All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-02-2005, 02:50 PM

fiahless is on a distinguished road
Sync Profile for over the air ms exchange configuration

Is it generally possible to synchronise contacts and calendar entries with my corporate ms exchange server? I tried to add a configuration profile using connection type "internet" and our exchange server as host adress. All i get is a error log, saying "Synchronisation was interrupted before any data was sent to the server". do i need any kind of special configuration or add-on on the server side?

and what is this about if the 9500 is able to remote-sync with an exchange server:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news.php?id=34174
Ads

Old 24-02-2005, 03:52 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Direct phone network based (so called over-the-air or OTA) synchronization with a Microsoft Exchange server using a Symbian based phone like the 9500 is possible only and only if you also have set up a so called "SyncML Server" that has been configured to talk with the Exhance server.

Such "SyncML Server" products are sold by companies such as FusionOne, Starfish!, Extended Systems, etc. There's a list of such here:
http://www.openmobilealliance.com/te...g%20files.html

Microsoft Exchange 2003 has built-in OTA synchronization capabilities (one form of ActiveSync, which also in Microsoft terminology refers to a separate and different phone/PDA-directly-to-PC sync application), but it is a Microsoft proprietary solution.

The article you point to only says that Nokia's Enterprise Solutions organization has reached an agreement with Microsoft to license this server-based ActiveSync version.

Persumably this means that at some point in the future devices from Nokia may or may not be able to use that technology. It also may or may not mean that software will be made for old devices which don't have such capability today (like the 9500).

In other words, if you want to do it today, you need to (or whomever runs your Exchange servers needs to) buy a SyncML Server from somebody.

Otherwise you're limite to synchronizing locally (USB, Bluetooth or infrared) with your desktop PC and Outlook on it (which, of course, indirectly is synchronizing with the Exchange server somewhere).

Old 24-02-2005, 05:01 PM

philF is on a distinguished road
We are using IBM websphere. It depends on what is set up at your company

Old 02-03-2005, 03:40 PM

fiahless is on a distinguished road
sync ml server

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
if you also have set up a so called "SyncML Server" that has been configured to talk with the Exhance server.
thank you for the info. im not sure, if ill get my admins to do this. do you have any idea, if that server could run on a different domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
Otherwise you're limite to synchronizing locally (USB, Bluetooth or infrared) with your desktop PC and Outlook on it (which, of course, indirectly is synchronizing with the Exchange server somewhere).
i have a mac!