All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-02-2007, 01:51 AM

skagen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS View Post
As regards whom Nokia listens to, I am concerned that - as far as their business devices - they are not listening at all and the poor performance of the business devices division is the best proof thereof....
...Hope Nokia will realise sooner than later (before they are forced to close the business devices division) that a PIM is one of the key applications for business power users... Not only on e90 but also on other e series devices...
Nokia is already laying off people in that division, as we speak. But hey let the apologists continue defending them. The "majority" of Enterprise and business users is apparently voting with their dollars - at other people's shops.

Old 26-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Unregistered

E90

I see that the E90 has quadband GSM/EDGE however does it have triband (850+1900+2100) UMTS to enable UMTS use in Americas as well as European environment?
Mike
Ads

Old 27-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

Rafe,

You said that: The 2.5mm jack includes composite TV support and final E90s should ship with a proper TV out cable.

Have you had confirmation of this? Other sites seem to think that TV out will not be supported... Really hope it is

Old 01-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Unregistered

wuold an E90 made for European market works in the US?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post

on my WM5 device (HTC Universal) I cannot sync categories for Outlook Notes! Even M$ can't everything right. And WM5 can't even render HTML emails! If you don't like the E90 don't buy one. Also my 2MP P990 outshines the camera and video on my HTC Universal. And my K800i camera quality is in a different league to any HTC device I have used (Universal & TyTN).

Also please name ONE WM device that is a phone size package that has ALL the following: 3G/UMTS, HSDPA, GPS & 3MP camera (or even a 2MP camera).

jah, how about the upcoming HTC P4550 aka HTC Kaiser as just "ONE WM device" having "ALL" of your precious 3G/UMTS, HSDPA, GPS & 3MP camera plus HSUPA and (oh yes) this HTC P4550 is a bit more phone sized (at 110 x 58 x 18 mm versus E90's 132 x 57 x 20 mm) and less heavy (at 160g versus E90's 210g) !

It also has a pressable rotary scroll wheel for one handed support and touchscreen for handwriting support to boot !

Sadly though, this HTC Kaiser is missing stereo speakers, TV and FM radio support and still uses a stupid proprietary ExtUSB for audio jack !

Old 11-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Sal73

hello fellas.
thanks for the nice discussion regarding the PIM functions on the new E90. personally, i have never used a single WM based phone neither have I used the communicators ever.
i got a silly question, I'm assuming you you can sync most functions for outlook if not all such as the emails, contacts, calneders, tasks and notes, right?

as for WM phones, i heard from many that usually the phones are not too well built and have many problems. I;m afraid that even a newer version of WM (WM 6) will even be less stable than its predecessor.

As for what BDS said with regards to the dilemma his organization had with regards to choosing either the older communicator version or the blackberry, i think the E90 along with E61/E61i have solved the problem concerning the download of emails using the blackberry newtwork, right?

I'm interested to know what the follow up reviews from E90 will say with regards to the business functions of the phone. i have almost the same concerns as BDS with regards to the PIM functions. but im even further worried with WM phones as most manufacturers are a bit dubious (taiwanese) and if you try to visit one of their websites you will know what you may be getting yourself into!

How about the blackberry phone itself? th enew one i think its called 8800?

thanks.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Wink Nokia is from Finland

"skagen".. hmmm. I think we are dealing with an SE shill.

Old 13-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Unregistered

Phone Handset e90 communicator

the e90 really one of the exceptionally desined communicators and is only all in one 3g communication machine which is lasses with every 3g feature.hopefully every communicator lover will go for it like anything.undoubtly very elegant and imppressive device nokia has ever made.and price expected to be in the range of previous communicators with more powerfull battery and no hang ups

Old 14-03-2007, 01:14 AM

dansus is on a distinguished road
My heart sank when i read 2.5mm jack and no word highlighting in browser. A2DP is very welcome. (at last)

Otherwise, a neat device. may well replace my e61 if i like the kboard.

Old 16-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

E90 speed in use

I too have been dragged along this path by a love of Psions...The 5MX was a great machine. At that time the mobile telephony was provided in a separate device - like the SH888 (blimey how *old* am I?)

Anyway, I have been disappointed by recent Nokias in that the functionality has been piled in but the performance has taken a massive hit. Remember monochrome phones that were just phones, sure there were slow ones too, but you rarely spent time *waiting* for a phone to respond to a keystroke.

Nokia peaked with the 6310i in my view, although the 6230i is pretty good. I *hate* waiting for a phone to catch up with me, but the 6680 *and* the E61 make me wait for bloody ages, showing me a blank screen while it decides whether or not it's going to divulge the number for a contact or the text of a message that's been received.

So, my question is, does the E90 *feel* fast, do you spend time waiting for it, or would you describe it as responsive?

Blimey, I mean soldiers still have frequency agile encrypted radios the size of rucsacks in the field, and so I don't mean to be churlish to whinge about the way that these incredible pieces of technolofy work, but sometimes I think that they push it just that little too far and the usability suffers as a result

Old 17-03-2007, 11:58 AM
athreya

newbie questions

i am new to the world of Symbian and Communicators (have played around a little with the e61 and liked it).

1.Does the E90 have Blackberry Push email via BB connect? The official specs dont seem to say so.

2. Can one project PPTs thru a VGA out to an external screen? Does it have a VGA out?

3. i use a lot of ppt. Does the software support full animation and other features of the Office 2007?

4.A few things from the specs that i didnt quite follow: What is the Nokia Wireless Presenter?? Whats VOIP 2.1? Can it do Skype?

5. Can one SMS or email short voice notes? (say upto one minute?) instead of typing them?

6. How much better or worse is the keyboard as compared to say the e61 or a blackberry? i can only thumb type! And what can the e90 Do which the e61i cannot?

grateful for your thoughts.

Old 23-03-2007, 10:24 PM

The_Saint is on a distinguished road
Can't stand touchscreens.

I personally believe that the QWERTY keyboard and the clamshell design isn't going anywhere. I've been using the Nokia Communicator since the first 9000 came out. I've had the 9110i and 9210i as well as a 9300 which I left for a 9500.

Now the devices aren't exactly perfect. They miss a few features that I really would liked the Communicator to have had, but as for the qwerty keyboard and the clamshell design is what I really appreciate in these units.

I really can't stand writing text messages and email's with a touch screen. I've owned a P910i and got really fed up with it. It was a great device, but I honestly prefer the qwerty layout, much easier for me.

I also like the clamshell design because it allows me to keep the inside screen scratch free. Not only that, I don't need to worry about scratching the screen because I'm using a stylus.

I was honestly hoping that the 9500 would have at least a 1.3mpx camera and 3G, but now the E90 has come out, I don't really need to worry about that as I'll be switching to it as soon as it hits the shelves.

Anyways, great review on the E90!

The Saint

Old 28-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

Launch Date

When is the nokia e90 being launched?

thanks

Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Unregistered

Black and White

I still miss those old black and white screen Psions... I've been using the Psion 3c and then the Psion 5... too bad the line has been cut... sigh...

What I'll really like to see is some company pick up from where Psion 5mx left off... minus the touchscreen, larger unit with more comfy keyboard... that'll really make any writer fork out the cash...

Oh... btw, I still prefer the black and white screen over colour screens... cos they're easier on the eyes and consume less energy...

Old 06-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Unreered

Fantastic E90 review:

my-symbian.com/s60v3/review_e90.php