All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-03-2010, 09:58 AM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Are there any good photo management apps yet?

Nokia photo browser is fine for looking at you photos.

But, what about an app for renaming the silly folder names, and organising your pictures, perhaps with a pc counter-part?

The N97 has been out for a while now, so where are these much needed apps?

Old 16-03-2010, 10:18 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
what about an app for renaming the silly folder names
What silly folder names are you referring to riverboat?

Old 16-03-2010, 10:54 AM

well all the folders have random numbers when viewed on pc as a device.
Computer\Shaz N97\Mass memory\Images\Camera\201002\201002A0 ---These random folders.

Also i would like to open a photo app, browse through folders (albums) i have created on my pc and find a picture. (on the phone)

Or, put another way:

How do i create and name folders as albums, and where do i place them, surely it doesn't all have to be done on the phone?
Ads

Old 16-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
well all the folders have random numbers when viewed on pc as a device.
Computer\Shaz N97\Mass memory\Images\Camera\201002\201002A0 ---These random folders.

Also i would like to open a photo app, browse through folders (albums) i have created on my pc and find a picture. (on the phone)

Or, put another way:

How do i create and name folders as albums, and where do i place them, surely it doesn't all have to be done on the phone?
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Those are folder names that you have created in camera settings yourself.

I save my photos in folders that are automatically date stamped by the date the photo was taken. You can do this in settings:-

Camera > Options > Settings > Default image name > select date rather than text.

Old 16-03-2010, 11:12 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The numbers in the folder/directory names are not "random", even if they may seem to be. I'd say it is just a means to speed up access by dividing the pictures into separate directories and naming them by date + a sequence number (hexadecimal).

In any case, for some reason, Nokia has decided that even if the files are in a hierarchical folder/directory structure, the Gallery app presents them as a long flat list.

Then, the albums in the Gallery, has nothing to do with the folder/directory structure, but an album is a separate entity (selected list of pictures, regardless of which directory they're stored in).

You can create additional subfolders, all right, and the pictures are visible, but the Camera app still uses its own logic when it saves pictures. And, as stated, no matter what the folders are named, it has no bearing on how albums are handled, as they're not dependent on the folders.

Old 16-03-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Those are folder names that you have created in camera settings yourself.

I save my photos in folders that are automatically date stamped by the date the photo was taken. You can do this in settings:-

Camera > Options > Settings > Default image name > select date rather than text.

Yes, but i would like to be able to put some of my pictures from my pc onto the phone as folders, eg holidays,home,dogs,garden.

So that if i want to show someone a picture i don't have to go wading though loads of other pictures in the phone browser.

Old 16-03-2010, 11:36 AM

OK.

This is one way of doing it.

Open Photos on the phone > Albums > Options > New album > name it Dogs.

Now go to Gallery and select a photo that you want in your "Dogs" album > Options > Add to album > select your "Dogs" album.

The next time you want to view just your "Dogs" photos you need only to go to Photos > Albums > Dogs.

Hope that helps.

Old 16-03-2010, 11:46 AM

To place photo's from your PC to phone:-

Connect phone to PC Suite.

Select Phone Browser.

Navigate to your images file (I would guess E:/images) and open it.

Right click on it and select New and then New folder. A folder will be created called "New folder" which you can rename "Dogs".

Now all you have to do is copy and paste your doggie photos from the PC to the new "Dogs" folder you have just created on your Mass Memory.

Then just follow my previous posting to ensure they are displayed/tagged for your Dogs album.

Old 16-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Have you tried Nokia Image Exchange?

Its a betalabs project but its VERY tidy.

Its very swish looking, and will back up your pics automatically (if you want) to your private storage space online. You can then do what you want with the images. Clearly it needs a data connection but not a permanent one.

Have a look, see what you think.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:56 AM

Obichan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
OK.

This is one way of doing it.

Open Photos on the phone > Albums > Options > New album > name it Dogs.

Now go to Gallery and select a photo that you want in your "Dogs" album > Options > Add to album > select your "Dogs" album.

The next time you want to view just your "Dogs" photos you need only to go to Photos > Albums > Dogs.

Hope that helps.
This is something I would also like, I also want the images that did not originate on my phone to be intergrated with my captured images rather than being seperated.

I did sort out albums, but it is very time consuming having to do it on the phone and much easier/faster to do it on my computer.