All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 03-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
let's start off with 'real people' and their expectations. Dishing out for a high-end phone, in terms of pricing, but receiving a buggy and underpowered phone is NOT what a 'real end user' expects. Waiting for some months to receive firmware updates that make the phone somewhat usable is not what one expects either. And still now, my N97 has issues regarding delay of functions, crashes, functions not working properly, etc. that are just beyond what a 'real user' expects.

That's what you have to come from when judging superiority. How can a 'real user' expect anything different from the N8, anything different than being buggy for months to be useful and probably way behind other phones when finally being somewhat usable. It's the Nokia way ever since the N95 came out (great phone, probably the best but only usable after several firmware updates).

When being priced as a high-end phone, one expects things to work. Hence, the only logical thing Nokia did now was to set the price point significantly lower! Hence, it might set expectations differently (but don't expect the software to run any better).
A sensible high end user wouldn't buy a phone that doesn't work properly. To blindly go ahead and buy something untried and without testing it is the work of an idiot who deserves what they get.

I don't expect anything from anyphone and I am not going to buy an N8 until I know how it performs, same goes for any phone that I buy.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:40 PM

lark is on a distinguished road
I have to say that I am disappointed with how AAS (and the jest of site AllAboutMaemo) treats the N900 like it is an orphaned outlier in the Nokia family.

It is obvious that the N8's price placement has demonstrated that Nokia view Symbian as deprecated asset which will fill the role of "s40" for Nokia and that the true high end devices will be Maemo/Meego based in the future.

Anyone who has used the N900 will realize that the N97 is just not good enough. The N900 ticks all of the boxes for N97 and still provides a far better user experience. All that it is missing is a capacitive screen and bingo it is a veritable Android killer.

Lark

PS- Next time I will copyright the term "Nokia apologist" - I could have retired on that one.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Unregistered

when i'am driving my bike i have sportstracker app open to record my trip and at the same time i'am listening internet radio thru tunewiki app with my bluetooth headset (sony ericsson hbh-is800).Also when i'am i the car i'am allways listening internet radio with fm transmitter on the cars stereo and many times with nokia maps open for navigation.I was looking for the phone that can do this but there isn't such a phone!!Also there is a app that made n97 a wireless nas on my home network and i'am acessing the phone music and video recording with my wd live and watching on my tv.There isn't such a phone that can do this!!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 AM
Unregistered

Anssi Vanjoki (you know, one of the management guys at Nokia) said it best himself when admitting the N97 was a failure.

You don't need any more evidence when a manager is crapping on its' own company's product.

Lesson learned for potential buyers of Nokia products.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 AM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Oh, and OP Kallasvuo is gone in two days.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
I have to say that I am disappointed with how AAS (and the jest of site AllAboutMaemo) treats the N900 like it is an orphaned outlier in the Nokia family.
This site is allaboutsymbian - the important part being "symbian" The N900 is not a Symbian phone.

The price placement of the N8 will ensure that it sells far more units than any future Meego phone/pad tablet device and as a volume device, the N8 and subsequent Symbian^4 and thereafter devices will always be more important than Meego ones.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

n97 sucks really no doubt, buy how it is ruling who is buying this crap even after nokia admitting it as failed product i would say n97 disappointed every buyer n97 hangs every time even it cant play downloaded videos
may be innocent first hand users buying but the experienced one will say no to nokia because there are many other good phones avail
nokia and symbian lost credibility it will take some years to make it good untill then better stay away from nokia

Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
when i'am driving my bike i have sportstracker app open to record my trip and at the same time i'am listening internet radio thru tunewiki app with my bluetooth headset (sony ericsson hbh-is800).Also when i'am i the car i'am allways listening internet radio with fm transmitter on the cars stereo and many times with nokia maps open for navigation.I was looking for the phone that can do this but there isn't such a phone!!Also there is a app that made n97 a wireless nas on my home network and i'am acessing the phone music and video recording with my wd live and watching on my tv.There isn't such a phone that can do this!!
I agree that the N97 has more features than most other phones out there but what's the point if you have to struggle so hard to make them work?

The N97 Mini I had used to crash regularly with only two or three apps running so I'm impressed you can get yours to run Maps and stream audio over 3G at the same time.

I have never been a supporter of the blind "usability is more important than anything else" mantra chanted by some iPhone fanboys. I can deal with a little complexity in a UI and I welcome the additional flexibility the complexity enables, but when a company hobbles its supposed flagship model by underspecifying the hardware to the point that you cannot tell if the machine has crashed or just hasn't registered your screen tap that has to be unacceptable as a user experience.

The result is clearly visible if you walk through the streets of London or go on the train into town in rush hour. People I see using phones are split into three roughly equal groups; Blackberry users, iPhone users, and Samsung/SE/Nokia (S40 and S60) users.

