All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #31  
Old 25-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
We always get budget mobiles from Nokia as that seems to be the market that they are bothered about winning,but with Nokia losing touch in the Top Smartphone its that Section they have got to show improvement,People are getting Frustrated with Nokia an the N8,it got people really excited about the N8 in April when we first saw it,but why? have Nokia announced the Official release date yet an the N8 gets delayed all the Time,Nokia will be getting loads of Question targeted at them about the N8,an if it takes them 7 months to get the N8 finally released,how are they going to Compete in the Top Smartphone market,like to see how long we will see the Meego N9 as we have seen images of the phone already an i bet its not released by the 2nd Quarter of 2011,way to long for Nokia,Why are Nokia always to Slow Amazes loads of People
No. Most people are not avid avid phone forum followers and avid people don't scan the web looking for news of new phones. Most people are not getting frustrated waiting for the N8 because most people have never heard of it. When it shows up in the stores and on ad campaigns, then some people will start getting interested.

We, as people who are very interested in the mobile phones available, should remember that we are the very tniy minority and we don't matter very much at all in the grand scheme.

  #32  
Old 25-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No. Most people are not avid avid phone forum followers and avid people don't scan the web looking for news of new phones. Most people are not getting frustrated waiting for the N8 because most people have never heard of it. When it shows up in the stores and on ad campaigns, then some people will start getting interested.

We, as people who are very interested in the mobile phones available, should remember that we are the very tniy minority and we don't matter very much at all in the grand scheme.
True. Nokia could always go and leave an N8 in a German bar toilet.

  #33  
Old 25-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gold Rush Man Returns!

Quote:
How many hundreds of millions of devices running Symbian AND Ovi Store do developers need before the gold rush starts to developing for Symbian? Trust me, this is going to be an app gold rush like you have not seen before.
Repeating this over and over again doesn't make it true, my friend. It only sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision.

Less convincingly each time. Best of luck with it, anyway ;-)

  #34  
Old 25-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Jimmy1 Jimmy1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 113
Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Because all indication is that is where they are headed.

They have hinted that the N8 isn't their new flagship, and that MeeGo devices will be announced by the end of the year. They have also started using the term "superphone," apparently recognizing that the "smartphone/featurephone" distinction is being blurred as technology advances.

As Android is starting to move to the midmarket, Nokia is looking to move further downmarket with Symbian (mostly with the aging Symbian^1).

While there will be some commonality between Symbian^4 and MeeGo because of the commong QT platform, note that it will be a stretch to think that Nokia's Symbian^1 positioning at the low end really plays into that strategy. Symbian^4 is yet another compatibility break (with Symbian^3 being the temporary bridge), as it relies on QT. However, Symbian^4 (and Symbian^3 for that matter) will not run on devices like the 5250, at least for the foreseeable future.

With the common development platform, plus MeeGo's Linux underpinnings (better suited to the "superphones" and tablet devices to compete with the likely iOS devices) it becomes difficult to see what Symbian^4's role is long term.

Rafe suggests as much with his earlier comments about how the Symbian/MeeGo split is appearing "shrewd" (if, IMO, somewhat accidental). Clearly, Symbian is optimized for lower-end hardware, while MeeGo is better suited to the newer devices down the pipeline with dual core processors and lots of RAM. Symbian was never intended for such powerful devices, so it makes more sense for Nokia to go in a different direction. Given how long it has taken for Symbian to evolve into the touch device market (recall the early announcements were made shortly after the original iPhone debuted), it's clear that it has proven more difficult to adapt than anticipated.

Surely Nokia would rather have had an OS like Symbian^3 a year or even two years ago, with Symbian^4 coming out now. But they didn't. They are now finally entering Q4-10 with an OS that addresses consumer perception that Symbian was behind Android and iOS.

Nokia's semi-retraction of its earlier intimation that future N-series devices would be MeeGo-only seems more like a temporary reaction to avoid scaring developers away. They need developers to embrace Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 since that will be their bread and butter until MeeGo hits the mainstream. Long term, it seems pretty clear that Nokia sees MeeGo as their ticket back to preeminence at the high end.
Best comment on this thread.
Ads

  #35  
Old 25-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Best comment on this thread.
I disagree.


In fact I do wonder why people are here trying to argue that their way is everybody's way.

I suggest that rather than whingeing on about it all, take your own preferred choice and get on with it. Because in the end, it really doesn't matter.

There's more to life.

If you love Android, go play in an Android forum.

Unless you feel some kind of inner insecurity and need to convince yourself that you have made the right choice. In which case, go into a Symbian forum and continually post anti-symbian arguments. You might even start to feel better.

I can make up my own mind.

  #36  
Old 25-08-2010, 04:50 PM
xerxes xerxes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 404
xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I disagree.


In fact I do wonder why people are here trying to argue that their way is everybody's way.

I suggest that rather than whingeing on about it all, take your own preferred choice and get on with it. Because in the end, it really doesn't matter.

There's more to life.

If you love Android, go play in an Android forum.

Unless you feel some kind of inner insecurity and need to convince yourself that you have made the right choice. In which case, go into a Symbian forum and continually post anti-symbian arguments. You might even start to feel better.

I can make up my own mind.
What he said

  #37  
Old 27-08-2010, 02:38 PM
KPOM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Best comment on this thread.
Thanks. Despite my criticism, I think Nokia is a good company that can regain its way. However, the window is starting to close, so its critical that they get MeeGo and Symbian^4 ready soon. Having made the jump from Symbian to Android, I can't see going back to a Symbian phone right now, but I could see going for a MeeGo phone if they make one with a similar form factor to the Nexus One, and can manage to get some decent app support going. Maemo had a fair amount of things available for technical people, but what I'm looking for are the everyday consumer applications like Earthcomber, Opentable, and mobile banking. Sure, I could use the browser, but a lot of times an optimized mobile app works better. A working version of Ovi Maps is a must, too.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
5250, announce, nokia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[HOT][NEW] N80 RM-92 IE APAC PR v15.00 SW4.0632.0.38 juato4 Nokia N80 176 25-04-2007 03:19 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy