All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM

linden is on a distinguished road
Some questions about Nokia 603 and Symbian

Hello.

Some days ago, I got an offer to buy a Nokia 603. I already have an Android-phone, but it is getting quite unreliable, and I never really liked Android.

Is the Nokia 603 a good phone?
How is the screen on the phone? Does it use a cheap TN-panel (with a limited amount of colours), or does it use some other type of screen?

Of course, I have read that Symbian is a burning platform. This does not really matter that much to me, and besides, just about any phone you can buy today will probably be obsolete in a year anyway (happened to my Android-phone!). However, I do have some favourite apps on my Android, and I would like to know if I can find similar ones on a Nokia.

First, I like to use Tunein-radio. How does Nokia Internet Radio compare?
Does Skype on Symbian work just as well as the Android-version?

I also sometimes use a program called OsmAnd. It's basically a GPS-based map and navigation-app, and it lets me download the maps to the phone (in vector-format) before I go on a trip. Is there something similar for Symbian (preferably with offline vector-maps), that lets me use the maps from Openstreetmaps? (I find that the maps from Openstreetmaps are more detailed than the other ones I've found on the web.)

Another thing I'm wondering about is the how private is my information on Symbian? On Android, I have to be careful about which programs I install. For example, lots of programs wants to access the contact-list, or the messages stored on the device, etc. even when that clearly is not necessary. You get notified in advance (before the app is installed) about which permissions the app wants. How does this work on Symbian?

I hope you can answer my questions. Thanks in advance! And, I'm sorry for any spelling- or grammatical errors. English is not my first language.
Ads