All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I disagree. There's no way I would accept having to keep a handset for 2 years. Any decent contract should offer the handset free upgrade long before that.

Of course iPhone 3G got the OS upgrade, but it's version 3, of the iPhone OS. It added a few new features like cut and paste but you still have to get the 3G S if you want to use the camera for video. That's nothing more than a bug fix update under another name.

I'm really not bothered about updates.
Regardless of what we'd like contracts to say, the fact of the matter is that in the US the typical contract is 2 years long. Even in the UK when I was there I had to agree to a 12 or 18 month contract to get a decent subsidy.

Anyway, I'd also consider the addition of a decent Bluetooth stack including the PBAP profile to be a bug fix. That was the main benefit of s60 v3 FP2 vs FP1. Nonetheless, I couldn't get that on my N95-3.

There were a lot of minor updates to the iPhone OS between v. 2.0 and v. 3.0. Also, if I consider my Nexus One, the first software update gave me multi-touch and a subsequent one brought Google Earth. That's more significant than what the typical Nokia update brought.

Old 26-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Dushyant

5230 beats all of them!!!!
Really man! My phone is one mnth old and even after harcore usage it never ceases to amaze me.....
Flash player is too good nd lets me play pc games with ease.....
3g is great (5530 sucks)
Music quality is mind blasting with upgraded ear cans....
Gps,motion sense.....
List goes on and on......

Old 26-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Regardless of what we'd like contracts to say, the fact of the matter is that in the US the typical contract is 2 years long. Even in the UK when I was there I had to agree to a 12 or 18 month contract to get a decent subsidy.

Anyway, I'd also consider the addition of a decent Bluetooth stack including the PBAP profile to be a bug fix. That was the main benefit of s60 v3 FP2 vs FP1. Nonetheless, I couldn't get that on my N95-3.

There were a lot of minor updates to the iPhone OS between v. 2.0 and v. 3.0. Also, if I consider my Nexus One, the first software update gave me multi-touch and a subsequent one brought Google Earth. That's more significant than what the typical Nokia update brought.
You could also say that the addition of kinetic scrolling on V5 and demand paging on V3 were more than a bug fix.

Surely those US 2 year contracts offer mid-term upgrades with a new free handset? I think if I was there I would refuse to comply with such evil terms. Two years is completely out of order and it's time for americans to kick back and simply refuse to accept it.

Old 26-02-2010, 08:02 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
N1 indeed has better hardware. Don't you remember how buggy N97 was? N97's free ram is about 40-50 Mb. Even Nokia has acknowledge that its flagship device needs better hardware. That's why there is romour about nokia's snapdragon phone going around.

Multitouch is nice to use because its intuitive and a lot of people ask for it. That's why it is included in Symbian^3.

Btw, Google Earth has just been released for Android. Besides, Android Os is upgradable. Ex, Droid is going to be updated from Android 2.0 to Android 2.1. I believe if there is a new version of Android, N1 will get updated too. Could Nokia do that? Updated N97 to Symbian^3 when it is out? Of course it can't. You have to buy a new handset because of its resistive touchscreen and meager hardware.
The bugs of the N97 are totally down to firmware. Its got exactly the same hardware as the 5800, N97 Mini, X6 and 5230. None of them having the same memory problems.

Nokia could easily allow the N97 to be updated to Symbian^3. No technical reason why they can't. The reason why they probably won't though is that they're primarily a hardware company.

Old 26-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushyant View Post
5230 beats all of them!!!!
Really man! My phone is one mnth old and even after harcore usage it never ceases to amaze me.....
Flash player is too good nd lets me play pc games with ease.....
3g is great (5530 sucks)
Music quality is mind blasting with upgraded ear cans....
Gps,motion sense.....
List goes on and on......
Well, beats them on value for money at least.

Music quality is good, but its definitely not great. Technically good, but actual sound quality is a little bland - on that count its just like an iPhone!

I've had my 5230 for close on two weeks, it has been quite a surprise. Even on the release firmware its relatively reliable. Only had one crash (malformed MP4 file caused it to die), and only a couple of minor firmware bugs.

Old 26-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
The bugs of the N97 are totally down to firmware. Its got exactly the same hardware as the 5800, N97 Mini, X6 and 5230. None of them having the same memory problems.

Nokia could easily allow the N97 to be updated to Symbian^3. No technical reason why they can't. The reason why they probably won't though is that they're primarily a hardware company.
N97 is not capable enough to handle S^3. Its 434 Mhz CPU and 128 Mb RAM plus no hardware acceleration and no capacitive touchscreen will be the issues.

What do you mean with no memory problems? How many freem ram do you get after booting? Try to open heavy web while listening to music and other things. You need to monitor the ram or else apps will be closed in the background.

The flash support is far from good. Youtube stutters and changing the screen orientation sometimes results to a crash.

