All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-05-2003, 09:10 PM

barflux is on a distinguished road
Battery Life?

Mine seems to last only 18 hours without use, is that normal? I only got the phone on Friday charged it for 7 hours. Is it faulty?

N

Old 04-05-2003, 09:36 PM

kingrob is on a distinguished road

Well, for starters, take the screensaver off, enable powersave and get filemanager. Once installed, you can 'kill' apps running in the background. I get about six days on my battery - and that's making phone calls with it and watching The Simpsons, courtesy of Raven...

If that doesn't work, you might have a faulty battery....

Old 04-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Re: Battery Life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barflux
Mine seems to last only 18 hours without use, is that normal? I only got the phone on Friday charged it for 7 hours. Is it faulty?

N
That is perfectly normal for a brand new phone. You need to completely drain the battery and charge it a couple of times before you'll get full use out of it. This is normal for any device which use these types of batteries.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 05-05-2003, 02:21 AM

Barflux, Raven is on cheap drugs again, or he's just taking the piss!

I got a brand new P800 from Vodafone on Thursday, charged it Friday night for 7 hours and started using it on Saturday. Well, it's still going strong and that's after I've played some mp3s on it, watched a whole Simpsons episode on it (courtesy of Raven), made a few phone calls and tonight I still have 47% battery life left on the puppy.

Me thinks it might be a faulty battery. I suggest using it till the battery runs out, then charge it again and check the following :

1. Make sure your screen is set to 'auto' and not 'on'. That means the screen stays on the whole time.
2. If you're playing music and videos constantly on it, the battery will obviously not last very long.
3. Check that you've got power saving enabled on the phone.
4. Check that there's no screen saver running.

See how it goes and if you get any joy....

Old 05-05-2003, 06:59 AM

Hi

I have Wallpaper as default, I had the screen saver on for 2min which is now off, power save on 2mins, and light on Auto. I have made no phone calls from it, just installed 4 software, did 2 backups, and played the games twice.

I will discharge the phone today, and see what it does later.

Thanks for you help.

Nick

Old 05-05-2003, 09:14 AM

My P800 can run on standby for long time, id say around 5 days on small usage. Talk time is OK, drains about the same as my other phones.. when it comes to apps/games its a whole other story though. Light on+normal use drains the battery in 1-2 days on normal usage. Ogg listening has different results but I'm guessing around 5h with headphones. Movie viewing or emulating sega is the worst.. about 2h and the phone is dead.

Old 05-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrob

Barflux, Raven is on cheap drugs again,
They aint that cheap mate! :shocked!:
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 06-05-2003, 07:59 AM

I discharged the battery to 1% last night and have charged it for 10 hours and it is on 98%, does that sound wrong?

Should I get a replacement battery or another phone?

N
Ads

Old 06-05-2003, 08:10 AM

Get a replacement battery.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:46 AM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
Like Rob, I get a good few days off the phone when in London, but was down in Southend the other day, in a building where the network kept dropping out.

Phone lost 50% power in about 2 hours as it kept searching for new networks.

So, check your signal strength. You could also try setting your network selection to 'Manual' and lock onto your home network. Don't need autosearch in the UK.

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 06-05-2003, 11:43 AM

Make sure 'magic word' is disabled as well (unless you want to use voice dialling) - this eats up battery life.

Cheers
Kav

Old 06-05-2003, 02:24 PM

Since my last post in the morning it has only dropped to 95% in 6 hours, looking better.

N