All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-09-2010, 11:09 PM

spyder_pk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down BT/Radio not working after f/w 400.34.93

Hi,

I recently upgraded my firmware to ver 400.34.93 and now Bluetooth has stopped working at all.. I get an error saying "Unable to perform Bluetooth operation" when I try to start Bluetooth. Also since the upgrade my phone reboots whenever I start the FM Radio I just saw on Nokia forums that is a well known and documented issue since the firmware came out.. Wish I had read the forums beforehand.

Why didn't Nokia release a f/w update or remove this update from their site when so many users had probs with this?

Anyways.. anyone else suffered from these probs and recovered? How? Any ideas?

I already tried the *#7370# code and it did not solve the probs..

TIA!

Old 16-09-2010, 07:53 AM

No one else had this problem? 'Cmon guys what did you do to fix this?

Old 16-09-2010, 10:02 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Try VDG

I've got 2 E90's here . One on FW300 , one on FW400 . Both working fine . I suppose you will have some software corruption . Try the Vulcan Death Grip to get rid of all old software . See my post here :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021

When you have extra applications installed on the Memorycard , remove the MC from the device before . The manipulation is somewhat fiddly , so you might need to repeat it a few times .
After booting up , first check if Radio and BT are working again .
Then reinsert the MC .
It's recommended NOT to reinstall Settings from the Backup , as it may contain the corrupted files . Do settings manually all over again .

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 16-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
I've got 2 E90's here . One on FW300 , one on FW400 . Both working fine . I suppose you will have some software corruption . Try the Vulcan Death Grip to get rid of all old software . See my post here :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021

When you have extra applications installed on the Memorycard , remove the MC from the device before . The manipulation is somewhat fiddly , so you might need to repeat it a few times .
After booting up , first check if Radio and BT are working again .
Then reinsert the MC .
It's recommended NOT to reinstall Settings from the Backup , as it may contain the corrupted files . Do settings manually all over again .

Regards jApi NL
Thanks for the reply.. I backed up my phone/memcard.. then formatted the card and *#7370# the phone.. nothing improved.. then I tried reinstalling the firmware twice.. still no improvements.. I came across these instructions (in Filipino i think?) which say the Bluetooth module has to be replaced.. but my BT worked fine before f/w upgrade? Can a f/w cook the BT module somehow? I dont think so? What do you think?

Oh and I tried the "vulcan death grip" several times but nothing happens.. will I get any visible indications/warnings that it worked?

Thanks so much for your advice and help.. I mailed Nokia and waiting for their reply before I run off to the local Nokia Care.

Cheers!

Edit: Also jApi NL which keyboard is this? In the ABS review of E90? I have the same KB and its started to leave marks on the screen.. can I get a lower UK KB from Nokia for free? and possibly another screen? Can Nokia Care change the firmware of the phone to UK so it matches the UK keyboard?

Last edited by spyder_pk; 16-09-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Old 16-09-2010, 04:23 PM

Smile Brown And Black

The Mocca Brown I bought new back in 2007 . With keyboard touching the inner screen . FW 300xx . The Black I bought recently second hand . With no touching keyboard . FW 400xx .
My main device is still the Brown . I use it daily (heavily) for 2.5 years now . Second battery . The marks on the screen can be seen best , when the screen is black , with mirroring backlight . After cleaning the screen from grease - soft wetted cloth , with little soap and little alcohol - a few scratches still can be seen . While in use it doesn't disturb at all . So never had the keyboard exchanged . Actually , maybe I'm used to it , I find typing easier than on the Black . However the D-Pad of the Brown is more stiff .

About Vulcan Death Grip - four finger method :
1) power OFF
2) press and HOLD : green + * + 3 keys
3) press and HOLD : power ON key
So HOLD all four keys in the described order untill the device comes really visually alive , like prompting a text .
When VDG is sucessfully performed , you will see the prompt for setting the device to Country , Language , Time , Date , etc .

When this prompt isn't showing , try again .

