All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-09-2009, 11:57 AM

SsnickersS is on a distinguished road
The behavior of the GPS is strange... Did you try this :

Go underground very deeply
Disconnect your N97 from network using the appropriate mode
Run Applications - Location - GPS Data and look at sat informations :
You will see some rectangles (sat the phoe can see), but you're underground and with no AGPS, how can the phone "see" sat, impossible !

Remove the SIM card and do the same thing :
you will see no sat rectangles. It is normal : no sat availbale undergroung.

But, in the two experiences you are underground and AGPS is not used (not connected to network).
But the phone behaves differently.

Please, can you try and comment ?
What do you think of that ?

Thank you.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
I've just spoken to the N97 hotline, (the number that Dave posted) and he told me that the Lens will now be repaired at any Care point under warranty, but that the GPS might not be, because apparently V12 is meant to fix it!

Nobody who has V12 seems to have mentioned that it's cured their GPS ails though, right?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 PM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
Firmware v12 did not fix my N97 GPS problem

Firmware v12 did not fix my N97 GPS problem, I called Three who sent a repair envelope and then replaced the phone. The new one came with v11 firmware and the GPS worked beautifully. I've now applied v12 firmware and OVI Maps 3 (which is available again for the N97) and GPS is still A-OK.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Seft is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewrleech View Post
Firmware v12 did not fix my N97 GPS problem, I called Three who sent a repair envelope and then replaced the phone. The new one came with v11 firmware and the GPS worked beautifully. I've now applied v12 firmware and OVI Maps 3 (which is available again for the N97) and GPS is still A-OK.
Hi, did they say that they were going to replace it or did you have to send it in 'for repair' and just got a new one?

Also, did you get a warranty replacement despite having debranded the phone?
Ads

Old 01-09-2009, 09:13 PM

jonathan488 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seft View Post
Hi, did they say that they were going to replace it or did you have to send it in 'for repair' and just got a new one?

Also, did you get a warranty replacement despite having debranded the phone?
Good questions Seft, I'd also like to know the answers because I'm on Three too (although I haven't debranded my phone).

I'm having major GPS issues. I'm on my second N97 and am currently on the V11. Sadly I didn't have the first N97 long enough to test out the GPS etc (it died) so I can't comment on whether they are using diferent GPS hardware (unlikely).

It would be good to know if a "repair centre" could fix the problem along with my scratched lens.

I assume they can replace the lens but the same thing will happen soon after?

Edit: The problems I'm having are with Nokia Maps version v3.01. I've tried to apply the 3.1 update from SW Update application but it doesn't seem to update the application (when viewed from the About screen in Maps). Once installed I can go back to the SW Update application and the Maps 3.1 update appears again in the list as well as my "previously successful installed updates".

So yes, I can be driving around and have no signal and then suddenly the signal bar fills up half way and then drops out etc. etc. so it's basically unusable. I'm thinking of dusting down my trusty N95 because this is just ridiculous.

Last edited by jonathan488; 01-09-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 AM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewrleech View Post
When you say it works beautifully, what sort of signal are you getting, what's the accuracy like? My phone is from Three as well