All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Gavin Watson is on a distinguished road
Data cable / charging issues

Hi all,

I am getting hit and miss charging issues with my data cable, specifically with a in-car charger that has USB sockets, where it will not charge at all (charges my PDA fine through there), and I just wondered if anyone had any advice/info on this?

When connectign to the laptop via the cable it is hit and miss as to whether it will charge or not, and when connecting to the USB socker on the 12v car charger it doesnt want to know...

It isn't a genuine Nokia cable, but surely if it works for PC Suite and sometimes on the latop, its not the cable?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:05 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
I also have this with a genuine Nokia cable and my computer since moving over to windows 7.

I assumed in my case it is something to do with windows 7, since I did not see the problem when on XP, however I did not have the N97 long before moving to windows 7 so cannot be sure the problem did not exist then.

I have changed power saving settings on my computer but the problem persists.

It is so bad, I no longer charge via my computer and use the proper power supply / charger.

I have yet to use a car charger so cannot comment there.

I am now wondering ater reading this post if it is a phone problem?

dog-man

Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 PM

My non-original car charger works just fine, as does the mains charger... Just the USB cable via the PC is intermittent and via the car adaptor is totally useless...

Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 PM

weelogic is on a distinguished road
Gavin, I have had the same issue with the official data cable. It works while connected to my laptop, but does not work in any USB charger, even when I use a power booster. I bought a retractable cable from fleabay (Proporta) and it works on any USB charger that I have tried so far. It also works as a sync cable with the laptop.

What that suggests to me is that there is some setting within the pin configuration of the cable that the phone "sees" and disables the charging circuit. The PC connection can fire data over the cable to get round that, but unofficial USB chargers can't. I bought several USB chargers that were listed on websites as guaranteed to work with the Nokia N97. They didn't.

I would think that maybe the Proporta cable has a different pin configuration which allows the charging circuit to complete.

Maybe someone out there with better knowledge of circuitry can tell me if I am on the right path, or if the Proporta cable works through pot luck!

Old 13-11-2009, 08:14 AM

Hi Weelogic, thanks for that, i'll try one myself...
Ads

Old 13-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Hi Weelogic, I can't find anything relating to Proporta, if you get a chance/time, could you point me to te right direction of what you actually oredered that worked for you??

Thanks.

Old 14-11-2009, 01:04 PM

weelogic is on a distinguished road
Gavin, this is what I ordered:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=310173004168

I hope it works - at 3 quid it has to be worth a shot!

Old 14-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
Mine's a bit temporamental when connecting to any PC with the data cable. Tried official and knock-off from ebay.
It seems if I turn the phone off and on again it will usually connect & charge afterwards. It has only ever once not charged from an actual charger (old style Nokia with adaptor) and again it worked fine after turning the phone off and on again.
This is with v11 firmware, it did improve a bit with the PC connectivity after updating from v10 but nothing newer is available for my network yet.

Old 14-11-2009, 03:53 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I've only ever connected my phone to two different computers, my home and work ones, both of them running Vista Business. At first, with my home PC, I had to connect and disconnect the cable three times before it would start changing, yet my work PC would make it charge straight away. In recent weeks though, the tables have turned, and instead it takes 2-3 connections/disconnections to start charging, whereas my home PC now charges it first time round.

I wonder if it's due, in part, to the software on the computer itself. Maybe we should start trying to charge the phone on something that has no drivers for it, like a games console or something.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 14-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I wonder if it's due, in part, to the software on the computer itself. Maybe we should start trying to charge the phone on something that has no drivers for it, like a games console or something.
Ironically, this is exactly my problem, I have a car adaptor that plus into the cigarette lighter which has 4 USB connectors, and I get nothing at all with it, so no drivers here...

Strange...

Thanks for link weelogic, will try it out.

Old 15-11-2009, 12:37 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Watson View Post
Ironically, this is exactly my problem, I have a car adaptor that plus into the cigarette lighter which has 4 USB connectors, and I get nothing at all with it, so no drivers here...

Strange...

Thanks for link weelogic, will try it out.
Okies, I tried it out on my Wii while it was on standby. I used the official Nokia micro USB cable AND...

...it worked first time!

So we know now that it's nothing to do with software/drivers.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open