All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-07-2006, 01:40 PM

orb36t is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Home Media Server

I have successfully set up a wireless connection on my N80 to access the web via my wireless router (BT Voyager 2091) but cannot get the Home Media Server to work. The software doesn't detect my device (I have added the MAC Address of the phone into the router, installed the device into Windows Media Center etc) when I go to GALLERY > HOME NETWORK the phone displays waiting for devices but nothing else happens. Is there something I am doing wrong here? (My CD didn't work so I have manually installed all the software but have I missed anything out?)

Old 22-07-2006, 09:18 PM

duckson is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem and a reboot of the phone seemed to work...

Old 23-07-2006, 10:06 AM

orb36t is on a distinguished road
Strange...left the phone for about 30 mins and ran Windows Media Connect, used the MAC addresses that were showing on that to put into my router settings and it mysteriously works!!! Great phone but appalling documentation on how to use anything more than its basic features!!! Come on Nokia give us a better helping hand!!!!
Ads

Old 25-07-2006, 10:23 PM

simmatt is on a distinguished road
i think i have the same problem.
i have set up my home wifi system and can access teh internet fine on my phne with it, i have ran windows media connect and it has my phone in the divices section and my phone canbrowse through the shared files, but when i try 2 open a file, tht is on th e pc with my phoen or use " show on home network" on a pic in the gallery, the phone just says, "waiting for devices"??? any help would be greatly aprecated
thanks

Old 26-07-2006, 04:59 PM

Harvey-D is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Media center or Windows media connect are essentially the server part, dishing out music, video and pictures to clients. This is what you find when you use your phone to select files on your home pc. When you select, show or play on home network it the goes off and looks for a upnp media renderer.

These devices are typically wireless units that play music, made by philips, linksys etc. You can load a media renderer onto a pc. You can download one from Intel's site. It works but is more a development tool and hence is a bit flaky.

The x-Box supports upnp, but it does not conform the the upnp standard and therefore will not play music or show pictures, even though your Nokia will find it as a rendering devicee (£300 down the drain for me...straight out the door via Ebay!)

Personally I would wait a while until these devices become more cost effective. The Nokia will play music off your home pc, but one track at a time. It is permenantly connected to the wireless network while playing so flattens the battery in no time. If you disconnect from the wireless it stops the music / video, so not really a remote control for your home network.

Old 26-07-2006, 11:21 PM

Winfield is on a distinguished road
@Harvey-D
What do you use to stream music to your mobile?

Using simplecenter I only get the options to play it on pc or copy to phone. Can't stream from phone to pc.

Regds

Edit: I am able to stream easily using orb. I was wondering on how to stream using upnp.

Last edited by Winfield; 26-07-2006 at 11:36 PM.

Old 30-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
I used home media server for the first time when I couldnt use the 'store image' option in PCSync cause it ...well... didnt store images!

It worked really well and found my device straight away. I just needed to click the DEVICES/DISCOVER DEVICES.

NOW the 2nd time I come to use it.... NOTHING. It cant find my device, and just flashes the simplecenter window a few times.

Old 28-05-2009, 12:59 PM

fuji0050 is on a distinguished road
Media centermost or Windows media affix are about the server part, dishing out music, video and pictures to clients. This is what you acquisition if you use your buzz to baddest files on your home pc. If you select, appearance or play on home arrangement it the goes off and looks for a upnp media renderer.

These accessories are about wireless units that play music, fabricated by philips, linksys etc. You can amount a media renderer assimilate a pc. You can download one from Intel's site. It works but is added a development apparatus and appropriately is a bit flaky.

The x-Box supports upnp, but it does not accommodate the the upnp accepted and accordingly will not play music or appearance pictures, even admitting your Nokia will acquisition it as a apprehension devicee (£300 down the cesspool for me...straight out the aperture via Ebay!)

Old 15-08-2009, 10:14 AM

oneviadia is on a distinguished road
Home Media Server

Im thinking of getting a Popcorn Hour C-200.

How well would it work with media files stored on a Windows Home Server? It would be running over a gigabit cabled network?

Can you stream Blu-Ray from a drive in a PC or notebook? The notebook would probably be a wireless N connection rather than cable.