All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 PM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
And the flamewar has begun....but what scare's me most is that we have more Symbian/Nokia haters than Apple/iPhone/Google/Android fanboys...just hate!

And still ignoring the fact...Nokia is selling alot...so why so many people keep telling us that is DEAD!!!!

Not everyone is meant to make a difference.
But for me the choice to live an ordinary life is no longer an option.

If there was no GOD it would be neccessary to invent him.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The iPhone and Android influence reflects USA culture very well, there people expect to be spoon-fed and prefer not to put effort in. It's like their auto-cars versus Euro manual gearboxes. To them the stick-shift and clutch pedal is a terrible user interface. To the european it makes you more of a driver, and you put in a small amount of effort and practice and shifting become second-nature and you forget you are declutching and moving the gear lever.

Same with phones, Nokia, even the old Symbian isn't very difficult to use, if you just choose to engage a small amount of cerebral activity. People should try it more often, it does you good. Just like your body the brain, if not exercised, will become lardy and fat and gorged on a billion MaciPhone calories and App Store fries washed down with fl.oz's of sugar-syrup iTunes coke.

Unfortunately this dumbing down - drive-thru culture is affecting europe now too. I admire those nations such as France that are putting up some resistance. Alas even they are succumbing to the lard-arse land where those electric carts carry the obese through Disney parks.
Dumbest, most jealousy, third-world ridden post ever.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisX View Post
And the flamewar has begun....but what scare's me most is that we have more Symbian/Nokia haters than Apple/iPhone/Google/Android fanboys...just hate!

And still ignoring the fact...Nokia is selling alot...so why so many people keep telling us that is DEAD!!!!
You are spot on. Nokia is selling a lot but my only point is what are they selling? Cheap phones are what Nokia is synonymous with. When people think of Nokia, they do not see a premium brand, but a company selling cheap phones.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dumbest, most jealousy, third-world ridden post ever.
Truth sting does it? Poor you. LOL!

I really yearn for Macdonalds and electric fat-carts. Me jealous of that? Hell yeah! Hot diggety!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Same old same old.

If you guys use your phones alot more than symbian phones, why the heck if they are so good do you's spend so much time bashing another platform instead of actually using them?

Lets hope the upcoming changes to AAS put a stop to all this whining.

Android and Iphone might be good systems, but I can also seeing growing contempt for them across the net.

If you have nothing good to say about symbian, go to a site about your respective OS and get over yourselves.

Nokia might not be doing well in the high end market, but better by shipping vast volumes in the mid to lower end. But what happens when one of those users wants to upgrade? your average joe user will stick with what they know for along time and will follow the symbian upgrade path.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
You are spot on. Nokia is selling a lot but my only point is what are they selling? Cheap phones are what Nokia is synonymous with. When people think of Nokia, they do not see a premium brand, but a company selling cheap phones.
Even as cheap phones as you may call it I know many people here in Greece that prefer them than some flashy iPhones even if they have the money to buy one. I know many people too that really hate all this touch craziness and want the old days of classic keyboards. That's why Nokia sells like crazy...

I had a conversation with a friend and he was really back to the days of Symbian S60 ver.2. He wanted a new phone but he hates touch screen phones... and whatever I suggested him, he didn't like..."N8, good but only touch?" "N900, I have tried it, its not for me" "Don't even mention iPhone, I hate it" "Samsung Galaxy S, you said Samsung? ARE YOU KIDDING ME" "SE Xperia X10, hmmm it seems nice but I don't know, I'm not used to the UI"

In the end he was asking for something like N93 (that doesn't exist a new successor)...but he will keep an eye on the N8 especially for the built quality...guess even Nokia doesn't notice something and goes with the rest touch craziness....

But either way you cant say that E72 is a cheap phone....

Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 PM

andynugent is on a distinguished road
No Symbian brand

Do you not think part of the problem is that there's no Symbian brand?

None of the devices have the Symbian logo in the advertising, on the boot up screen, etc.

