All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Slion is on a distinguished road
Better battery for your E7

Has anyone ever tried to use high capacity batteries on an E7?
The standard battery is BL-4D. Yet I'm under the impression the BV-4D used in the Nokia 808 is of very similar dimensions.

Does anyone knows if a BV-4D battery would fit and run in my E7?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Looks like I found why was my E7 battery hardly lasting more than 6 hours. I had left ActiveSync running. With ActiveSync set to 'manual' synchronisation it looks like I will be able to run for some 20 hours.

Still I ordered a couple of those DEJI BL-4D 1800mAh High Capacity, maybe I'll give it a try at some point.
Ads

Old 07-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Ok now my E7 is back to 6 hours life time and my ActiveSync is definitely still on Manual.

The next suspect on my list is actually the Battery Monitor widget. In the end it is probably some background process that's heating up my battery and chances are I can't do anything about it.

Last edited by Slion; 07-07-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Turns out it all because of the 3G.
So with 3G enabled the battery will last for 6 to 8 hours.
With 3G disabled it lasts for 20 to 22 hours.

Old 13-07-2012, 06:51 AM

No it is not 3G after all. I was just running with "Power Saving" no WiFi no bluetooth no Mobile Data and the battery was gone after 7h.

Bottom line: with today's latest firmware you never know how long your battery will last on your E7.

It's either your battery is being sucked up and dies after 6 or 8 hours or it holds good for 20-22 hours. Rarely anything in between.

Any E6 user out there to tell us if it is suffering from the same curse?

Old 20-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Can someone with an 808 measure the battery for me?
I need to compare the physical size of BL-4D and BV-4D batteries.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
I would love to know if it fits as well.

Adn how did " DEJI BL-4D 1800mAh High Capacity" Work out ?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM

I still don't know if the 808 battery fits in the E7. Would be nice if some 808 owner could give us the dimensions. Shame no one from AAS picked up on that. I guess they are too busy with WP

I own a couple of those DEJI batteries now but I have not yet bothered/dared fitting it in my E7. In fact I somehow managed to get my E7 autonomy under control lately.
Right now for instance it's been running for over 13h and still has 56% charge in the battery. I use notably a third party application called "Battery Power Saver". It basically switches off 3G when you are not using your phone and turns it back on as soon as you start using it again. I believe this helps a lot. That or simply turn off 3G altogether. Whatever works for you.

I also acquired a couple of those DC-16 external batteries (2200mAh). They have much better specs than the DC-10 I was using until now. Their shape is also quite convenient and they have a charge indicator the DC-10 was lacking. Thus I feel more confident I can go on a trip with my E7 and won't run out of juice.

Overall I'm most happy with my E7 again and it looks like I'm set to be using it for at least as long as I have been using my E90. Must have been 4 years. In fact I'm already considering getting myself a spare E7 just in case I ever damage this one. Although with its PDair leather case it feels rather indestructible. I also stocked up a few spare parts, you never know.

It's far from being the perfect software out of the box but Belle helped making the UI more enjoyable and thanks to a few must have third-party apps you can really enjoy your E7 efficiently. Granted it takes some tweaking and the patience of a power user but it is a really useful tool once you get it right.

Here are the third-party apps I'm using on a daily basis:

- Opera Mobile: Set as default browser. BTW can you change the default browser on Android, WP, or iOS? I'm never using the built-in WebKit browser from Nokia cause Opera is just too good. Available on Nokia Store or directly from Opera.

- Battery Power Saver: Turns off 3G when idle. Available on Nokia Store.

-Battery Info: Home screen widget accurately showing the state of your battery charge. Available on Nokia Store.

- ProfiMail: Still performing far better than the built-in e-mail client especially when it comes to dealing with IMAP folders. Not in the Nokia Store.

- Gravity: The built-in social app is useless. Can't recall last time I used it. Available on Nokia Store.

- Shortcuts: To easily switch between applications/tasks. Without it your keyboard is only useful when typing messages. Available on Nokia Store.

-mIRGGI: IRC client. Freeware.

-Putty: SSH client. Freeware.

The one built-in functionality I'm notably using is ActiveSync for contact synchronization with my Zimbra server.

AFAIK there is simply no smartphone with a comparable form factor to compete with the E7 out there. All QWERTY Android smartphone are plain slide out keyboard rather than proper sit-on-desk keyboard.

I hope Nokia would still be releasing newer hardware for Symbian. Obviously my perfect phone would be an E7 with an MMC, a better and removable battery, say at least the 1500mAh BP-4L from the E90 and E6. Obviously a better CPU (1.4Ghz) and GPU like on the 808 maybe. A better screen resolution would be fantastic too.

Sweet dreams.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:54 AM

BL-4D and BV-4D are physically compatible.
According to comments there: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...a_N97_mini.php

Now the challenge it seems is to find a BV-4D from the 808 generation with 1400mAh. Apparently the N9 was using 1320mAh BV-4D.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM

Thumbs down

"In fact I somehow managed to get my E7 autonomy under control lately"

Well not really sometimes it still goes into a power hungry mode and grind through the battery in as little as 4 hours even when "power saving" is enabled, even after closing all running apps... sigh! The only way out is reboot and hope it will be fine until the next time. Trouble is reboot takes like 20% battery too. So if you don't have access to a power source you are screwed...

Now we have at least one Symbian phone with poor/random battery life and likely no more software update to fix it. Well I guess it was about time Nokia stops doing software...

Old 15-08-2012, 12:30 PM

I found on Nokia Store a free application named "App Stop". It seems to be able to kill a lot of background system apps not showing in the task manager. Maybe it helps, maybe I got lucky but I managed to run my E7 for 21h and it was still showing 42%/490mAh left.

I started to wonder if Opera could be draining my battery so I also setup "Battery Power Saving" to close Opera as soon as there is no user activity.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
App Stop.

I will check it out.

BTW I use MfE all the time. and I can get through a day without charging sometimes. (usually it doesn't matter as I have it plugged in on my desk). I have a couple apps I love but can't use because of concerns.
Microsoft Apps - which I can actually almost in there entirety. (has space issues. on C.)

Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Banned

SDK is on a distinguished road
Very thank you for your message, I do think samsung mobile phone battery life is also very good, like my battery life period can reach and hours of time, it brought me a lot of convenience and benefits of I don't have to worry about mobile phone battery will influence to my things

http://www.galaxynote2caseshop.com/s...te-2-28682.htm

Last edited by SDK; 14-01-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 AM

jonathanbana is on a distinguished road
Battery is common problem for the mobile users but keeping the battery in good condition is most important for the smart phone users because more number of applications is run in this kind of phones. Charging the battery at saturation points are helpful to use battery for long time.