All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-05-2005, 03:25 AM

hwks is on a distinguished road
Unlock Nokia 6630 on Three

Is this true?

Question 1-

According to one source i read this information

"Yes the dongle will be available this week to unlock the 6630, so any of your high street shops who do dodgy dealing in phones should have their equipment this week if they are up to date !"

source: http://www.zedge.no/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=117776#117776

it was posted on the 15th of May thereby implying that the software should have been available by now.

Question 2-

I also read this though

"the only way for these to be unlocked is by the operator direct by code (they hold a unique chip+pin set up) or by Carphone Warehouse (who will only do so at the request of the Network) as this is a completely new set-up called BB5 that Nokia use to Network Lock these. There is likely to be a cable unlock available from non Nokia sources at some point in the future (being this Wednesday ) but there will not be a free remote code option."

source: http://www.zedge.no/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=117776#117776

So i guess no one can unlock by using a calculator, i mean there have been so many codes posted by not one single person has replied saying thank you, it worked!!!

My question to you'll is, has anyone unlocked a Nokia 6630 either by entering a code into their phone NOT from the phone company or by cable method from a phone shop?

Last edited by hwks; 27-05-2005 at 03:31 AM.

Old 27-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yes as I understand it the second of these is true. Only networks can now generate the codes.

Old 27-05-2005, 09:51 AM

Meta is on a distinguished road
Ok I got my 6630 last Friday and want to get it unlocked from Three so I can use my Voda sim in it as well.....
From doing some research it looks as if currently there is no way to remote unlock the phone.
However the newer versions of the JAB box (ie a bit of kit phoneshops use to unlock and flash) DOES unlock the Nokia 6630. Thus the cable method is available.
Its an update so I am not sure how many places have the new kit but some should pretty soon.
I went into my local Nokia Shop (ie they do Nokia repairs etc as well as selling Three phones) and he was pretty reluctant to do it and said that if Three find out they can loose their license or something. Not totally sure if he was right but I do know that there is a way to do it its just finding a place that will!

Old 31-05-2005, 12:10 PM

darkshines6630 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta
Ok I got my 6630 last Friday and want to get it unlocked from Three so I can use my Voda sim in it as well.....
From doing some research it looks as if currently there is no way to remote unlock the phone.
However the newer versions of the JAB box (ie a bit of kit phoneshops use to unlock and flash) DOES unlock the Nokia 6630. Thus the cable method is available.
Its an update so I am not sure how many places have the new kit but some should pretty soon.
I went into my local Nokia Shop (ie they do Nokia repairs etc as well as selling Three phones) and he was pretty reluctant to do it and said that if Three find out they can loose their license or something. Not totally sure if he was right but I do know that there is a way to do it its just finding a place that will!
I phoned up '3' today, to find out about the availability of an unlock code for my N6680 and they said that I needed to go to the carphone warehouse. I asked if this would cause any problems to the carphone warehouse re their licence and they said no not at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 31-05-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshines6630
I phoned up '3' today, to find out about the availability of an unlock code for my N6680 and they said that I needed to go to the carphone warehouse. I asked if this would cause any problems to the carphone warehouse re their licence and they said no not at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome......did they mention any price for the service?
Let us know how you got on!!!
Ads

Old 31-05-2005, 07:45 PM

darkshines6630 is on a distinguished road
As soon as I can get time. I will get my self and my phone down to the carphone warehouse(but I am sure this is going to easy) I will let you know a price and all other relevant info

Old 31-05-2005, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshines6630
As soon as I can get time. I will get my self and my phone down to the carphone warehouse(but I am sure this is going to easy) I will let you know a price and all other relevant info
Will be good to know one way or the other....I have heard that Three want a yrs worth of line rental to do the unlock, I really hope thats not the case. However if they just told you to goto a CPW store to do it then its nothing to do with them I guess!!!

Can't wait to find out!!!

Old 01-06-2005, 03:08 PM

garyparson is on a distinguished road
I rang up Three the other week (twice, as I didn't believe I heard right the first time) and yes, it's 115 to unlock it if it's in the first year of contract. 15 if not.

I know where they can stick that.

Just rang carphone warehouse and they said that unlocking 6630's is something that they're not allowed to do.

So, it's either wait for this JAB box to be updated (it'd be good if someone on here could actually confirm they've had this done) or wait for someone somewhere to come up with a code generator like they have with other phones.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyparson
I rang up Three the other week (twice, as I didn't believe I heard right the first time) and yes, it's 115 to unlock it if it's in the first year of contract. 15 if not.

I know where they can stick that.

Just rang carphone warehouse and they said that unlocking 6630's is something that they're not allowed to do.

So, it's either wait for this JAB box to be updated (it'd be good if someone on here could actually confirm they've had this done) or wait for someone somewhere to come up with a code generator like they have with other phones.
What I dont understand is why they told our previous chap to goto CPW to get it unlocked....if they did it remotely and charge for it through the network then they may as well just do it then and there instead of telling him to toddle off down to the CPW shop.
The JAB box is updated (google it I can't remember the shop I saw selling it but its 200 quid) and is listed as an unlocking solution for a Nokia 6630.

We will have a definative answer soon I hope but there is no way I would pay 115 to unlock it when you can get one on ebay for about 150.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Just a little update....
I went into a CPW store today and they told me that CPW don't unlock phones and that they have had several Three customers come in after being told the same story. They think it could be three trying to get customers off the CS line or something.
Will be interesting how you get on at your local store and what Three CS's reaction is when you phone them back!!

Old 03-06-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta
Just a little update....
I went into a CPW store today and they told me that CPW don't unlock phones and that they have had several Three customers come in after being told the same story. They think it could be three trying to get customers off the CS line or something.
Will be interesting how you get on at your local store and what Three CS's reaction is when you phone them back!!
Ok.......there are places that will do it.....they are not advertising the fact but it can be done and I know one place that has done several though mainly on the Vodafone network.....for some reason they are definately more reticent to unlock them on three. I don't know where but Three seem to have a bit of a thing on this as if you goto....
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/unlock/
They state 'We do not unlock handsets on the 3 (H3G) network or enable 3 SIM cards for use on other phones.'
They will unlock most handsets on all other networks though.
So what on earth do Three have over these places that the other networks are not bothered about?

Old 04-06-2005, 02:59 PM

don't understand that one. pity, as the 3 phone is the cheapest to buy off the net at the moment. 127.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyparson
don't understand that one. pity, as the 3 phone is the cheapest to buy off the net at the moment. 127.
127 for what the phone on contract? I got mine free on Three.
They obviously have some kind of 'hold' over people to stop them unlocking their handsets.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:19 PM

127 is for the free phone and a whole years worth of contract.
http://www.e2save.com/mobile/phones/...e&handset=6630
Talk and text 600..

When you work it out for the year, it's 127 all in. Not bad for a phone that's going for 170+ still on ebay. Now if only I could get it unlocked I'd get one.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Prolinks

Im able to flash both the 6630 + 6680 but still no unlock soloution

Dejan apparently can unlock via USB but nobody knows for sure so until proof is actually saw about anything to unlock the BB5's then i would regard 99.99% - 100% of the stories as bull5hit.

Hopefully it wont be to much longer though