All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-02-2011, 07:49 PM

bat400 is on a distinguished road
CPW (UK) told me the E7 would be available this month (February)

Hi,

I popped into the out-of-town Carphone Warehouse in Exeter after work this evening to ask if they had any news on when the E7 would be available. The lady had a look on her computer and replied they were expecting to have it this month.

Caveat: I have no idea what she was looking at on the computer, so for all I know she could have just googled and got a headline which mentioned "Nokia E7" and "February" (let's face it there are plenty of them, along with every other month from September 2010 to August 2011) and assumed that meant it was launching, but she didn't look like she was making it up as she went along...

She also confirmed (as with all their phones) that their supplies would be unlocked and unbranded, and probably UK variants.

I'm gonna get my hopes up anyway, even though I know I shouldn't!

Al

Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
CPW site still showing April 2011...

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/coming-soon

Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 PM

Ah well - I knew it was too much to hope for. Guess she was bluffing!

Al

Old 09-02-2011, 12:17 AM

This seems to confirm the April release for the E7 for UK customers!!!

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/noki...pril-50002558/

It seems that the E7 is already shipping for other markets.

I wonder why the UK is having to wait 2 months?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Waiting for PR2.0 maybe? Could be. Or they just don't think any Symbian handset really will sell that much in UK and are prioritising markets where they think they can make an impact.

Or Friday's announcement they are dropping Symbian - Joke!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
Are you sure that's a joke?

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=98549

Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
You know my views on the N97 and it's sublime awfulness (much defended on these forums) and how unbelievably slow and poor in execution I think Nokia's software strategy has been and now the chickens are coming home to roost as I thought and mentioned here time and time again only to be derided by the fanboierati in these forums.

But I think they're stuck with it for a while not matter what for a bit reading the comments in the Burning Platformgate memo that Meego is no where near ready. What they're going to use for mid to upper tier handsets I've no idea and I sense nor do they.

Re Friday sad to see this sort of a climax approach and it's the blind ignorance of Nokia and it's previous senior management and their fundamental lack of understanding or vision for the technology they were in the business of selling Itt's going to lead to the loss of many thousands of jobs, many upper and middle management deserved but many many more unwitting victims of poor leadership who admitted no views other than their own narrow ones and those of the dolt like fanbois that fitted with their world view.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
At the moment I'm worried your joke may turn out to be true, based on what Elop might have written in that internal memo.

Al
Ads

Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 PM

I find myself in agreement with you snoFlake, by and large.

After the N97, Nokia badly needed to pull something out of the hat to redeem themselves... and what did we get? The N8 running on the symbian ^3 platform. I was truly underwhelmed as I stated here:-

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=96706

As you quite rightly say, the previous Nokia management have a lot to answer for!

I believe that after producing not one but two sub standard, high end, smartphones in a row (with a possible third in the shape of the delayed E7 on symbian^3) they could no longer afford to bring out yet another white elephant with immature software in the shape of MeeGo.

They are already heavily losing ground in the smartphone market and a disaster with MeeGo would be the last nail in their coffin.

Already abandoned by other carriers for their high end phones, I can only but see symbian being used for low and mid range handsets.

This leaves the question of MeeGo's future.

Do Nokia plough on regardless with this untried and untested, not to mention delayed, system or do they cut their losses and throw their lot in with Windows Mobile as seems likely?

Not an option that I am entirely comfortable with given the sales forecasts for Windows Mobile phones up to 2015, showing a declne.

A behemoth like Nokia cannot turn on a penny. They have had two less than perfect "N" devices. Their smartphone market share is in decline. The platform they were pinning their hopes on and have ploughed big bucks into, MeeGo, is still nowhere near ready. Symbian^3 is not a suitable stop gap. Therefore they need to ally themselves with another platform in the interim if they want to maintain a hold in the smartphone market.

The descisions taken by the previous Nokia management are now coming home to roost... the descisions taken by the present Nokia management will decide whether they have a future in the mobile smartphone market.