I know that West and Central London are not representative of the general UK because they are comparatively more affluent but the N97 is also an expensive device and is directly comparable with the iPhone or high-end Blackberrys on price. I have noticed precisely four people using N97's in the wild in the last year (and I do notice these things because I am sad like that).
Ads

Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Biggles is on a distinguished road
Two of my colleagues bought N97s at my recommendation (before I did in fact) right at launch. The V10 or whatever firmware didn't impress them. One of them got a scratched camera. Both got rid of their N97s, one for Android and one for a Vodafone 360 device. I don't expect either of them to come back to Symbian again.

The N97 should have been the undisputed king of Symbian phones from the outset. And it wasn't. It is a good phone now, no doubts about that. But it needed to be like that from launch and I think it's badly damaged Symbian as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Donegan View Post
Note that most Satio's aren't buggy, particularly after the recent firmware update (I've asked lot's of Satio owners), Steve's seemed to have something wrong with it
I've had a Satio since launch and I view it as the best out of the box Symbian^1 phone. I never had the bugs Steve had - his unit was probably physically faulty or not running a vanilla Sony Ericsson firmware (and therefore would have been fixed properly in the first update). It's got power, it's got the camera, it's got a Xenon flash, it's got SE homescreen software that's pretty nice looking and I think adds to the functionality. With a little bit of hindsight I might have preferred the i8910 because of it's cooked ROMs, but hey didn't know they were going to be so damn good when I got my Satio.

There's only one slight catch with the Satio. It's not a Nokia. Unless you do stuff that most normobs wouldn't and certainly shouldn't have to, you don't get access to Ovi Store, so you lose access to most apps. Bummer. Ditto for Ovi Maps and free sat nav. Bummer. You also get infrequent firmware updates and certainly no guarantee of them, so us Satio owners still have a T9 bug and no kinetic scrolling. Bummer.

So until the N8 hits and Nokia make a new flagship, I'll stick with my Satio. I just really, really hope that Nokia make the N8 good out the box instead of good 3 firmware updates later.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
I agree that the N97 has more features than most other phones out there but what's the point if you have to struggle so hard to make them work? The N97 Mini I had used to crash regularly with only two or three apps running so I'm impressed you can get yours to run Maps and stream audio over 3G at the same time.
Fair comment, but do see my article on optimising RAM on the N97 - it's easy enough to get enough RAM for most uses these days.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...d_N97_mini.php

Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
So until the N8 hits and Nokia make a new flagship, I'll stick with my Satio. I just really, really hope that Nokia make the N8 good out the box instead of good 3 firmware updates later.
I think this is a really valid point. If the N8 at launch is as crap as the N97 was when it launched, then Nokia really do have a problem.

My personal feeling is that Nokia have too many models, and too many firmware versions to maintain reliably; I would hope that they streamline their portfolio, especially at the high end, and ensure that all of their models are reliable (or usable) when first launched...

Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

Oh dear Steve.

# Motorola Milestone (poor keyboard, poor keyboard and, yes, a poor keyboard, ruining the device's USP) - see the Phones Show review#

You use that one line to claim the the N97 beats the "Droid"? No way. May I remind you of your own words in concluding that review?

"A biggish battery rounds out a suprisingly impressive bit of kit"

"For a 2010 multitasking smartphone for both getting things done and playing with the latest Android internet hosted goodies, the Milestone is a decent all rounder"

and

"Despite now living in the shadow of the stylish and powerful Nexus One and the imminent stylish, powerful and sexy HTC Desire, maybe this is perhaps the best Android phone yet after all"

OK maybe you forgot all that. So what did you actually say about that keyboard (which, incidentally, after some use I find much better than the N97)?

"Given the slim form factor there's probably not much that could have been done here" and, here comes the best bit,

"I'd lump it in with the N97 for usability"

Oh dear. FAIL.

Everyone knows the N97 is dire as a 'flagship' smartphone. Lose the blinkers, stop contradicting your own words, and move on!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM

PDAMad is on a distinguished road
^ Log in troubles - that was me.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Unregistered

Until the next great phone

I find it funny that some people claim they will never ever buy a Nokia phone again (or anything from company X ever again). Sorry but I doubt it, especially with gadgets freaks and when it comes to high-tech gadgets.

In the high-tech world, things change very quickly, companies produce flops and darlings all the time, especially with companies that make so many models such as Nokia.

Nokia just needs to release another great phone and the majority of people (especially gadgets freaks who salivate for the next best thing and thus seldom practice brand loyalty) will all forget about that N97 hiccup.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Unregistered

Until the next great phone 2

Oh yeah, remember that so-called disaster that was Windows Vista? People were supposed to be leaving Windows forever too. Guess what? Windows 7 became the fastest selling Windows version ever. Yeah, so much for that "never ever again" song.