All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-10-2009, 01:26 PM

wacko is on a distinguished road
Adding more shortcuts

Hi, Does anyone know a method to add more shortcuts (more than the 8) to your home screen, I could really do with adding another 4 shortcuts rather than just widgets. It doesn't look too promising but it would great if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I don't think there is, only the 8 I'm afraid.

You can try to eliminate any duplicated shortcuts, if any. Maybe the following will help:
  • Pressing the clock opens the clock application, where you can set alarms and see any world clocks you've set, therefore you won't need a shortcut for Clock or alarms.
  • Pressing the date opens up the calendar, in which you can then set a new meeting or to-do note right away, so you won't need a calendar, meeting or to-do note shortcut.
  • Opening the lens cover opens the camera app automatically, so no need for a camera shortcut. If you'd rather use the front camera first, just press the camera shutter button instead of opening the lens cover.
  • Pressing the green call key opens up your call logs, so a logs shortcut won't be needed.
  • The right selection key on the homescreen can be changed via Homescreen > Options > Right selection key, to become a 9th shortcut, technically speaking.
  • If one of your current shortcuts has a widget already, how about putting that widget on your homescreen? This would then free up the space used by the shortcut for another app that doesn't have a widget.
Hope this helps.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 11-10-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:15 PM

wacko is on a distinguished road
Thanks zxon some good suggestions didn't think about the date for calendar so thats freed up 1 space, struggling to free up anymore could ust do with the extra shortcuts but never mind it looks like i'm gonna be struggling. Thanks anyway

Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Wildsau is on a distinguished road
I ended up with Smart Settings, set on the right softkey. Pretty handy software.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Different Approach of Shortcuts

I suppose you'll like to have all your favorite Apps and Widgets on one Screen ?
Shortcut 9 - right softkey can do it . Go to Menu > Options > Create New Folder . Name this new Folder e.g. "Shortcuts" . Move all the favorites to this new folder . Set shortcut 9 to this new folder and you are done .

Regars jApi NL
Ads

Old 13-10-2009, 06:23 AM

RanRuobin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
I suppose you'll like to have all your favorite Apps and Widgets on one Screen ?
Shortcut 9 - right softkey can do it . Go to Menu > Options > Create New Folder . Name this new Folder e.g. "Shortcuts" . Move all the favorites to this new folder . Set shortcut 9 to this new folder and you are done .

Regars jApi NL
sounds great. If it is that easy, I probably doing somthing wrong. I can not find out how to assign a folder "xxxname" to the 9th shortcut on homescreen. I found a choice between applications or bookmark. Neither apps nor bookmarks give me the option to add my new folder. However, may be I am blind for the obvious, so, please give me some advise on how to assign this folder to the right-softkey.
TIA
Ruobin

Old 13-10-2009, 07:04 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanRuobin View Post
sounds great. If it is that easy, I probably doing somthing wrong. I can not find out how to assign a folder "xxxname" to the 9th shortcut on homescreen. I found a choice between applications or bookmark. Neither apps nor bookmarks give me the option to add my new folder. However, may be I am blind for the obvious, so, please give me some advise on how to assign this folder to the right-softkey.
TIA
Ruobin
I'd like to know how to do this to.

Please could you explain jApi NL.

Old 13-10-2009, 01:18 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Hope it works .....

This idea works on my E90 S60 v 3 . Since N97 is more advanced ....
When I press Menu button . Menu pops up .
Go to Options > Create New Folder .
Now I can move any App or (Dave Cozens) Widget to this New Folder.
Last : connect a shortcut button - like softkey of N97 - to this New Folder .... Urgh here you are right , only a selection of single apps or bookmarks .
Though , I moved the New Folder in Menu to the first place that pops up after Menu button press . Then press Launch/Enter .
Shortly : two presses bring me to the favorite New Folder .
Sorry for arousing too much expectation ....

Regards jApi NL