All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 27-12-2010, 05:13 PM
teabelly teabelly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
teabelly is on a distinguished road
Replacement for N86

I give up with the N86. It's just such a bug ridden piece of rubbish. It should be a good phone but just isn't. It's just decided to delete an email mailbox for no reason at all! Add to that the general stability problems - having to reset it sometimes 3 or 4 times in an hour. Resetting to original settings once every few weeks or a few months as it just becomes impossible to use it. I've had symbian phones for years and this has just been the worst phone I've ever had. I can't get the latest firmware but judging by comments on here it'll be no better. The E70 I had before was so much better reliability wise. The N86 has had 2 and it's still hopeless.

It's so annoying as the camera (when it works) takes really good photos and it's got the right form factor. When it is working properly it is really good but unfortunately most of the time it isn't.

Which symbian phones have good cameras (8mp) with flash, decent battery life and good messaging? Don't want touch screen only ones as I always use the keypad for texting. Needs good call quality too as this nokia isn't much cop at that either. Also use it for web browsing so that has to be reasonable.

I was looking at the samsung tocco as that had the features I wanted but it seems to be discontinued.

It took me ages to settle on this phone and it has been a total disappointment. Only had it a year but I really can't be bothered wrestling with it any more.

Other alternative is another messaging app for email and texts/MMS that is much more reliable. MMS hang and take ages to send and email is dead flaky. Email setup doesn't work properly either and it seems like the email app and messaging app aren't quite connected properly so the email app can 'lose' a mailbox that messaging thinks still exists. Messaging app replacement is last straw territory though.

  #2  
Old 27-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Kilroy Murdoch Kilroy Murdoch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Kilroy Murdoch is on a distinguished road
Hmmm tricky one.

The E7 which is coming out soon has an 8MP camera on top of a physical slide-out QWERTY.

Though my personal recommendation would be the Nokia N82. I had this phone for 3 years and it was fantastic. It may only have a 5MP camera but the Xenon flash makes up for it. Can really take some good shots. It also has the physical Keypad you were looking for, though the keys are a bit fiddly. You get used to them.

  #3  
Old 28-12-2010, 02:03 PM
teabelly teabelly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
teabelly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy Murdoch View Post
Hmmm tricky one.

The E7 which is coming out soon has an 8MP camera on top of a physical slide-out QWERTY.

Though my personal recommendation would be the Nokia N82. I had this phone for 3 years and it was fantastic. It may only have a 5MP camera but the Xenon flash makes up for it. Can really take some good shots. It also has the physical Keypad you were looking for, though the keys are a bit fiddly. You get used to them.
I think a business class phone might be better. I don't think business users tolerate poor software in the way that consumers might. I'm wary of nokia now really as this phone has been so appalling that I'm considering never touching one of their products again!

A friend had an N82 and loved it. It went flaky at around 2 years old so again I'm not impressed with build quality and reliability.

  #4  
Old 28-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Kilroy Murdoch Kilroy Murdoch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Kilroy Murdoch is on a distinguished road
I think you're right about the business class aspect.

Shame about your friends N8. I was running mine for 3 years. Around 2 years in it started to slow a bit due to all the apps I had installed. Decided to factory reset and it was back as new (software-wise) anyway...

I guess if you want to move away from Nokia then now would be the best time with the plethora of good choices out there. It seems as though you've just had bad luck with the phones you've had. Just assess your price point and features you're after...

  #5  
Old 29-12-2010, 12:47 AM
teabelly teabelly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
teabelly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy Murdoch View Post
I think you're right about the business class aspect.

Shame about your friends N8. I was running mine for 3 years. Around 2 years in it started to slow a bit due to all the apps I had installed. Decided to factory reset and it was back as new (software-wise) anyway...

I guess if you want to move away from Nokia then now would be the best time with the plethora of good choices out there. It seems as though you've just had bad luck with the phones you've had. Just assess your price point and features you're after...
It was the camera that died on the N82. Even factory reset wouldn't bring it back to life! They were gutted as it was the best phone they'd had. The N97 they've got now is a nightmare in comparison.

I spend ages checking reviews and have not bought quite a few that could have been even worse. I want a 6310i with t'internet and a decent camera! I think I gave up with the N86 and just bought it for the features as it had everything. Moments later CPW had withdrawn it because it was unreliable! Think they withdrew quite a few smartphones at the same time. Network operators interfering with phones is probably partly why this one has been less reliable. The E70 I bought sim free so it wasn't messed with so it was relatively ok.

Good camera, web/facebook, excellent messaging and decent battery life. Every single phone available should meet these basic needs but they all seem to struggle. Don't want an iphone as it's got a poor camera, poor battery life and no proper keyboard. Android phones have relatively poor cameras .I'm just left with Nokia and Samsung. Tried an LG viewty once. Nearly threw it against the wall in annoyance as it was so bad! Was very annoying as the LG chocolate I had was sort of ok apart from the dismal battery life.

The worst thing is you don't know a phone is pants until you try and live with it then you're stuck with it. I need to find somewhere that would let me try each one for a couple of days really. I usually crash most new phones within an afternoon...
Ads

  #6  
Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 AM
xerxes xerxes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 404
xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabelly View Post
It was the camera that died on the N82. Even factory reset wouldn't bring it back to life! They were gutted as it was the best phone they'd had. The N97 they've got now is a nightmare in comparison.

I spend ages checking reviews and have not bought quite a few that could have been even worse. I want a 6310i with t'internet and a decent camera! I think I gave up with the N86 and just bought it for the features as it had everything. Moments later CPW had withdrawn it because it was unreliable! Think they withdrew quite a few smartphones at the same time. Network operators interfering with phones is probably partly why this one has been less reliable. The E70 I bought sim free so it wasn't messed with so it was relatively ok.

Good camera, web/facebook, excellent messaging and decent battery life. Every single phone available should meet these basic needs but they all seem to struggle. Don't want an iphone as it's got a poor camera, poor battery life and no proper keyboard. Android phones have relatively poor cameras .I'm just left with Nokia and Samsung. Tried an LG viewty once. Nearly threw it against the wall in annoyance as it was so bad! Was very annoying as the LG chocolate I had was sort of ok apart from the dismal battery life.

The worst thing is you don't know a phone is pants until you try and live with it then you're stuck with it. I need to find somewhere that would let me try each one for a couple of days really. I usually crash most new phones within an afternoon...
You might want to take a look at previews of the Sony-Ericsson Xperia Arc which is due out in a couple of months. Its going to be expensive though...
 

Bookmarks

Tags
n86, replacement

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Global Shortage of Replacement GPS!!! TurtlePower Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) 57 16-02-2010 12:37 PM
How do you get a replacement from Nokia? munkiii Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) 70 01-11-2009 10:57 AM
SBSH's Papyrus for Series 60 - Calendar replacement Rafe Series 60 35 13-08-2007 01:05 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:23 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy