All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The E55 gets the treatment

Just a little weekend link of interest: a writer with the marvellous name of Hagop Kavafian for the NokiaLB site has produced a detailed and fairly insightful review of the Nokia E55. Do take his opinion of the E55's camera with a pinch of salt though - I don't think he really understood the idea behind EDoF (Extended Depth of Field) and I'm tempted to suggest that there might have been dirt on his E55's camera glass....

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Hagop Kavafian)

Article E55 Review on NokiaLB

Hey Steve,
Thanks so much for your link! The camera wasn't dirty but I think I'm too used to NSeries cameras, which may have lead me to be a little bit too harsh with the E55's camera. I honestly think it could have been much better, especially with the addition of an autofocus feature. I must confess that I'm not that good in photography, that's more Rita's domain!

Thanks again!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Unregistered

Responsivness

Steve nice link to an alternatie voice - any chance you could give your opinion of his"Reactive" point (N series vs E series).

Worst thing for me with current N73 is sluggishness, particularly in the camera function - embaressed to use with friends around (but great pictures) - and girlfriend would wallk off if I threatened to look up something using the maps! I know we are probably talking seconds but it affects the overall experience quite a lot - I would be prepared to pay for really snappy response.

Would like something like N97 mini form factor but also the speedy response the review describes - it would be nice to hear your ideas of comparitive responsiveness when reviewing different phones (including some of our older models). You discuss RAM and disk space in reviews but it is hard to relate that to actual satisfaction in day to day use and compare different models. But still love AAS :-)

I worry Nokia may have chosen to keep speed as a series difference between E & N which has the effect of penalising the customer who wants their the best they can offer.
Ads

Old 08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Unregistered

E55 Keyboard for languages other than English

Anybody has experience of how this keyboard works with languages that use diacritical marks? (Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, almost anything but English). Coming from Finland, I would suspect they contemplate this, but you never know. Are all letters with accents considered "symbols" and have to be searched in lists or tables?

That would be importand for me, as I cannot write even the words "Spain" or "Spanish" if limited to the directly available keys.