All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 AM

guiang is on a distinguished road
Caller ID on N8 with Belle

I just bought an N8 and upgraded it to Belle. I noticed that the caller ID (for both voice calls and texts) only show the phone number and not the identity, even if it's someone in my contacts list and the number shown is the exact same number in the contacts list. This seems pretty stupid. I see no way in "Settings" to change this. Can somebody help?

Also my old E63 with S60 3rd ed spoke the caller identity for some time, and then this feature just disappeared. Is this feature available in Belle?

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The most likely reason for the phone showing only the number for someone in your contacts list is that there are duplicates (multiple contacts records with the same number in the phone memory or SIM card).
Ads

Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
there is an additional possibility

but first do this:
sync the numbers and contacts in PC suite ... edit them ON the PC so they are perfect .. delete ALL the numbers on the phone and re-sync .. works for all symbian devices .. I've tried
ensure all your contacts use the international format
+country operator number is required .. when you are editing them

-- Right here is the more esoteric possibility a number of buyers of Indian sourced 808s have discovered --

From: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nser...1488724/page/2

"In order to match an incoming number to a contact, the phone uses algorithm based on the last X digits of the number, where X is a variable amount according to the number of digits used in the standard format in any given country. This number is encoded into the phone's OS and cannot be changed by any device settings. Furthermore, different algorithms are used depending on whether the phone number data being transmitted is in international or national format.

In all Nokia phones, the number of digits of a phone number matched when a call comes in are determined by an industry-wide standard which dictates the number of digits that should be matched between a contact and an incoming call number, this standard figure is set for according to the country of intended sale. For example, a phone sold in the Finnish market would match seven digits, whereas one sold in the Chinese market would match 11 digits.

A further complication arises depending on whether your network operator transmits phone number data in national or international format, for example here in Finland the operator Elisa always transmits phone numbers in international format, whilst another major operator Sonera uses national format. We are assuming that your operator is transmitting in national format, you can test this by changing one of your contacts into national format and seeing the result of the matching when that number calls your phone.

The problem that is arising here is that devices are being used in Australia which have their OS configured for India, where the standard phone number format is quite different and so the pre-set matching algorithm is not working correctly.

The outcome, unfortunately, is that your phone does not have a bug, it is simply configured for a market where the mobile systems are very different to your own country, and this means that it is not an issue that will be solved by any software update. If switching your Australian contacts to national format and thereby forcing the phone to use the alternative matching algorithm solves the issue, then that would be a valid workaround."