Regards jApi NL

Old 16-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
The Mocca Brown I bought new back in 2007 . With keyboard touching the inner screen . FW 300xx . The Black I bought recently second hand . With no touching keyboard . FW 400xx .
My main device is still the Brown . I use it daily (heavily) for 2.5 years now . Second battery . The marks on the screen can be seen best , when the screen is black , with mirroring backlight . After cleaning the screen from grease - soft wetted cloth , with little soap and little alcohol - a few scratches still can be seen . While in use it doesn't disturb at all . So never had the keyboard exchanged . Actually , maybe I'm used to it , I find typing easier than on the Black . However the D-Pad of the Brown is more stiff .

About Vulcan Death Grip - four finger method :
1) power OFF
2) press and HOLD : green + * + 3 keys
3) press and HOLD : power ON key
So HOLD all four keys in the described order untill the device comes really visually alive , like prompting a text .
When VDG is sucessfully performed , you will see the prompt for setting the device to Country , Language , Time , Date , etc .

When this prompt isn't showing , try again .

Regards jApi NL
Thanks for taking some time out and answering much appreciated...

Performed the Vulcan death grip as you instructed.. the phone asked for location and date etc and all my alarms etc were gone so I think it was successful.. The BT and Radio probs are still the same though.. Thinking more and more that it might be a h/w issue like that Filipino forum said.. waiting for Nokia to get back to me before I go to Nokia Care centre..

Thanks..

EDIT: Just found a code on another forum to check the BT.. *#2820#.. when I enter this code the phone gives me this message: "Bluetooth device address:" and nothing infront of the :

Last edited by spyder_pk; 16-09-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Old 16-09-2010, 08:46 PM

Smile Hardware

Sure something wrong with that BT stack .

Regards jApi NL

Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 PM

bob_horn is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Firmware for E90

I am another user that has been trapped by Nokia's upgrade () system. The origional FW did not work with the BT keyboard (Norwegian) and the first upgrade after this fixed this problem. Everything worked very well. The next upgrade ruined BT and the radio. I "upgraded" once more to 400.34.93 expecting a correction. This did not follow and many of us are now without BT and get a boot upon inition of the radio function. Even worse is the fact that we are not offered a chance to return to older FW. The really tragic experience was the absolute silence from Nokia inspite of many contact attempts. I have learned to live with the E90 without BT; it is in fact a very good apparatus. But, my confidence in Nokia is gone. The latest signals from Nokia about cutting out Symbian and switching (perhaps!) to Meego do not support optimism.

Old 27-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Fixed mine!! Took it to Nokia Care and it was a H/W prob after all.. somehow.. it all started though after F/W upgrade.. now to somehow fix the keyboard leaving marks on the screen.. any suggestions?

Old 29-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Smile E90 Inner Keyboard

The first E90's were delivered with the higher keyboard . Later productions had a lower keyboard . Some people had the higher keyboard replaced by the lower under warrenty (2 years) at a Nokia Service Point .

Regards jApi NL

Old 25-12-2010, 05:42 PM

bob_horn is on a distinguished road
Unhappy FW 400.34.93, BT and radio

Hello. Unfortunately I believe that we are stuck with both the FW and its problems. Nokia has done nothing to fix this mess for over a year now. I did get BT back for a few hours after a cold boot of the E90 but it was soon disabled again. The radio thing is constant. It would seem that Nokia has completgely given up on the FW for the E90 and gone over to ^3 and Meego. However, the E90 is quite usefull even without BT and the FM radio. GPS works well in Norway, web brousing goes well, especially with Opera... The real problem is choice of a new smartphone. I'm waiting to see the N9 but have little faith in Nokia after the E90 business. So perhaps a HTC or Samsung machine with a keyboard will be my next phone.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Jacksonk is on a distinguished road
He who has control of the press, has control of what people think----then --AND NOW !

Old 11-04-2012, 04:11 AM

Reddickd is on a distinguished road
The Nazis wanted total control, they could not allow any discussion that was not about their own ideas.