All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
Is each N8's product original code printed on the device somewhere? Like on the N97 it was labeled "Code:" on a sticker underneath the battery.

The reason I'm asking is that I've got my eye on a few "unlocked" and "sim-free" N8s on eBay and want to ask the sellers for the product codes so that I can look up where the phone originated.

Cheers!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM

greycounciller is on a distinguished road
A brand new N8 will have a removable sticker on the back stating product code and IMEI number. It will also have a small IMEI number sticker under the HDMI cover.
Also, the same product code number will be displayed in the phone thru Settings>Phone>Phone Management>Device Updates.
I'd be a bit wary of getting from eBay just now as you may find "Early" faulty units being offloaded.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greycounciller View Post
I'd be a bit wary of getting from eBay just now as you may find "Early" faulty units being offloaded.
The phone is supposedly brand new but thanks for the warning. I intend to find out how long they've had the phone, how they came by it and if it still has all the stickers in place (screen and lens protectors), and now that you've pointed out the sticker on the back, that'll be a good indication of whether or not it is brand new.

Cheers

P.S.
I sent the questions above while writing this post and they've already replied. The product code/IMEI sticker is still in place and they got the phone as an upgrade from Phones4U on 22nd Jan.

Product Code 059C5Q8: N8-00 RM-596 Country Variant United Kingdom GB V1 Dark Grey

Does anybody anticipate any problems with firmware releases for this UK product code? On my N97 I used a EURO product code.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 PM

greycounciller is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure all N8's in UK come with the Euro 2yr warranty as standard.
You should be ok.
Many of the early N8's have a power down fault, something you won't know about til you use the phone.
Warranty is imei dependant so should anything go wrong, just take it to a Nokia Care Point and they'll sort it out.
As for updates, It's not know how it will go as the major one hasn't been released OTA. All N8's, I believe, got the minor updates available so I don't think that one should be any different.
Do you know if it's SIM free or network locked?

Last edited by greycounciller; 03-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greycounciller View Post
Do you know if it's SIM free or network locked?
The auction describes it as sim-free. I guess it must have come that way (it has not been unlocked) as the product code is a UK variant, not carrier specific.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 PM

ccoleby88 is on a distinguished road
what does changing your product code actually do?