All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-11-2009, 11:31 AM

sillybilly is on a distinguished road
Lost contacts - E71

Hi,
New to the forum, so sorry if i have left out crucial info, but i'll try and explain clearly as possible:
E71 which has the 3 software installed. Always worked well until recently (slowing down a bit) so i planned to back-up, wipe and restore contacts and messages. I had been ignoring the "new pc suite available" for some time although thought it was a good idea to upgrade before backing up. The suite was upgraded from version 7 and it asked for a re-boot. After re-booting, all my contacts had vanished. Messages, applications, media all ok - just the contacts. Only the exit button is available within contacts. I do have a back-up from a few weeks ago, although have added some contacts since then.
Any advice greatly received. Thanks for reading!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Workaround

I understand , Contacts is malfunctioning : as described the only option is " Exit" .
When you have all data backupped on your PC , I advice a Reset . See my Post here for different Workarounds :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021

For future surprises : to save your personal data :
1) You can do a Backup on MemoryCard > Options > Backup , for settings , bookmarks etc .
2) A Backup for Contacts on MC : Contacts > Options > Mark All > Options > Backup . This File is stored in MC > Others > Contacts .
3) Messaging can be set in Options to MC .
4) Only Calendar can NOT be backupped on MC , sadly .

Regards jApi NL

Old 09-11-2009, 05:38 PM

sillybilly is on a distinguished road
Hi,

thanks for your prompt reply. I carried out a back-up, although the contacts section had an exclamation mark in it and in the log it said it cannot be restored to another phone.

The bizarre thing is if I open the contacts using Version 7, it displays the contacts for about 2-3 seconds before saying they cannot be displayed. This is long enough to do a screen print, although not ideal!

Thanks for reading!

Edit:
Just to let viewers know I now have made a rather time consuming (but worth it!) exercise of recovering what I thought I had lost. Using Version 7 suite, it gave me just enough time to press the print screen button before displaying the error "Unable to refresh contacts". Not the most technical way, but after searching for ages seems I had run out of things to check! Time to sync them with Gmail i think!
Thanks for reading!

Silly

Last edited by sillybilly; 09-11-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Update

Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Security Software ?

It looks like a security software , which asks for a code , before an app can be opened , is interfering . Or a hiding setting in your PC .

Contacts can also be copied to SIM . I use a second phone for backup .
Good luck with all the typing !

Regards jApi NL

Old 10-11-2009, 06:11 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Could you please be more specific about your issue? I cannot understand what exactly your issue is all about?

If i understand correctly, You have earlier installed Nokia PC Suite 7.1.30.9 and Have you received any update available similar to OVI Suite 2.0.1.35 after connecting your Nokia E71?

From which PC Suite you have taken your backup? From where all your contacts got vanished on the phone? Or from your Nokia OVI Suite.

Please try to differentiate between Nokia PC Suite (7.1.30.9) and Nokia OVI Suite(2.0.1.35)?

Explaining your issue will be eye-opener for our other forum members

Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
for future also you can sync your device directly to Ovi over the air too.