All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-04-2003, 07:41 PM

whiskydan is on a distinguished road
Replace my PocketPC

I currently own an iPaq 3850, but am thinking I might switch to a P800. I'm not sure if the P800 can meet all my needs though, and because I live out in the styx, I can't handle or play with one before I buy.

The main things I use my iPaq for are ebooks (I notice MobiReader is available for the P800, which is great), calendar/planner and note taker in lectures.

Is the planner halfway decent on the P800? or am I gonna be missing my iPaq? And I currently use a stowaway foldable keyboard with my iPaq...I know nothing like this exists for the P800...but anyone know of any plans for such a setup?

Old 18-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
As you know,lots of features that the you need on the Ipaq are available on the p800.
The problem would be data input i guess,taking notes etc etc.
I think that you can never master the hadwriting recognition in that level so it can replace an actual QWERTY keyboard(Damn Nokia for not releasing the communicator successor) but you can try

I have never heard of a foldable keyboard for the p800 yet.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 19-04-2003, 10:34 PM

I went cross country from phoenix to new york, and i noticed in one truck stop where they have cb's satelite radio that they had a keyboard for the t68, may be it is compatible?

Old 19-04-2003, 10:39 PM

mrgadget is on a distinguished road
oops forgot to sign in again

Old 19-04-2003, 10:45 PM

Interesing....

I figure keyboards for the P800 won't be too far off. Brighthand did an article not too long ago on Bluetooth keyboards. They should be out during the summer, and I imagine some bright programmer will create some drivers for the P800.
Ads

Old 20-04-2003, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Well,i think that you can leave bluetooth keyboards out because if i'm not mistaken the p800 does not have a Bluetooth HID profile(Keyboards,mice etc etc depend on it),like the 7650 does not have Audiot profile,hence no Bluetooth Audio

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 20-04-2003, 03:43 AM

Ghostdog, you're crushing my plans here :cry:

Okay, so the only other solution I can see for a keyboard, would be something like the Pocketop IR keyboard

Would this sort of set-up work? I don't know where the IR port is on the P800...but I imagine this is a workable solution for a P800 keyboard.

I seem to remember mention of a Word Processor being ported to the P800...can anyone enlighten me?

Old 20-04-2003, 09:49 AM

katsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Well,i think that you can leave bluetooth keyboards out because if i'm not mistaken the p800 does not have a Bluetooth HID profile(Keyboards,mice etc etc depend on it),like the 7650 does not have Audiot profile,hence no Bluetooth Audio
Of course they will release a bluetooth keyboard!!!!! The protocol exists on P800 and it doesn't have to be a keyboard specific one!!!!!

P.S.: Macedonia IS GREEK!!!!!!!!!

Old 20-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsj
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Of course they will release a bluetooth keyboard!!!!! The protocol exists on P800 and it doesn't have to be a keyboard specific one!!!!!

Do you have some inside info that we dont know about to support your statement?
I mean,i cant say of course about not releasing a bluetooth keyboard but you seem very sure about that there will be one.

Quote:
P800 supports BT-Serial profile but does not support the HID commonly used for BT keyboards.
So only way that a bluetooth keyboard will be released is with using the serial profile,i guess that would mean a lot a power comsumption which is not very practical(I might be wrong about this one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsj
P.S.: Macedonia IS GREEK!!!!!!!!!
First of all,this is not the right place do discuss politics
Second,i'm not interested in politics.
Third,I have couple of Greek friends on this forum,at least i think of them as my friends and we have never had any problems related to our countries names and locations.

So if you please,take this elsewhere.

Old 20-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Not sure about the BT support, but from what I understand one of these companies is currently working on writing the appropriate drivers for the P800 to support on of these foldable IR keyboards.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 20-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

I've read about it too,couple of times while browsing this forum and it seems to me that IR keyboard is most likely to happen.
Well,it would definitely be less power consuming then a BT serial keyboard.

I just wish that some company announces something on the subject.

Old 20-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Agreed.
With a full foldable QWERTY keyboard, a 64 and 128MB mem stick and a bigger battery, my P800 will be the perfect little work and amusement tool! :bday:
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson