striking deals with small but innovative software firms.

I guess better late than never.

Now they need to meet with New York publishers and Hollywood studios to strike some major content deals.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Swype coming to Nokia has probably been the worst kept secret of the last 8 months.

It's good to see it arrive though - especially as an open beta available to most of Nokia's Symbian^1 devices.

I think there'll be more positive news on the way before too long as well. Watch AAS for more!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:57 PM
fahoum

its actually really good!

i have an N97 classic, and this thing is amazing... it did crash once though

Old 01-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

can i use swype for touch typing instead of swiping? i fancy the keyboard layout instead of the default mini qwerty keyboard on mah 5800.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:04 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
So all we need now is the new browser with html 5 support. Bring it on Nokia! BTW I've used swipe to write this post and I love it!

Last edited by krisq; 01-09-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Unregistered

The fact that Swype will be integrated with the N8 did the rounds in the last couple of weeks. Yet another of many very solid reasons to buy an N8 rather than any Android or iPhone (both of which are looking increasingly weak platforms with every new N8, Symbian or Ovi announcement).

The above story is effectively a back-port to Symbian 1 from S3, and kudos to Nokia for showing yet again how it supports and improves existing user's purchases and does not default to cynically trying to force everyone to new products to get the new goodies. On which note yes i believe that the N8 will be allowed to upgrade to S4 when it's out.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:18 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Unable to download. The betalabs site wont let me login... :(

Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yet another of many very solid reasons to buy an N8 rather than any Android or iPhone (both of which are looking increasingly weak platforms with every new N8, Symbian or Ovi announcement).
I was with you until the 'weak platforms' thing. Let's not get crazy.

Sure, the N8 is looking like a good device and a good alternative to the other two platforms you mentioned (though less so for someone Stateside--fewer Ovi services/ less frequent updates/ no customer service or repair centers).

Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 PM

nudger is on a distinguished road
Question

This sounds fun. So it works OK on a resistive touch screen then?

Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudger View Post
This sounds fun. So it works OK on a resistive touch screen then?
The article does say "Swype is currently available for the Nokia 5800, Nokia 5230, Nokia X6, Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini. " All are resistive except the X6.
Ads

Old 01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
I was with you until the 'weak platforms' thing. Let's not get crazy.

Sure, the N8 is looking like a good device and a good alternative to the other two platforms you mentioned (though less so for someone Stateside--fewer Ovi services/ less frequent updates/ no customer service or repair centers).
The N8 may well be a good device, but the various RDFs will mean that it will never be generally accepted as good. It's just not fashionable to praise Nokia. Even faults that are present or worse on other platforms seem only to be a problem for Nokia. Nokia's many strong points are rarely acknowledged.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

Hear hear!

I absolutely agree with the above statement!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
Unable to download. The betalabs site wont let me login... :(
Here -- http://nds2.betalabs.nokia.com/Swype...-betalabs.sisx

Enjoy!