All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 05-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight 125 - News, Vivaz Pro, 3 UK and Big Roll

In All About Symbian Insight 125, we welcome David Gilson to the podcast for the first time. This week we round up a lot of news including a rallying cry from Nokia's Anssi Vanjoki, details on SEE 2010, firmware updates for the E71, E66, N97 and N97 mini, SkyFire's market retreat, Nokia 5230 pricing and more. In the main part of the podcast David tell us about his experiences with the Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, Ewan talks about The Big Roll in Paradise and Rafe reports back from a 3UK briefing. You can listen to AAS Insight 124 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Concerning allaboutmeego

Why not move down the route of a social network site rather than a forum, utilising something like http://www.phpfox.com ?

You can also integrate Vbulletin with it for another $40 IIRC. Vbulletin as a forum is fine but after that I have always found it a bit cumbersome to get round.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:48 PM

brendand is on a distinguished road
@David

Class 2 Micro SDHC cards do not * guarantee* a throughput of 2Mb's per second. That's a theoretical upper limit. It's in fact much slower than that (trust me, I've done extensive scientific tests). If a Class 2 card was shipped with the Vivaz/Vivaz Pro then that's a mistake by Sony Ericsson. If they didn't give you one and you chose to use a Class 2 that's a mistake (on your part)

Old 05-07-2010, 02:48 PM

suyogmh is on a distinguished road
Typo???

@Steve, I guess there is type in line about Firmware updates, E77??? you meant E71 i guess

Old 05-07-2010, 03:27 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendand View Post
@David

Class 2 Micro SDHC cards do not * guarantee* a throughput of 2Mb's per second. That's a theoretical upper limit. It's in fact much slower than that (trust me, I've done extensive scientific tests). If a Class 2 card was shipped with the Vivaz/Vivaz Pro then that's a mistake by Sony Ericsson. If they didn't give you one and you chose to use a Class 2 that's a mistake (on your part)
The class 2 card was shipped with the Vivaz Pro review unit.

My experience to date has been that Micro SDHC cards have gone much faster than their class would imply, and therefore thought that the class should be a reliable indicator of minimum speed. My tests in the past have been to look at performance by transferring files via rsync, with batches of files with increasing average file sizes (i.e. a group of small, medium, and large).

Although, I've only done this with a very limited sample of cards and I didn't benchmark the card with the Vivaz Pro. It was up to Sony Ericsson to present their device to me, as a reviewer, in the best possible light. They saw fit to send me one with a class 2 card, and so I reviewed it as is.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:06 PM

With regards to 3UK and data

if you go near your limit you can purchase an extra 2gb for 5 which is valid for 30 days from the date you paid for it. They will also send you a txt message at various percentages used.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 PM

brendand is on a distinguished road
@Dave,

You're absolutely right, and I said the same. It would be worthwhile to find a class 6 card and see how that does, just to see though.

It seems that SEMC PR (or the company they use) have a pretty bad track record with this - seeing as I'm almost certain they provided Steve with a faulty Satio.
Ads

Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
Telenor and Netcom in norway offers twin(and even triple) sim cards for around 3 pounds per month per extra sim card. I have this and I can have 2 phones on at the same time and both will ring at the same time if someone calls me. Messages are of course also received on both phones. It is very handy. I can even use data on both at the same time.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 AM

According to a news article on GSMarena about leaked roadmaps the rumoured N9 slider phone will actually most probably be the E7, but I would have thought C7 would be a better fit than E7 as all recent E series share the blackberry form factor?