All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM

ukmdb is on a distinguished road
hsdpa issues - what speeds do you get?

Having had my N97 now for a week I have yet got to get speeds above 360kb per second.

I have a UK T-Mobile contract with unlimited Web N Walk
i have spoken to T-mobile and they say my account automatically has 3g and hsdpa speeds will also be available.

I have been through many cities over the past week, even directlyy under a T-mobile phone mask but still get normal 3g speeds.

I do my tests by using the dslreports mobile speed test
http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?jisok=1&more=1

Today i went into a T-mobile store to test and the same again.
the assistant fired up his phone (another model) and he got the symbol 'H' on his phone to state he was recieving hsdpa speeds.

Q1. Should the nokia N97 also display a 'H' ? I only ever see 3g
Q2. Is any one else on T-mobile? what speeds are you getting.
Q3. is any one else getting low speeds?

Should I be speaking to mobilephonesdirect who I got the contract from in case of fault with the phone or with t-mobile ?
any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Nokia phones will display "3.5G" for hsdpa, not H. What you should do is use a different speed test site. I use www.freespeedtest.com and select CABLE as your connection option. I find i get more accurate results on this site. However i do use dslreports test and i get 1000kbps sometimes. So perhaps something is being throttled down thru your provider.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 PM

lightbulb is on a distinguished road
I don't know if this will affect things and the option may even already be on, but check to see if High Speed Packet Access is enabled.

Goto Settings > Connectivity > Admin Settings > Packet Data > High Speed Packet Access > Enabled

forgot to mention, I carried out a speed test using the given tests and was getting around 740-800Kbps

Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Thanks Roger,
"3.5g" is what is being displayed, sorry for the miss type
on speedtest I got 52.3kps
On DSLreports I got 361kps

Thanks Lightbulb.
Yes High speed packet access is already enabled.

Which network providers you guys on?
Anyone on T-mobile

Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Yup, T-Mobile here

Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 PM

What file size are you choosing on the dslreports test? If you use the small size you often don't get the true speed cause the cell site doesn't open throughput completely for some reason. So make sure to use the 1mb file size. Try that one.

If you don't see that file size, first pick the smallest file size and run the test. This will be too fast and kick you to the higher file sizes of 200, 400 and 1mb. Then pick the 1mb file and run the test. Let us know if this makes a difference.

But honestly it sounds to me like your provider is the problem here.
Ads

Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM

grhunt1109 is on a distinguished road
T-Mobile

I am on T-Mobile and the results for me are:

dslreport - 375 kbit/sec
freespeedtest - 446 kbps

Not as fast as they should be?

I have no idea what i should be getting.

My phone is showing 3.5g at the moment.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Well i been trying all file sizes on dslreports 200kb 400kb and 1meg
Still do not get as far as 400kbs

I remember the last t-mobile web n walk I had (couple years ago) i was getting over 1meg per sec.

spoken to t-mobile again today and they insist there is no reason why i am not getting the speeds i expect.
Again i have been all over and at every chance I will test with no joy.
I am not happy at the moment as the selling point for me was HSDPA and the nice size screen with keyboard.
I am still not convinced if this is mobile operator or the phone...

Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 PM

It sounds fishy to me because regular 3g max speed is 384kbps and hsdpa is 3.6mbps. So to me it looks like your provider is only giving you regular 3g and not hsdpa. I swear i remember reading one of the uk carriers throttling users to 3g only and not hsdpa. Did you google for this issue with your provider? Perhaps others have the same issue and its your carriers fault.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Hving seen the results of others I was concerned I read the wrong number off the speed test or just plain mis-read it. I ran the tests again and am getting speeds more inline with what has been posted:

350Kbps on the dot from dslreports
444kbps average from freespeedtest

Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
I swear i remember reading one of the uk carriers throttling users to 3g only and not hsdpa.
There was a story about o2 throttling back 3G speeds so that they weren't any faster than EDGE (or slower, even!), to make the original iPhone appear faster online compared to other phones. I think it was a simple case of calling them and asking them to loosen the belt on your 3G/HSDPA connection.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM

A few years back when I was with T-mobile I did have to contact them and get them to enable HSDPA on my phone.
But they say now that this is automatic and every is only limited by the phone itself if they get HSDPA Speeds.

Wish I never went with T-mobile now as I am just having no joy with them at all

Old 03-08-2009, 02:12 PM

I received a reply to the email I sent to T-Mobile asking what speeds Ishould be geting on the basic Web n Walk package, if this is HSDPA and if there are any speed limits imposed by T-Mobile.

This was the reply I received...unfortunately doesn't really help and I'll need to get some speed tests from different areas and get back to them:

Quote:
I understand how important it is to receive a standard HSDPA connection for internet access on your phone. I'll certainly check and advise appropriately.

I'd like to tell you that the HSDPA speeds depend on the coverage and the phone compatibility. If you're in a area of very good coverage you may receive an upload speed between 1.0 and 2.0 mbps and the download speed between 384 and 700kbps.

I see that the coverage in your area wit the postcode XXX XXX is very good 3G. However, the the 3.5G coverage in your area can be variable.

In areas of good coverage you'll be able to get good download speeds. And normally the closer you're to a transmitter, the better your signal strength will be.

The quality of the signal strength can be affected by a number of things such as surrounding buildings, hills and valleys, forest area and even the weather. So, I can't guarantee that you'll receive complete coverage as this is not manually controlled.

If there are any other applications running in the background on your phone, this can also reduce the performance of browsing. Please follow the user manual to close all the running applications completely before you start browsing.

The phone will pull up the network which is best available at any given point in time, so as the 3G coverage in your area will be better than HSDPA, this will hover the network reception.

You may have to manually select the network if the coverage is too low

If you're still experiencing any problems, please try your SIM card in any other phone so that we can identify if the problem is with the phone or the network.

In order to appropriately identify if there's a fault please check if you're experiencing problems in one particular postcode or more than one area. If more than one postcode, please reply with these postcodes so that we can identify the speeds you're supposed to receive.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:15 PM

grhunt1109 is on a distinguished road
well reading the e-mail from t-mobile it looks like my speeds.

dslreport - 375 kbit/sec
freespeedtest - 446 kbps

Are not far off what they expect for download speeds.

"upload speed between 1.0 and 2.0 mbps and the download speed between 384 and 700kbps."

But its no where near as good as others getting 1mb.

Once again t-Mobile screwing us over. Gonna have to test this with my orange chip later and see the differences.

Old 13-06-2011, 10:47 AM

jdtaylor is on a distinguished road
Hi, Try using my3gspeed.com I asked t mobile to refresh the simcard, and now I've got download speeds of 1.69mb or so, although admitately it does jump along when on the android market place it feels much faster to me. So try asking them to do that.