All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 08-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Symbian^3 PDK 3.0.0 available for download - includes emulator

Symbian's Product Development Kit (PDK) 3.0.0, which is based on Symbian^3, is now available for download. This is the first PDK released since Symbian^3 attained its functionally complete status. The PDK contains a build of Symbian^3 platform, the complete source code, related utilities and an emulator. It is aimed, primarily, at platform developers and device creators, but the curious may also be interested in taking a look as it enables you to gain a better understanding of the new version of the platform.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Question

Hey Rafe, do you have any clue about the presence of native functionality for selecting multiple items in any list (contacts, gallery, messages, et al) in S^3?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 PM

irfanil is on a distinguished road
@Unregistered: yes it is there. tap and hold will bring a pop up menu and you can mark multiple items. also there is option to 'mark all' or 'unmark all' items.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Unregistered

Talking

i really hope some day we will see symbian 3 ported to my nokia 5800

Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

Yes please

Please write the article/guide on how to get the PDK up and running. Would be GREATLY appreciated by the symbian/nokia community and I'd be sure to get it as exposed as possible on the blog I post on.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 PM

brendand is on a distinguished road
@Unregistered

You can click through the link at the bottom of the article to get to the instructions on the Symbian developer website. If the instructions there aren't clear it would be better if they were improved there rather than having a separate article.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Unregistered

Pdk

Wasn't quite clear on the download instructions for a newb.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:52 PM

brendand is on a distinguished road
@Unregistered.

It would help if you were specific. Which part was unclear?

Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Unregistered

I would suggest that if you feel you need help to get this working then you probably don't need it.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
People may also want to consider the Qt SDK (and WRT Sdk) before jumping in to bed with this as Qt is the future of app development.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Unregistered

Qt SDK for app developers

I can definitely recommend the Qt SDK for people who wants to do apps for Symbian and Meego. I have been playing around with it and it is really easy and very straightforward to work with. Qt is a wonderful app framework to work with, a far cry from the old Symbian C++ system and the UI framework is also lightyears better than the "evil" Avkon of old.

Old 13-07-2010, 07:17 AM

arg0 is on a distinguished road
Better soft keyboards?

One thing I'm curious about is how the on-screen keyboards will look like in Symbian^3, especially the portrait full qwerty.

I think the mini-qwerty that is now on S60v5 has keys too tiny for a capacitive screen and I hate the other keyboards (T9, landscape qwerty) completely hiding the screen while typing.
Moreover, entering text in s60v5 is both awkward and tiring, e.g. for a search on has to: click on the search box, wait for keyboard window to appear, type text in keyboard window, confirm to dismiss the window, wait for application screen to re-appear with the typed text in the search box, then click search.

I hope Symbian^3 will pack overlay keyboards that work like in the Opera browser, which is much more convenient. E.g., search requires less steps and no screen changes: click on search box, overlay keyboard appears, type directly into the search box, click search (without need to dismiss the keyboard).

Will there be something like that in Symbian^3? are there soft keyboards in the emulator to try?
Ads

Old 19-07-2010, 06:52 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i really hope some day we will see symbian 3 ported to my nokia 5800
Dream on.