All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Z06 is on a distinguished road
Question Soon to be owner with Couple ?'s

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum, i'm about to get my N95 sometime next week and i have a few concerns, I have heard all about the battery and most people are turning to the alternative battery that changes the cover, i have found these on this site, dnt know if they are for sale as yet though!

roberthall.vox.com/library/post/n95accessories-accessories

Other thing which im really fascinated with is the GPS, i never had one and never even played with one until the N95, i live in Belize (Caribbean), tried it for the first time at the airport where i work and it picked up rather quickly but my thing is, where can i get maps or how do i get my images to have roads and streets or highways? all i see is just land without roads? Google earth has the most accurate image to date that i've seen, how can i get something more up to date? Thanx

Last edited by Z06; 19-10-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Old 19-10-2007, 11:09 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid you won't get any road maps on your N95. Belize is on the list of countries that are not covered by the mapping software.

So the GPS feature is pretty much useless for you unless you visit a country which is supported.

Old 19-10-2007, 11:58 PM

dang, that hurts! anyway google earth or google maps can help? sorry for the questions but i dnt know anything about it. All it did was find the airports and airstrips!
Can i even move around the country and wherever the GPS picks me up, can i mark the area as a landmark if it is? Anything???

Last edited by Z06; 20-10-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Ads

Old 21-10-2007, 02:01 AM

anyone else, is google maps gonna do anything, i stumbled upon this site with the closest names to streets maplandia.com/belize/
can i edit stuff on the map from my n95, like can i put the names of streets or where gas stations are located, if someone can provide me a more detail map and needs the name of places, i can give a ton! i just dont want my gps to go to waste, its my first and im amazed by the thing!

Old 21-10-2007, 07:28 AM

sturgeon is on a distinguished road
Yes Google maps for N95 will work for tracking yourself around Belize and there are other applications like Nokia Sports Tracker should be useful too, see below.

http://digitalurban.blogspot.com/200...-tracking.html

You can use ShoZu to geotag your N95 photos too.

s.

Old 21-10-2007, 08:28 AM

trendsbze is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 View Post
anyone else, is google maps gonna do anything, i stumbled upon this site with the closest names to streets maplandia.com/belize/
can i edit stuff on the map from my n95, like can i put the names of streets or where gas stations are located, if someone can provide me a more detail map and needs the name of places, i can give a ton! i just dont want my gps to go to waste, its my first and im amazed by the thing!
ZO6, I am also from Belize. In Italy now returning next week. I too am getting the N95 before I return, US EDITION.
About the maps, I have been trying to find some for the last year to work with my GPS on my windows mobile without any luck. Google maps is very limited for Belize. Since our little country is growing so fast, maybe this will change soon. I share your frustration. Maybe we can compare notes on our N95's in a few weeks. I will research this in New York this week and let you know if there is any update on Belize maps.

Old 21-10-2007, 08:59 PM

hey trendsbze, ive seen your name on another forum while looking around for these maps, i mean anything other than what ive seen displayed by the gps would be better! there is a guy on belizeforums that says he has a detailed map that can locate hotels, gas station, etc! i don't know anything about these, as im new to gps! google maps would probably be the closest bet right?

Old 21-10-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Yes Google maps for N95 will work for tracking yourself around Belize and there are other applications like Nokia Sports Tracker should be useful too, see below.

You can use ShoZu to geotag your N95 photos too.

s.
Are you sure man?i came across that site before and just recently found out that google maps will work on N95 but does it have an updated map? can someone please post a map or something from their N95 or other mobile device with street names and other places, i heard about sports tracker too but gotta wait until i get my phone, is there a micro sd sold from any gps mapping company that i can buy for belize?

I just need to understand how the heck this thing works, is there anyway i can edit what's on google earth, enter names of places and upload back to the N95? and when the satellites track my location it will bring up the updated map that i edited? Also does the GPS need to have GPRS or Wi-Fi all the time to show my location? sorry for all the questions but i have no clue! I just need to actually see evidence that their is an updated map with street names and building names for belize and that it can work on the N95! and ill be happy!

also can smart2go provide maps for belize? if anyone has any programs or apps for N95 that will bring a updated map can you please show me or point me to that program. i understand smart2go is owned by nokia and the maps are free? just that if you want voice navigation you need to pay then! am i close?

Last edited by Z06; 22-10-2007 at 12:09 AM.