All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post

Regarding symbian being better, how exactly? Because it multi-tasks like a real computer?

I fail to see how FULL multi tasking makes it superior in any way?

??
So, if you want an app that hides in the background running while you do something else. Like a GPS tracker? Or something that is monitoring location? Or a time of some kind? One that will pop into life on a given event?

Take my EveryTrail app for example. Brilliant app but once you start it, and you go off on your journey, it has to be the only thing running. I can't reply a text, or check email etc because I would have to shut down everytrail (or in V4 suspend it).

Or if I wanted to write an app that would monitor my connection - and sound a warning if I was in a no-signal area (might be useful if I was expecting an important call), this app would have to be running exclusively on an iPhone. On ANY other smartphone it can be running out of sight all the time.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
>
What this shows is quite frankly that Apple don't have the engineering skill to implement full multitasking, and (shock horror at the very notion ;-) ) - the many years of development and experience that have gone into Symbian really have made all the difference and created the world's best multitasking OS (it's certainly light years ahead of iPhone, Android and anything else out there) - and notice I said OS, not mobile OS.

That's a bit silly really as Apple have the engineering knowledge to implement full multi-tasking in Snow Leopard - it comes from BSD UNIX - not apple. They just don't have the ability to relax and let people decide how many concurrent apps they want vs a compromised phone performance.

And it's not years of development and experience in Symbian that allows it to multi-task the way it does, because it has always been able to do it, even right back to EPOC32 in the mid 1990s, it is the heritage of that superb OS that gives the capability. Just as the linux heritage allows the android phones to do it, and just as Apple have crippled BSD in the iPhone implementation.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That can happen with any phone, sorry you can't keep a connection, I can keep one just fine on my 3GS, so can my girlfriend with her 3G, move to a different network maybe?
Err, how to you move to a different network with an iPhone, when it is only sold on one network? That's right, you can't.

At the end of the day, the iPhone is still a toy when compared to the more powerful devices, such as Android or Symbian. On the one hand Apple try to convince you it's the most powerful phone ever, then they won't let you delete ie. music files on the device itself, only via iTunes; this then renders it nothing more than an accessory to your PC...

Last edited by buster; 09-04-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Ads

Old 09-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Unregistered

"buster
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy
That can happen with any phone, sorry you can't keep a connection, I can keep one just fine on my 3GS, so can my girlfriend with her 3G, move to a different network maybe?
Err, how to you move to a different network with an iPhone, when it is only sold on one network? That's right, you can't.

At the end of the day, the iPhone is still a toy when compared to the more powerful devices, such as Android or Symbian. On the one hand Apple try to convince you it's the most powerful phone ever, then they won't let you delete ie. music files on the device itself, only via iTunes; this then renders it nothing more than an accessory to your PC..."

Dunno where you're from, but here in the UK the iPhone is available on pretty much all the networks, 4 in total, and with an unlocked iPhone you can use it on any network.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post

Which country does that apply to?

In the UK it is sold on Orange, Vodafone, O2, Tesco. If you want to use Tmobile, 3 or any of the other MVNOs then you simply request an unlock code and pick up a free SIM from somewhere. I think the same situation in all Europe.

Don't know abou the USA though, is is only sold on AT&T? There are other GSM networks, can't the US users simply request an unlock code and use another SIM? I know current iPhones won't work on CDMA networks (but who would want to use CDMA anyway?).

Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

"So, if you want an app that hides in the background running while you do something else. Like a GPS tracker? Or something that is monitoring location? Or a time of some kind? One that will pop into life on a given event?"

iPhone multitask can do that. Please try to be non-multitask yourself: read first and complain after that One thing at a time...

Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Which country does that apply to?

In the UK it is sold on Orange, Vodafone, O2, Tesco. If you want to use Tmobile, 3 or any of the other MVNOs then you simply request an unlock code and pick up a free SIM from somewhere. I think the same situation in all Europe.

Don't know abou the USA though, is is only sold on AT&T? There are other GSM networks, can't the US users simply request an unlock code and use another SIM? I know current iPhones won't work on CDMA networks (but who would want to use CDMA anyway?).
So basically, you're suggesting that someone buys an iPhone with a 18-24 month contract, as they have no choice. They then ask to get it unlocked, which many operators will not allow in the first year anyway, then put a different SIM in the phone while still paying for the contract which they are now no longer using. All to get a reasonable signal... hmm, interesting theory...

Old 09-04-2010, 11:14 AM
iFanboy

"So basically, you're suggesting that someone buys an iPhone with a 18-24 month contract, as they have no choice. They then ask to get it unlocked, which many operators will not allow in the first year anyway, then put a different SIM in the phone while still paying for the contract which they are now no longer using. All to get a reasonable signal... hmm, interesting theory..."