There's nothing an average consumer can recognise as being Symbian, so the main stream press aren't going to walk about something they'd need to explain.

Even Nokia's series of phones, apart from the E-Series, aren't entirely based on Symbian.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Face the fact, Symbian phones are not exciting nor do they make the users want to do things with the phone. This is the fact that continues to escape the "Nokia sells millions more phones" a month crowd. The phones they sell are not high-end phones and they simply continue to be boring, workman phones that no one is interested in just pulling out of their pocket to play with.
BINGO ! I could not have said it better.

Let me present a car analogy:

I am sure Hyundai sells a lot more of their cars than let’s say a BMW or Mercedes does.

But… if you had a choice which one would you choose? Starting to get the point now? Hyundai makes common cars for the masses (I have nothing against Hyundai by the way) that are cheap and predictable. Are Hyundai cars exciting for the car enthusiasts? Nah… probably not so much.

Which brings me to my last point. Nokia has chosen Meego for their high end N-Series phones. It is Meego that is Nokia’s only chance at bringing them some respectability.

So, AAS can shout all they want about how many Nokia 5800s sell. What is the point?

I kinda understand where AAS is coming from… Symbian is British just like AAS is. But c’mon guys you’re pushing the boundaries of common sense.
Ads

Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
BINGO ! I could not have said it better.

Let me present a car analogy:

I am sure Hyundai sells a lot more of their cars than let’s say a BMW or Mercedes does.

But… if you had a choice which one would you choose? Starting to get the point now? Hyundai makes common cars for the masses (I have nothing against Hyundai by the way) that are cheap and predictable. Are Hyundai cars exciting for the car enthusiasts? Nah… probably not so much.

Which brings me to my last point. Nokia has chosen Meego for their high end N-Series phones. It is Meego that is Nokia’s only chance at bringing them some respectability.

So, AAS can shout all they want about how many Nokia 5800s sell. What is the point?

I kinda understand where AAS is coming from… Symbian is British just like AAS is. But c’mon guys you’re pushing the boundaries of common sense.
Actually I believe Nokia is more of a Toyota and not a Hyundai...they have the Nokia brand and also the Vertu brand (like Toyota has Lexus). Nokia's phones are not so bad or cheap as they are for example alcatel and LG phones... :p

Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
I'd really like to see a move away from this numbers game, you can twist numbers any way you want to bolster or discredit a point of view. What Nokia/Symbian need to produce is the N8 and E7, on sale in your local store, then let the phone and OS do the talking. Anything else is just foreplay!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

Talking about media.

I saw a post about the new Nike+ App on engadget. Some one commented about comparing it and doing a review of the Sports Tracker app (which is claimed to be better).

And now, that post has been deleted.

Just proves that the US media is attracted to the shiny stuff.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Unregistered

When was the last time Nokia released a product where people stood in line to be one of the first to own it? Hmmmm..... Never I think....

Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

It comes down to this. Some people like Nokia, some don't. Some like Apple, some don't. Neither company is going away anytime soon. Nokia will continue to sell phones as will Apple. Who cares?

Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 PM

marxian is on a distinguished road
Dear An-droids/iFanboys,

You seem to have taken a wrong turning somewhere. Allow me to direct you back home: Go Home

Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 AM

Will81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
Nokia might not be doing well in the high end market, but better by shipping vast volumes in the mid to lower end. But what happens when one of those users wants to upgrade? your average joe user will stick with what they know for along time and will follow the symbian upgrade path.
The profit margins for low to mid range phones is tiny compared to the margins Apple, Samsung or HTC are making from their high-end phones. There are even suggestions that Apple makes more profit selling iPhones than Nokia selling smartphones. Not sure whether it is true but the thought is frightening.

As for your upgrade argument, I don't agree. Using the car analogy, if you're driving a cheap Hyundai and you want to upgrade to something a lot more expensive, you're not going to buy an expensive Hyundai. You're gonna buy a BMW.