All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 PM

Lollipopsicle is on a distinguished road
Phone Internal Memory Data recovery...!!

Hey Every one...

So here is a question that is being asked ALOT! but which has not been answered yet!
mostly because the question is not asked very clearly.

HOW CAN WE MOUNT THE PHONE INTERNAL MEMORY AS A VOLUME/ DRIVE?
NOT as a directory through PC suite. (that can not be scanned for data recovery.)

I have been searching for days and it is clear that very few people understand the actual problem of recovering data from the internal memory of a phone!
we can all manage to select a volume/ drive and hit recover in one of the countless "undelete" style recovery software packages,
but if the internal memory does not show up as a drive, we're screwed.

and NONE of my nokia phones mount their internal memory as drives. (or the sony ones for that matter.)
they are only accessible through the PC suite software as directories and those are not scannable by any data recovery software.

so here's the challenge for all you tech heads out there:

HOW DO WE MOUNT OUR PHONE INTERNAL MEMORY IN ORDER TO RECOVER DATA FROM IT?

Especially with a symbian phone I should think that some one out there knows how to do this.
the phones in question in my case are:
N73/ symbian/ 3rd (s60 I think)
and
Nokia 6500s-1 /series40 os as far as I understand...)

I have posted this question in a number of forums, but not received anything but spam so far, so:

dear data recovery company affiliates control your urges!
we all know your software but its useless, unless we can answer the actual question here!!

I will cross feed any information I get from other places as and when availeble.

Lolli

Last edited by Lollipopsicle; 02-09-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 AM

Seriously no one??

c'mon... some one out there knows how to get in there!
Share the love people...

Anything will help! leads, Ideas... I'd even be grateful for mere "hunches"!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Nokia has not such support built-in in the phone firmware (or have explicitely/deliberately decided not to allow it). So, it can't be done without changing the software on the phone first.

In other words, without having suitable software on the phone that can "share" the internal phone memory, you can't do it.

And as Nokia phones also prevent installing user-installable device drivers, such low-level software would be very difficult to write and install without circumventing the whole operating system's security model (normal apps have not access to all folders/directories/files, and even less so directly to the file system so that data recovery would be possible).

If it was easy, it would've been done years ago.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 PM

some progress...

Hey "N/A" thanks for your reply.

PLEASE, if you pass by here and have any information, leads, ideas... share them!
many people have the same problem!

further research took me down the "forensics" route to a select bunch of applications that are able to access the phone internal memory without writing to it.

so it IS possible to read out the memory AND to recover data from it, that has been deleted, however most of those applications focus on sms, contacts, calendars and call logs etc. which is obviously relatively useless in my case. but it does demonstrate that there clearly is a way into those phones!

paraben cell seizure/ device seizure is one of them.
but a further limitation of these type of programs is that they are expensive!
(ridiculously I might add.)

I am still experimenting with a number of open-source projects,
in the hopes of getting a go.
but it is beginning to look like this will require a "custom job"

I will update as and when available.

PLEASE, if you pass by here and have any information, leads, ideas... share them!
many people have the same problem!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:23 AM

violletta is on a distinguished road
Nokia 9290 Data recovery

Hi

I deleted 53 pieces of my own writing from my 9290...

I have the cable, but I don't have the "PC Suite" software. So how to access the file structure?

Please continue to post here anything you learn!

Violet

Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violletta View Post
I have the cable, but I don't have the "PC Suite" software. So how to access the file structure?
Nokia PC Suite: http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 AM

drclick is on a distinguished road
I m having the exact same fight
as far as i understand, if the conection is made trough an usb cable the fone DOES apeer as an external device and can be seeked.
i remember doing it with a nokia 6630 that conects by a nokia data cable.
but now i am trying to recover data from a 6600 that only uses infrared or bluetooth.
none of the available data recovery software finds the damned cell phone.
So i wonder:
What if there is a software that one can transfer FOR the phone via PC Suite and run it on the very cell phone? anyone knows something about this kind of software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipopsicle View Post
Hey Every one...

So here is a question that is being asked ALOT! but which has not been answered yet!
mostly because the question is not asked very clearly.

HOW CAN WE MOUNT THE PHONE INTERNAL MEMORY AS A VOLUME/ DRIVE?
NOT as a directory through PC suite. (that can not be scanned for data recovery.)

I have been searching for days and it is clear that very few people understand the actual problem of recovering data from the internal memory of a phone!
we can all manage to select a volume/ drive and hit recover in one of the countless "undelete" style recovery software packages,
but if the internal memory does not show up as a drive, we're screwed.

and NONE of my nokia phones mount their internal memory as drives. (or the sony ones for that matter.)
they are only accessible through the PC suite software as directories and those are not scannable by any data recovery software.

so here's the challenge for all you tech heads out there:

HOW DO WE MOUNT OUR PHONE INTERNAL MEMORY IN ORDER TO RECOVER DATA FROM IT?

Especially with a symbian phone I should think that some one out there knows how to do this.
the phones in question in my case are:
N73/ symbian/ 3rd (s60 I think)
and
Nokia 6500s-1 /series40 os as far as I understand...)

I have posted this question in a number of forums, but not received anything but spam so far, so:

dear data recovery company affiliates control your urges!
we all know your software but its useless, unless we can answer the actual question here!!

I will cross feed any information I get from other places as and when availeble.

Lolli
Ads

Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drclick View Post
I m having the exact same fight
as far as i understand, if the conection is made trough an usb cable the fone DOES apeer as an external device and can be seeked.
i remember doing it with a nokia 6630 that conects by a nokia data cable.
but now i am trying to recover data from a 6600 that only uses infrared or bluetooth.
none of the available data recovery software finds the damned cell phone.
So i wonder:
What if there is a software that one can transfer FOR the phone via PC Suite and run it on the very cell phone? anyone knows something about this kind of software?
In theory, that'd be possible. Especially with the original Nokia 6600, which uses such an old version of Symbian/S60 that it has no "Platform Security" protection to restrict access. However, I don't know of any such software, and for that old a phone, I doubt that anyone will create it, either (Nokia stopped manufacturing that model many years ago).

(The Nokia 6630 was a bit newer, and supported USB and the USB mass storage mode for accessing the memory card from a PC, as well as using PC Suite. That kind of support was added to Symbian/S60 and Nokia hardware a couple of years after the 6600 was created.)

Old 26-05-2012, 07:54 PM

maiwan is on a distinguished road
Nokia 7610

I formatted my nokia 7610, and lost very important contacts which were store in internal memory. I know i should have backed up thing but it has happened now

Just wondering if anyone have solution to recover my contact from the formatted internal memory from my nokia 7610 mobile phone.

Old 27-05-2012, 05:05 AM

No easy or guaranteed solutions. If you have turned off your phone after the incident, and kept it off (so that nothing overwrites anything), then a data recovery service (expensive and with no guarantees of success) might be able to do something about it: http://www.krollontrack.com/

Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 AM

johnbevan is on a distinguished road
Phone Memory Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by violletta View Post
Hi

I deleted 53 pieces of my own writing from my 9290...

Please continue to post here anything you learn!

Violet
If your important data has been deleted from phone and you are looking for its complete recovery then the use of automatic Phone memory recovery software is an effective solution. I have restored all my inaccessible data after the use of this very software.