All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-11-2009, 06:05 PM

nwhitfield is on a distinguished road
E55 text entry

Having played with an E55 in the Nokia shop today, I'm reasonably impressed with the keypad.

But, the biggest thing - and a potential deal breaker for me, as otherwise I think I prefer the form factor to that of the E72 - is entering a comma.

Trying my standard test for a keyboard, entering a poem into a text message, it just seemed impossible to get a comma in any straightforward way. Sure, there's a key with a comma on it, but holding it down, or pressing shift or anything else just doesn't seem to do it.

The only way was using the symbol key. Is it really that completely stupid? After all, a comma is not exactly uncommon in most languages.

If you have an E55, I'd love to hear how to manage to enter a comma, and how much hassle you find it.

Yes, I could simply not use them, but that would be vulgar and ungrammatical.

Old 15-11-2009, 10:36 PM

daerragh is on a distinguished road
You simply press the button twice. Shift enables you to inser a ';' sign quickly, qithout a need of pressing the button four times. Which is probably a firmware bug cause shift + dot button should insert a ':' sign, because it is the first upper sign on this button. The button works this way: 1st press '.', 2nd ',', 3rd ':', 4th (or shift + button) ';'. Well maybe the phone you used had a broken kaypad or sth. Anyway, E55 firmware is buggy but not as much as ppl say + we got the first firmware update recently but i had no opportunity to update my device. I can only hope it's much better and hackable.

Old 16-11-2009, 10:00 AM

If I pressed the key twice in predictive text mode, then I got .. and then it turned to ;-) or some other such nonsense.

Pressing twice would be easy. But it really wasn't - unless you turn off the predictive system, in which case you have a worse keyboard to use, not a better one, in my view.

Old 16-11-2009, 08:58 PM

daerragh is on a distinguished road
Oh... I didn't come with an idea you might be using predictive text input. I don't use because I use lots of polish slang words.

It's really a strange thing about this button. But, as I said, E55 is quite buggy (but not so much) and I hope the latest firmware fixes at least most of them. However, I don't update my device yet, because no one has confirmed if it is hackable. Does anyone know if it can be hacked?
Ads

Old 16-11-2009, 11:38 PM

dstokoe is on a distinguished road
Hi

In predictive if you press 'down' on the cursor pad after pressing '.' the comma is the next one on the list - so still 3 presses:- 1 for the '.' 2 for the down to the comma then 3 (space or centre button) to move on.

I agree with you though that this button doesn't seem to work as you'd expect

Old 17-11-2009, 09:41 AM

In the end, the thought of suffering poor punctuation has been enough to make me go for an E72 instead, which I picked up yesterday. But thanks for the replies.

Old 28-11-2009, 07:43 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstokoe View Post
Hi

In predictive if you press 'down' on the cursor pad after pressing '.' the comma is the next one on the list - so still 3 presses:- 1 for the '.' 2 for the down to the comma then 3 (space or centre button) to move on.

I agree with you though that this button doesn't seem to work as you'd expect
I just wanted to verify this post. Yes, it matters whether you're in predictive or multitap mode.

My gripe as an E55 owner though is that symbol entry is actually inconsistent.

If you press the symbol shift key and try to enter a + sign on the "sym" key, then that key actually works in a multi-tap mode (1 press gives you "*", 2 presses gives you "+"). If you try to apply that process to the full-stop/comma/colon/semi-colon key, you'd expect to get a colon (as that is the first symbol on the top-row), although you get a semi-colon, and a second press only registers as a new character input, so rather than a colon, you get a semi-colon and a full stop.

You get used to this and adapt as you go along. Although, for a new user it takes a lot of getting used to, and I don't think there's much excuse for such an inconsistency.

Just to be balanced though, I do think the E55 keyboard, in general, is brilliant, and I can get a very good typing speed with it. I would say that I can achieve the same speed on both a T9 keyboard and an half-qwerty keyboard, although it takes far less effort with half-qwerty.

Old 14-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Irrique09 is on a distinguished road
E55 text entry

the last conversation I had with a representative wasnt so nice. The prior owner of my number must have seen a lame ole advertisement on TV and subscribed to one of them BS things. I know Im not getting charged "per text" but I know for a fact theres a subscription with a big bill.

Old 19-12-2009, 03:36 AM

appeame09 is on a distinguished road
E55 text entry

I pay like 5 for unlimited texting, so its really the most affordable way to communicate for me, hence the excitement about T9. Ive done the alpha modes and Ill take predictive text over em any day.