All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 PM

calabi is on a distinguished road
brightness setting - doesn't work :(

hello! i have a massive problem with my phone, the brightness setting on my n95 is not working and stuck on the highest setting, a complete refresh of my phone may solve the problem, but i have a very complicated setup which will take hours to get right, i was wounding if there was anything i can do that might resolve the issue, before it comes to this?

i have also tried to reload the fireware and then load my backup but it stays the same :(

any ideas?

thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:38 PM

PMitchell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by calabi View Post
i have also tried to reload the fireware and then load my backup but it stays the same :(
Hi Calabi,

did it work after reflashing *before* you applied the restore? If yes, I fear there is no way but reset it :(

Regards,
PM

Old 10-12-2007, 02:23 PM

andykn is on a distinguished road
You shouldn't need to reload/reflash the firmware. it will almost certainly have some sort of checksum in it that will not complete unless every bit and byte of the firmware is exactly correct.

What usually causes these problems is restoring Settings. Try a full phone format (*#7370#) and see if the problem goes away and I'll bet that restoring your Settings brings the problem back.

Others say that restoring anything (instead of using PC Suite to synchronise data) will cause problems, but start with not restoring Settings.
Ads

Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 PM

calabi is on a distinguished road
hey guys, thanks for the advice, i tried the full phone format (*#7370#) and the problem is still there!? it's so strange this was without my backup being restored? the brightness slider moves left and right, and will let me choose a value on the scale but the screen doesn't change :( any ideas? this is so weird!

Old 11-12-2007, 01:33 PM

tonymy01 is on a distinguished road
You know that it isn't really a "brightness setting", it is an active setting related to the environment around you. It uses the light sensor to determine how bright it should be, and you are really altering at what point the light sensor triggers to increase or reduce brightness. If you are in a totally dark room, it shouldn't get too bright (and the key lights will trigger), if you are in a bright room, it will get quite bright (and the key lights won't trigger).
However, saying all this, in the normal environment I change the setting and do see a brightness change, but maybe you did this testing in a very bright or totally dark environment?

Old 13-11-2011, 09:09 PM

n95man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by calabi View Post
hello! i have a massive problem with my phone, the brightness setting on my n95 is not working and stuck on the highest setting, a complete refresh of my phone may solve the problem, but i have a very complicated setup which will take hours to get right, i was wounding if there was anything i can do that might resolve the issue, before it comes to this?

any ideas?

thanks.
You have a faulty screen chap... get a new one with tools to fit, cheap as chips. Make sure where you buy it they check the screen works before sending. n95man knows