All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Wishy2008 is on a distinguished road
Can't re-install Maps on Nokia N96

Now that I've fixed my browsing problem I have another (hopefully the last) issue with my phone.

My map facility won't work anymore on my T-Mobile N96. I uninstalled it because I wanted to get rid of the latest Ovi maps version and revert back to the maps that came with the phone however now neither will work and neither will reinstall.

Boring reason for doing this is

I unbranded my handset to get at the latest software upgrades so that I could get at Ovi maps and have nice and free turn by turn voice guided Sat Nav. This worked fine except that I subsequently found that only Ovi Maps 3.0 (not 3.3 which has the full SatNav functionality) is available for my phone. I tried this on it's own for a while (it worked fine so I certainly hadn't done anything untoward during the unbranding process) and liked the way that the map rotates around the direction of travel (which the non-satnav original Nokia version doesn't) but found the maps to be woefully sparse in detail (as in pretty much non-existent) anywhere away from an A road. With this in mind (and the fact that it looks like Nokia won't be porting OviMaps 3.3 over to my phone any time ever) I decided I'd be better off just uninstalling it and going back to the original Nokia maps.

I have so far tried
1. Reflashing using the Nokia software suite (I'm on the latest 30.033 version on an unbranded handset).
2. Soft reset, hard reset and "Oh bugger my phone won't even boot" reset from here and then reflashing each time to see if the functionality comes back.
3. Swearing at it lots.
4. Reload the maps using map loader
5. Re-install Ovi maps

If I try to run the maps app I get a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody annoying phone
Cannot open application! Download latest version from nokia.com/maps
This link just sends you to the Ovi site and the software I was trying to get rid of in the first place.

I can go there and download the Ovi maps 3.01 .sis file but now my phone won't let me install that either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!
Unable to open. File type not supported.

Any ideas?

The GPS still works so it's not physically broken but GPS co-ords don't really help me much for what I want to use it for. Does anyone know if TMobile will have a problem with the handset being unbranded? I was wondering if I can try and get their help without needing to rebrand it back. I might yet rebrand it back anyway in order to see if that lets me have the original maps app back.

Old 28-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Update o'clock

After much hair pulling I saw that there was an update to the Ovi software suite today and after installing that my downloaded Ovi Maps install worked. It left my maps still blank but I'm downloading them again now to see.

Last edited by Wishy2008; 28-06-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Old 29-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Fixed

Overwriting my maps again finally fixed it!

In conclusion looks like either a bug with Ovi Suite or something wrong with my install of Ovi Suite.

Old 30-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
glad to see you sorted it and thanks for updating your post

Old 30-06-2010, 12:04 PM

You're welcome, I always like to tie threads like this up if I can whatever forum I may be on in the hope that it may help someone else in the future.
Ads

Old 30-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
yeah, cool...glad you do.. theres loads of people that just fade off into the distance.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Talking

Now just to see if Nokia port Ovi Maps 3.3 to the N96, I feel I may be waiting sometime!