All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-03-2012, 03:19 AM

Templar is on a distinguished road
Finally took the plunge (bought an E7)

I was an avid Nokia e90 user owning three in the past three years. (They've all died in one form or another.) My recent e90 died a little over a month ago, it would drop calls randomly, wouldn't let me call out randomly and the speaker phone went as well as the regular speaker.

I considered getting the Version 2 e90 (the black one) refurbished, but the price was laughable. New Nokia E7's don't even go for that much. So I went ahead and bought the E7 with Symbian Anna.

I've had the phone now for roughly a month, the day after I got it Nokia (Symbian) Belle was released. I quickly upgraded as I honestly didn't like Anna (liked the widgets though) and really enjoy the phone. I still don't feel it's a "Communicator" in the truest sense, but it's better then WP7, Android or iOS in my opinion. (I've owned a phone with each except WP7.)

I spoke to a guy at a local mobile shop, asked him if he's heard any news on the next Nokia Communicator. He hadn't and further claimed that the Nokia E7 will probably be the last Nokia with a QWERTY keyboard. I find that hard to believe, seeing there's plenty of people (and companies like HTC amongst others) who continue to pump out QWERTY handsets.

Well, I just wanted to share. Would love to hear any thoughts or opinions on the phone like problems or issues I should look out for. So far, the only problem I had was poor battery life (fixed it by turning off the standby clock) and WiFi disconnecting randomly.

Old 27-03-2012, 02:55 AM

malcolmlau is on a distinguished road
I had one for about 3 weeks before i sold it off for a big loss. I loved the screen clarity and the keyboard but the resolution was just not suitable for viewing and editing spreadsheets.

I could only ever see a few cells, and i was so frustrated at having to scroll left and right to see more cells.

Also, the apps available to Nokia users is pretty poor and there is no video calling on Skype.

So the phone is OK but just not great - which it should have been at the price!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
I've had a E7 for while.

I couldn't use any other phone with Putty. It pretty much needs a full keyboard, with out going blind.

On weekends my E7 usually lasts the whole day, of course its plugged in while in the car.

Over all I am very happy with my E7. Who uses Skype anyway. FRING for the Win.
why use something that doesn't support your Phone ??

Old 13-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Lanewil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmanus View Post

On weekends my E7 usually lasts the whole day, of course its plugged in while in the car.
Only one day? Is your battery new or old?

Last edited by Lanewil; 19-04-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Ads

Old 17-04-2012, 12:28 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
About 4 to 5 months old. I believe.
I'm a bit of a power user.

Old 17-05-2012, 12:34 PM

GDavidF is on a distinguished road
Well....
Joined the E7 club last September and have had three replacement handsets so far (with another expected within the next fortnight). So, I guess I'll be leaving the club very soon too...

Absolutely loved the phone apart from a few gripes with the multifunction USB (charge AND/OR data OR USB otg) AND the non-user replaceable battery which is way too short on capacity (meaning I had 2x AC chargers + car charger, 3 USB cables and a DC11K charge pack) AND the lack of facility for a MicroSD card.

The PC suite works, but pay very particular attention in allocating folders within Windows PCs for Synchronisation: Outlook/PIM (create a Phone contacts folder in pst), Pictures (Create a Nokia pics folder in your PC pictures library as default nokia labels and folders will do your head in.)
Create a specific folder on PC for your phone's music collection and follow the brilliant guide here on AAS for sorting your folder art/ library.

Follow Steve's advice and charge at every opportunity.
DO NOT drop the phone, in fact keep it well protected.
Be very careful with using the USB port, if it plays up at all, take it to Nokia directly (it is very sensitive to physical damage, my experience led me to an in car setup where there was tension in the cable between the cigar lighter charger and a hook then none between the hook and the phone mount on the dashboard.)
Sorry if that last bit about the car charger seems a bit hard to follow...
HTH,
Regards from down under,
Dave

Last edited by GDavidF; 18-05-2012 at 09:32 AM.