All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia N97 Review - Part 2 - Touch-screen multimedia

In the second part of our multi-part, multi-author review series on the Nokia N97, I look at its multimedia functions, including camera (superb in daylight), camcorder (super for landscapes...), video and music playback, radio and Podcasting (all good). Are there any weaknesses left in this Nseries flagship? And what happened to Internet Radio, UPnP and a TV out cable? By the way, see also Part 1 - First impressions and overview

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 PM
khak

disappointment

Great review Steve . In general, as E90 owner, I'm disappointment of N97 couse the keyboard. And regard to your text input speed compared, I rather wait for N900.... I hope it'll better and complete device.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
The N97 does seem to be something of a let down after all that waiting. Even the iphone in the shape of GS can offer better hardware & software than the N97 & even amongst Symbian devices it seems to be far from the best.

After the N96 it seems like Nokia have suffered another misfire.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Lowly Ram available on the N97 is a farce.

I have this to say: if you're a power user wait for the N900 tablet (telephony included). It will wipe the floor with the N97.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:32 PM
fitzrandolph

Question Video Conferencing

Hello.

I have been following this site (and many others) but have not read anything about video conferencing. Perhaps you could give a review of how it works with other phones (both capable and incapable of video conferencing) and overall satisfaction. Does it work or is it a gimmick, simply a marketing bullet?

Many thanks and keep up the GREAT work.

-- Fitz

Old 11-06-2009, 06:10 PM

karen-s is on a distinguished road
I was looking forward to this phone but the lukewarm review over at cnet.co.uk is a bit offputting to say the least.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:36 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Perhaps I am missing something, but this part of the review seem to me to be mostly very positive. What exactly were people expecting?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
Perhaps I am missing something, but this part of the review seem to me to be mostly very positive. What exactly were people expecting?
I guess people were expecting gazzilion mpx camera, 1Gb of RAM and Core duo processor. Can't understand it either but i'm getting one as soon as possible.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen-s View Post
I was looking forward to this phone but the lukewarm review over at cnet.co.uk is a bit offputting to say the least.
I read that review and I agree with it 100%. Nokia fan boy or not you have to agree that cnet's take is a little closer to reality than AAS'.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Unregistered

Uninteresting phone

With pricetag around $700 in US, other subsidized phones are more better. How about iPhone $99 or Palm pre, or blackberry? Personally, I like iPhone with its superior video & music features, tons of applications.... Even, I can get the new update iPhone OS 3.0 for free. Never use Nokia bulky and sluggish S60 phones anymore.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 PM

smellati is on a distinguished road
I think the n97 is great; it just lacks excitement.

Not as exciting as the n95 was in its time. Not as exciting as the palm pre.

But I still think you get more for your money with the n97 than any other phone.

Also, cnet.co.uk gave the n97 a 7.0 score and the palm pre a 7.3. Take that as you will.

But I do agree that if nokia doesn't reinvent themselves, they will keep losing market share. I think it's totally plausible that nokia could no longer be the biggest cell phone manufacturer in the future.

Nokia has to do what palm did; abandon their current OS all together and start from scratch. Symbian has had a very long life and its perfectly reasonable to invest in something else now.
Ads

Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
I read that review and I agree with it 100%. Nokia fan boy or not you have to agree that cnet's take is a little closer to reality than AAS'.
Eh? You did *read* my review pt1, didn't you? I'd say I was more critical in my review than they were, overall. Or at least there wasn't much in it!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:58 PM

architengi is on a distinguished road
What is the future of Symbian. iPhone old users got the OS v3 update for free...

Please read this regarding Symbian OS - they don't plan any upgrade possible:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...687#post295687

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
mrojas

The Future of Nokia

I think they are open sourcing Symbian so it frees resources, which they can now devote to Maemo. Maemo is going to be the future of Nokia mobile devices, phones, tablets and netbooks.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Eh? You did *read* my review pt1, didn't you? I'd say I was more critical in my review than they were, overall. Or at least there wasn't much in it!
Yes, I take back what I said. Part 1 of your review was very objective. Thank you.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't want you to be bashing the devices... just tell it as it is, that's all. I realize it's not an easy task when we're fans of a specific brand.

All the reviews on this site are top notch, I love reading them.