All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
antonioj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
What's your point here? The iPhone v1 and 3G both suffered from lag as does the N97. On the other hand the N97 can comfortably cope with third party multi-tasking without unacceptable power loss which the iPhone struggles with. Also, the v1.0 and v2.0 firmware versions for the iPhone and iPhone 3G were slow and buggy just like the current N97 is on its firmware. Perhaps you should compare them when the N97 is using mature firmware too, hmm?

Yes... and? They still lagged on initial firmware and still can't effectively multitask without power management issues. Also, do you think that Mobile OS X could comfortably run on an ARM11 clocked at 369MHz like S60v5 does?

Yes... and?

Your point is wrong because your sole method of comparison is the immature firmware on the N97. On the other hand you could have considered the kernel structures, power management and application layers for both Symbian and Mobile OS X and it would have been pretty clear to you why Mobile OS X requires more horsepower to function than Symbian does.

Mobile OS X requires more horsepower to run than Symbian does. That's a fact and having a hissy fit isn't going to change that. As for your comment about the i8910 and Saito... so what? They use more powerful hardware but they don't need to as much as the iPhone 3GS does.

Read Webbunny's post for more detail if you can't be bothered doing the research yourself.

Well duh! That's the whole point - Mobile OS X is more demanding than Symbian which is why it either has to strip back its functionality or ...drumroll... use a more powerful CPU!

But thanks for playing!

In what sort of alternative Universe do you live in?
Ads

Old 05-09-2009, 08:40 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonioj View Post
In what sort of alternative Universe do you live in?
One where I expect people to be able to refute statements rather than making pointless insults.

Was there anything else or are we done here?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 AM
RVD

Capacitive touch screen

It is true, its the 1st Nokia phone to come with a capacitive touchscreen. Got the full device details here-

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/X6

Looks interesting, and I hear they're pricing at EU 350? That's certainly competitive.

~ RVD

Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
It is true, its the 1st Nokia phone to come with a capacitive touchscreen. Got the full device details here-

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/X6

Looks interesting, and I hear they're pricing at EU 350? That's certainly competitive.

~ RVD
That does explain everything, thanks!

Altho I'm not so sure that it'll be priced at EU 350..