Even Nokia VP has admitted that N97 is a flop.

Old 26-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO'M View Post
About 6 months after I purchased my N95-3, Nokia had the N85 out with a worse camera, basically the same inner hardware (except sans a graphics chip), but a more powerful OS that finally had a decent Bluetooth stack. I'd have much preferred to upgrade the N95-3, even for a fee, than buy a brand new phone. The N95-3 was certainly capable of running S60 v3 FP2, but Nokia provided only FP1 with it.
N85 and N95 had the same camera, just slightly different post processing. Images I took side by side on the two looked almost identical.

The N95 was a quicker device than the N85 despite lacking a good few mHz in processor speed. Something to do with a hardware graphics accelerator ....

Old 26-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
N97 is not capable enough to handle S^3. Its 434 Mhz CPU and 128 Mb RAM plus no hardware acceleration and no capacitive touchscreen will be the issues.

What do you mean with no memory problems? How many freem ram do you get after booting? Try to open heavy web while listening to music and other things. You need to monitor the ram or else apps will be closed in the background.

The flash support is far from good. Youtube stutters and changing the screen orientation sometimes results to a crash.

Even Nokia VP has admitted that N97 is a flop.
I'll take you back in time. Late 80s/early 90s. A desktop PC running an ARM3 processor at 25mHz could easily handle full screen 3D gaming that responded absolutely perfectly. So tell me why a 434mHz, heavily improved version of the same processor core can't handle the new operating system.

Sure, multi-touch won't be on there, but so what? Thats an option, not mandatory.

Not sure how much free memory I've got on the 5230. But so far no memory problems. Watching a movie, pause it, start the browser, open a few pages, start it downloading a podcast .... no problems.

The N97 problems were two fold. Some of the physical elements suck (keyboard is just plain wrong, the camera problems) and the initial firmware was very typically rushed Nokia.

keyboard and camera problems aside, functionality can be massively improved by firmware updates.

I'm constantly puzzled by the problems Nokia experience on their products releases. They obviously make a lot of stupid changes to the OS between releases.

5800/N97 on release - dire. 5230 (on v11 right now) seems absolutely fine.

Old 26-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
I'll take you back in time. Late 80s/early 90s. A desktop PC running an ARM3 processor at 25mHz could easily handle full screen 3D gaming that responded absolutely perfectly. So tell me why a 434mHz, heavily improved version of the same processor core can't handle the new operating system.

Sure, multi-touch won't be on there, but so what? Thats an option, not mandatory.

Not sure how much free memory I've got on the 5230. But so far no memory problems. Watching a movie, pause it, start the browser, open a few pages, start it downloading a podcast .... no problems.

The N97 problems were two fold. Some of the physical elements suck (keyboard is just plain wrong, the camera problems) and the initial firmware was very typically rushed Nokia.

keyboard and camera problems aside, functionality can be massively improved by firmware updates.

I'm constantly puzzled by the problems Nokia experience on their products releases. They obviously make a lot of stupid changes to the OS between releases.

5800/N97 on release - dire. 5230 (on v11 right now) seems absolutely fine.
Indeed 5230 is a fine device considering its price. But there should be no excuse for N97 to use the same 434 Mhz and 128 Mb Ram! This is their flagship device, isn't it? It certainly can do basic things well, but it is not as responsive as what the competitors offer at this price range. Have you ever used N1? Snapdragon is proven to improve the speed. Many reviewers also admit that it is definitely faster than the already better A8 (Cortex) processor used in Droid/Milestone. Apple 3GS and palm pre use A8 processor.

Even Nokia 5630 and E72 use 600 Mhz processor. Capacitive touchscreen should improve your typing speed as well because it can register more than one touch.

P.S. I actually find N97 Mini more compelling than N97.

Old 27-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Unregistered

Being updateable isn't an advantage? REALLY?

SERIOUSLY?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
/caps

Having the OPTION to update is always better than not being able to, the choice is left to the end users.

PS: Saying the N97's h/w isn't outdated while Nokia themselves admitted is, ahem, sad.

Old 28-02-2010, 01:45 PM

mCrem is on a distinguished road
All these oses and I'm still disappointed to find that no other OS other than symbian has as much a rich multimedia feature-set. It seems that with other os'es you cant have great music playback/internet/photography/video capability all at once. I've been trying to get off the symbian train for a while now. I still can't understand why symbian is the only smartphone os that can have both featurephone features and be smart at the same time..
Ads

Old 01-03-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
PS: Saying the N97's h/w isn't outdated while Nokia themselves admitted is, ahem, sad.
Thats not what the Nokia guy said though. He was making out that the N97 had problems, but didn't say that the hardware was outdated.

With a suitably efficient OS, a 434 mHz processor is easily enough.

Heck, its higher spec that the laptop I was using for work 7 years back! And that was running a relatively inefficient OS.