All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 01-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Well, I'm glad Nokia has proceeding ahead with this.

Let's not act, though, that the company is only just responding to some wacky, out there, new fad. Podcasting has been around since the first few Creative Zens and iPods; what-- it's almost a decade now, I think? It isn't the 'tech elite, bloggers and first adopters' who are only into podcasts. I would include many consumers who commute to work/school.

Just because we're fans of a company, let's not excuse their shortcomings.
come on, if i walked us to the next 10 people i saw and asked them if they had weekly podcasts setup on their phone, i doubt even 1 of them would have it. The next 20 people? 50 people? I'd guess 3 out of 100 people have some type of podcasting setup on their mobiles. Even iphone users who have the luxury of itunes i doubt have much if any podcasts setup.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 AM

mouserider is on a distinguished road
One feature I've always missed on Podcasting is for automatic deletion of podcasts by allowing the user to specify how many latest episodes to keep for automatically updated items.

For some of my podcasts, especially those that pertain to daily news, I really don't need it if it is more than 3 days old.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
@Steve, sorry for the confusion last night, I got your tweet on twitter, those screenshots you spotted were mine, not yours that i was uploading. I too am testing Podcatcher, and helping making it better.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM

teknolog is on a distinguished road
Very nice to see people trying it out. As I mentioned, we need help testing Podcatcher.

When you discover a bug in it (there are many!), please enter it into our bug tracker. There are instructions how to do that.

Raising bugs is one of the simplest ways you can take part in Symbian, and it's a necessary step before that bug can be fixed. Don't be shy to do so, and please provide as much information about the bug as possible, including how to reproduce it.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouserider View Post
One feature I've always missed on Podcasting is for automatic deletion of podcasts by allowing the user to specify how many latest episodes to keep for automatically updated items.

For some of my podcasts, especially those that pertain to daily news, I really don't need it if it is more than 3 days old.
Sounds like a good feature request. Enter it as a bug with the "severity" field set to "Feature.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Oh, come on, be honest. Even though the SF is now 'independent', their main benefactor is Nokia. They're unofficially tied at the hip.
I think you need to realise there really is a difference compared to the previous situtaion. You can look at the governance rules too.

Yes Nokia remains the biggest contributor by far - there's no way that will chnage over night - but already other package owners and contributors are coming in - the podcasting application is one example of this. Their role is independent of Nokia - and things will happen and go into the platform without direct Nokia involvement. Social Framework is another good example.

The contribution primact of Nokia does mean that Nokia has a disproportionate influence (in one sense), but it is not able to block things on its own (as was previsouly the case). Thus far Foundation councils have been almost universally consensus driven, but...

Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Well, I'm glad Nokia has proceeding ahead with this.
??????

Did you read the article? It's EmbedDev, not Nokia.

But don't let that fact get in the way of having a dig at Nokia.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:04 PM

mouserider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknolog View Post
Sounds like a good feature request. Enter it as a bug with the "severity" field set to "Feature.
Done.

I'll play with it more and assist where I can.

Great work!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM

Thanks a lot Mouserider for your exemplary feature request.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Unregistered

Availability for E72

Just wondering if there is any chance of a version of Podcatcher for the E72 coming on stream? I've been watching the Bergamot page but there is no sign of the proposed S60 version of Escarpod.

Thanks in anticipation.

Michael

Old 13-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Billious

N97 issue/bug?

Hi, I've been trying out Podcatcher, after being a big fan of Escarpod on UIQ3. I'm now using an N97 Classic, and have managed to get it running OK, and have downloaded podcasts successfully. My only problem is that I can't get any of the podcasts to play! Tapping doesn't seem to do anything. The files are OK, and I can play them using File Manager, however this isn't very convenient, as you'll appreciate.

Has anyone else had this issue?

(Teknolog, I'll definitely put in a bug report when I get a chance...)

Old 21-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Annonymous

Not launching music player

Yes, I have this problem too. I am using a Samsung i8910 with s60v5 (HX2.1). It installed without a hitch and downloads podcasts nicely. However, when I click the downloaded Podcasts it fails to launch the music player. I can find the Podcasts using the music player, but this is too much hassle.

Good effort though - much nicer than the Podcast application that comes automatically with the i8910. I'll keep an eye on development!

Old 31-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

same here. it dowloads the podcast realy well but I can't launch the player from it. maybe it's a feature that isn't implemented yet.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

How do I play them

Great idea, I installed it on my 5800, after I was shocked to find that the native podcast player was completely crippled in version v50, because you cannot sort podcasts anymore by date added, or by "never played".

Anyway, I downloaded some podcasts with the Podcatcher, but now how do I play them?? Going manually to the file manager is surely not a feasible option.

Old 28-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

Great work!

As an ownner of an E55 Ive been using Scarpod for some time already and it has been a pleasure. I wonder if you have any update on the port of Podcatcher to the S60v3 platform.

Thanks!