Wrong again buddy, you can now buy the iPhone PayAsYouGo :-). Can also buy it from apple direct themselves then put any sim card you want into it, so not as hard as you think. You'll still have SOMETHING to complain about though, I'm sure :-)

Old 09-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
"So, if you want an app that hides in the background running while you do something else. Like a GPS tracker? Or something that is monitoring location? Or a time of some kind? One that will pop into life on a given event?"

iPhone multitask can do that. Please try to be non-multitask yourself: read first and complain after that One thing at a time...
I'll give you the GPS, tracking. However, it still doesn't have the same extremely useful background application capabilities, the GPS example is but one of many.

And yes, there will be plenty to complain on all phones.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Wrong again buddy, you can now buy the iPhone PayAsYouGo :-). Can also buy it from apple direct themselves then put any sim card you want into it, so not as hard as you think. You'll still have SOMETHING to complain about though, I'm sure :-)
Even if you can buy the iPhone PAYG, that doesn't necessarily help someone who has recently bought one, only to find that it can't hold a signal, as they will probably not be able to unlock it for the first 12 months, meaning they're stuck with their current network...

And anyway, I'm not complaining. I don't own an iPhone and have no intention of ever buying one, locked or unlocked. The total cost of ownership is too high and the performance is too low to justify it; if the iPhone 3GS overheats WITHOUT multi-tasking it'll be interesting to see how it does WITH multi-tasking (and no, my Nokia has NEVER overheated)...

Old 09-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

"buster
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy
Even if you can buy the iPhone PAYG, that doesn't necessarily help someone who has recently bought one, only to find that it can't hold a signal, as they will probably not be able to unlock it for the first 12 months, meaning they're stuck with their current network...

And anyway, I'm not complaining. I don't own an iPhone and have no intention of ever buying one, locked or unlocked. The total cost of ownership is too high and the performance is too low to justify it; if the iPhone 3GS overheats WITHOUT multi-tasking it'll be interesting to see how it does WITH multi-tasking (and no, my Nokia has NEVER overheated)..."

Quite frankly that's their own silly fault for not testing it in store/friends/families or hell, even researching about the device first. Sure, some people will have signal probelms, and some don't. Is that so hard to understand?

And LMAO at the overheating comment, are you too young to remeber the exploding Nokias? Fair enough when left in extreme heat the iPhone can overheat yes, but not once has an iPhone exploded on it's user lol.

And you keep saying the performance too low, in what way? My 3GS can run circles around every Nokia out today in speed, and anything the Nokia can do the iPhone can do better either standard, or jailbroken if need be. With the "Click once and forget" nature of jailbreaking these days it's a lit easier to do it now than say, load a custom firmware onto an i8910? Heh

Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 AM

richardyates is on a distinguished road
If you want to talk about iphones (and I *do* have one), please f off elsewhere

Old 10-04-2010, 01:27 PM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"buster
and anything the Nokia can do the iPhone can do better either standard, or jailbroken if need be....
Didn't realise I could jailbreak a camera flash onto the iPhone! finally, those out and about shots will look great! And what's that? I can jailbreak a standard usb connection onto it too? and I can jailbreak choice of form factor? This jailbreak thing is amazing!

Old 10-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Quite frankly that's their own silly fault for not testing it in store/friends/families or hell, even researching about the device first. Sure, some people will have signal probelms, and some don't. Is that so hard to understand?
What you are basically admitting is the iPhone needs testing before purchase, as it MAY not work for a particular user. And anyway, not everyone has a friend with an iPhone on a particular network to try, so that's a slightly unrealistic suggestion to make. And let's not forget that this is NOT something you generally have to do with a Nokia, as they have no problems with reception.

Quote:
And LMAO at the overheating comment, are you too young to remeber the exploding Nokias? Fair enough when left in extreme heat the iPhone can overheat yes, but not once has an iPhone exploded on it's user lol.
Not true; there have been reports of exploding iPhones, see here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10312537-1.html...

Quote:
And you keep saying the performance too low, in what way? My 3GS can run circles around every Nokia out today in speed, and anything the Nokia can do the iPhone can do better either standard, or jailbroken if need be.
Somehow I doubt that. No doubt the iPhone 4.0 update with some multi-tasking support will improve things, but the lack of multi-tasking IS a limitation in usablility. You're playing a game, want to check your email, and heh, the game closes and has to be restarted. No matter how quick that is, it can't be called "running circles round a Nokia". You're happy with your iPhone, which is great, but I certainly would not be, which is why I'll never buy one.