All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight 83 - Nokia - Microsoft, Q2 and E55

In All About Symbian Insight 83 (AAS Podcast 145), Rafe and Steve discuss the enterprise focused alliance between Microsoft and Nokia and ponder its implications. Steve shares news of Gartner's Q2 smartphone shipment figures, before moving on to first thoughts on the Nokia E55. We then answer some reader questions. You can listen to AAS Insight 83 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-08-2009, 12:32 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Two remarks:
1. Market share is just half of the picture. Profit is the other half. What's really remarkable about Apple is not just that it has gained market share, but that it managed to do it with a high-end device with a high profit margin. Nokia has managed to limit its market share losses thanks to low-end and mid-range devices like the 5800 which have rather low profit margin. This explains why Goldman is so pessimistic about Nokia's financial outlook.
2. SymNC allows you to do WiFi file sharing between phones (and your computer too!), although for a price. Nokia owns the SymSMB code copyrights (it turns out that the two programmers who wrote SymSMB did so while they were Nokia's employees, so by contract Nokia and not Telexy owns the rights to the software). Why doesn't Nokia add SMB client/server capabilities to its phones, using the SymSMB code?
Ads

Old 19-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Unregistered

Podcast link not working?

Any one else having difficulty getting this podcast from iTunes and Nokia's Podcasting application? Neither program can download..

Old 19-08-2009, 01:58 AM

rlaskey is on a distinguished road
Yarp, there's a problem with the RSS media link. It is currently: http://mediafiles.allaboutsymbian.co...090817_144.mp3 and it should be: http://mediafiles.allaboutsymbian.co...090817_145.mp3

You can download via the second link, though this doesn't fix things via the Podcasting app, etc. (iTunes as well, I assume).

Old 19-08-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackN91 View Post
Who have told you that "Nokia owns the SymSMB code copyrights"?
SymSMB Now Owned By Nokia
SymSMB - Now under Nokia Licence, but at what cost?

Last edited by rvirga; 19-08-2009 at 05:10 AM.

Old 19-08-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
^^^
It is a matter of who do you trust more.
Exactly. Do I trust (a) an official statement from Telexy, posted on their website, emailed by Telexy to all registered SymSMB users, and being reported by many Nokia-centric websites, or (b) some random forum dude, who claims that somehow got hold of a Nokia representative in the middle of the night (it was late night here in Europe when I posted my first message, and early in the morning when I posted the reply) and asked him? I don't know about you, but I'd go with (a).

Last edited by rvirga; 19-08-2009 at 06:52 AM.

Old 19-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Have now fixed the RSS feed....

Old 19-08-2009, 09:27 AM

BlackN91, quit embarrassing yourself. The official statement from Telexy (definitely not a rumor!), which was posted in November on their company website, and that at the time I read with my own two eyes, is quoted verbatim and in its entirety on the second link I provided. Have you read it? Are you even capable of parsing English sentences? In it, not only they admit that they don't own the rights to SymSMB, and hope that Nokia in the future will integrate that code in their OS, but they also explain in detail the legal reasons why they don't own the code. Namely, that the developers who wrote it at the time were full-time Nokia employers, and that their employment contract contained a clause (this too quoted in the statement) that said "All Proprietary Property which Employee may develop in the course of employment with Company, whether alone or jointly with others, shall be the exclusive property of company...''. Do you understand what being "the exclusive property of Nokia" means? If not, find someone who can explain it to you.
It's clear that, after consulting with a Customer Care guy who was as clueless as you were on the situation (and how could he be otherwise? They're there to answer technical questions, they don't work for Nokia's legal department) and coming to the wrong conclusions, you're now trying to save face; but in this case you can't, so please STFU.
Edit: here's the official statement from Telexy, which was posted on the company's homepage in November, so that anybody with an understanding of the English language can read it and make his/her own mind on what it means:
Quote:
Attention SymSMB users.

Telexy Networks, Inc. discontinues further development, support and distribution of SymSMB product line.

Two of Telexy Networks programmers worked full-time for Nokia during SymSMB development. Nokia's employment agreement contains a paragraph stating that "All Proprietary Property which Employee may develop in the course of employment with Company, whether alone or jointly with others, shall be the exclusive property of company...''. Based on this agreement Nokia has demanded all rights for SymSMB.

We offer our sincere apologies to all SymSMB users and those simply interested in the product for any inconvenience. On the other hand, this can be an opportunity for SymSMB technology to be incorporated into all Nokia smartphones and become a differentiating feature of S60 platform. Telexy team is ready to provide any support Nokia may need.

If you like this idea you can share your opinion on our forum: forum.telexy.com

Telexy Networks is currently considering opportunities for new products and business ideas. We are open for discussion ( business@telexy.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ).

Sincerely yours,
Telexy Networks, Inc.

Last edited by rvirga; 19-08-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Old 19-08-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ask right department.
Yes, absolutely. And also move 'Zig', for great justice.

Old 19-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Huschke2go

Ovi Store re-download

I also don't see any reason why I am not able to re-download my purchases on the Ovi Store. Surprisingly so do the people I talked to at Ovi Store Customer Support. The also told me

Additionally despite the fact that the user you are refering to was unable to get his apps back, I had quite a different experience. I had absolutely no problems getting my apps back.

Old 20-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

Funny how Steve hated on the M600 and P1 (excellent) "half qwerty" keyboards and now seems to love similar Nokia approach...

Old 20-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I agree on the p1i keyboard. It is the one thing I truly miss from that phone. It would be on any phone too small for a full qwerty if I had a say in things. It took a few days to get used to. But once I had it dialled in it rocked. And unless you have very fat fingers I say if you don't like it you haven't used it enough. Of course a full qwerty is still preferred but it is a good second.

Old 21-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

@ BlackN91

Jesus Christ, give it a rest why don't you....

Old 21-08-2009, 10:25 PM
gdigenis

I would love to see a phone like the n86 with a slideout keyboard like the E55 and a touchscreen. This could have the best of all worlds in a small form factor.