All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Samsung i8910 HD review - but not from AAS

Credit where credit's due, here I am procrastinating about my full review of the Samsung i8910 HD because of all its current software imperfections, and Jonathan Bruha goes and writes the device up as-is, and very much in my 'style', pulling no punches for either pros or cons, and with many deft turns of phrase. The Symbian device of 2009? Or a desperately flaky orphan? There's plenty in the review to support either argument, fascinatingly.

Read on in the full article.

Old 26-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Unregistered

This is the kind of review I like to see. A review coming from a *real* user, doing *real* things and not imposing false limits on their use of the phone.

Bravo!

Old 26-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Unregistered

Great great review. Now if steve does a video review that would be complete

paracha3

Old 26-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

huh

DLNA? It's called 'Home Media' on my old n95 classic, and I have used it to play video and view pictures over the ps3 in exactly the same fashion.. Not sure what is new about this.. Really, I STILL have yet to be moved by a phone like the n95 did. This thing is on it's last legs, and the 8910 hd was hopefully the one, but that crap low light camera performance drops it for me :(

Old 27-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Very good review.

A few of the negatives (mainly browser related) have already been addressed by Samsung and we'll see some significant improvements here in the next firmware release (due...soon)

Old 27-08-2009, 03:16 AM

Zaqfalcon is on a distinguished road
Excellent review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I STILL have yet to be moved by a phone like the n95 did. This thing is on it's last legs, and the 8910 hd was hopefully the one, but that crap low light camera performance drops it for me :(
I agree with you here and was hoping to replace my N95 soon too but:

N97 = meh
SE Satio = no mass storage and bloody stupid Fastport
i8910 HD = crap LED only flash

What is one to do?

Old 27-08-2009, 02:40 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
When is the AAS review due??

I got an i8910, changed it for an N86(the best non touch phone out there IMO) then swapped that for an N97 which i found incredibly boring, nothing new or interesting but actually grew to like the keyboard. I found the homescreen fairly pointless and the device was so buggy its unreal) and now I am back with the i8910 and happy with my choice knowing that with some software improvements and the hardware it has that the future hopefully looks bright for it.

Old 28-08-2009, 11:38 AM

comnut is on a distinguished road
Zaqfalcon: how about the pixon12??? If they released one with a Gig or two of memory, and 'only' 8Mp cam, I'd buy....

Last edited by comnut; 28-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Old 28-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
The AAS review is due....

... when Samsung release the next Italian IHx firmware; then as we know that removes a couple of skinkers of bugs, it will give the phone a far fairer review.

Rafe has done an extensive preview of the phone, and I have done a month with the original Ornage firmware article - what we haven't yet done is the full on, multi-part "stable firmware" review.
Ads

Old 28-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I have both an n95 8gb and an i8910 and the samsung easily beats the n95 in low light conditions with or without the flash. And the flash is brighter on the samsung.

Old 28-08-2009, 11:49 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
I just performed a quick test with the i8910 and the N82, both in night mode (no flash). The results:
- The picture taken with the i8910 was a lot brighter (unnaturally so: it looked like it was taken in broad daylight) and had far less noise than the N82.
- However, looking at the exif data, the i8910 used a 0.73s shutter speed, while the N82 used 0.20s. Also, the i8910 picture was very slightly blurred. Not something you'd notice at 1024x768, but definitely noticeable at 3264x2448. I guess my hand wasn't steady enough.
My conclusion: there's nothing wrong with the hardware, only radically different firmware settings. Pictures taken in low-light conditions with the i8910 can be either amazing or awful, depending on how steady your hand is (or if you use a tripod or not). I personally think that the exposure times chosen by the i8910 in low-light conditions are way too long; add that to the long list of things that I would like to be fixed by a future fw update.

Last edited by rvirga; 28-08-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Old 31-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Unregistered

theP hantwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by comnut View Post
Zaqfalcon: how about the pixon12??? If they released one with a Gig or two of memory, and 'only' 8Mp cam, I'd buy....
i think pikon12 is a fckn dumbphone. so nope. its not an option.
3.5mm & microusb + Satio = best SMARTphone