All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-08-2008, 11:19 AM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Choice For Secondary Phone-N82 or 6220 Classic?

I have been looking for a secondary phone to replace my N95 8Gb for quite a while now.

I seem to have narrowed my choice down to these two devices, though I keep thinking maybe I should wait a little longer for the N85?

The main uses for this device would be as a modem for Mac laptop, web browsing & camera/ music etc.

I should add I have no need for Wi Fi.

My main concern with the N82 is purely it's keypad & direction pad. Main advantage seems screen size & battery size.

My main concern with the 6220 Classic is screen size & build quality. Main advantage seems to FP2 & a better keypad/direction pad. Plus lower price.

Any advice on this choice?
Ads

Old 13-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
FP 2 is definatly not a bonus. In fact at the moment its the opposite, although this will change in time as software makers catch up.

I really dont like the build quality, lens cover is especially annoying.

Having said that, Ive used an N82 and do hate the buttons.

Have you looked at the E66? Not that much more, and solves all the problems you have with those and only introduces a new one - its only a 3.2 camera.

I havent used an E66 yet, but apperently the build quality is top notch (better than an N series) and the buttons are brilliant.

So far the D pad on my 6220 is ok, but it just feel like it will last.

If I was pressed between the 2, Id probably say the N82.

Old 13-08-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
FP 2 is definatly not a bonus. In fact at the moment its the opposite, although this will change in time as software makers catch up.

I really dont like the build quality, lens cover is especially annoying.

Having said that, Ive used an N82 and do hate the buttons.

Have you looked at the E66? Not that much more, and solves all the problems you have with those and only introduces a new one - its only a 3.2 camera.

I havent used an E66 yet, but apperently the build quality is top notch (better than an N series) and the buttons are brilliant.

So far the D pad on my 6220 is ok, but it just feel like it will last.

If I was pressed between the 2, Id probably say the N82.

The only drawback of the two-E66 & E71 is the poor camera & video capture. Of the two the E71 would seem better as far as the modem is concerned because of it's large battery.

Old 17-08-2008, 01:56 PM

deathwest is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem, I want a phone with a good camera (with xenon flash if possible) and I am hesitating about theses two. (I tried both but I can't type a sms on the N82 without pressing a false key that's a little bit annoying, on the other hand it comes with wifi but would cost me 150$ more.

I really don't know....

Old 18-08-2008, 07:10 PM

Is it correct that the N82 has quite a dim screen & that it's brightness is turned down through the software to save the battery?

Old 15-09-2008, 04:42 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
you are right Super Chimp.
N82 with better keypad and Dpad=N79 and it has advantage of FP2 too.
*When FP1 launched people say non-FP1 is better but what happen after 6 months?...they sell there phones and buy FP1 becauz its old.

Old 29-07-2009, 11:59 AM

DireWolf is on a distinguished road
Hi all!

I'm resurrecting this thread because I may face the same decision. My 6220re ("re" meaning "Resurrected Edition" because to me "Nokia 6220" is this one and no other) is for repairs, and, if it takes too long, there's the possibility of getting my money back.

If I do, I'm not sure if I get another 6220 or an N82 instead. I'm restricting my choice to these two because I'm spoiled by the lens cover and the xenon flash...
Anyway, do you guys think the N82's WiFi, accelerometer (I miss these on the 6220), bigger screen and better battery compensate the older S60 FP, higher cost (100 more) and bigger size?
In terms of software, I suppose both FP2 and FP3 should by now be sufficiently developed to afford comparison.