All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM

UpperCASE is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Media Mess due to lack of folder specification options

After reading many threads on this forum and others, mostly about other Symbian v3 and v5 based models, I came to the conclusion that I will never get the answer to a question that seemed so easy: how do I specify the folder for displaying Ringtones / Images / Video's / MP3s?

If I understood well, some users of older Symbian versions couldn't find their media (because they did not know how to switch between phone memory and memory card), and that's why was decided to just display all files of a certain type from all memory and subfolders since version 3. Is that right?

So now I can't distinguish between thousands MP3s and a dozen ringtones when picking a tone?
I have to show the naughty videos of my girlfriend to my parents when I just want to show them a video of my kids?
I have to show the pictures of my other girlfriends to my girlfriend when I just want to show her my new colleague?
I have to browse through hundreds of images, just to find that one picture?
I have to look at application specific images (like used in Garmin Mobile XT), when I just want to see my own pictures?

And the only way (so far I've read) is to use X-plore or Y-browser to manually change the attributes of every single file to 'hidden' to prevent them from showing up in every viewer? With the effect that I can't show them with a viewer at all, except from the browser? The default image/video viewer is terrible for this reason and can't be replaced by a 3rd party one because the link from the media button is hard coded, which costs me an expensive shortcut of the 4 available at the main screen.

I just can't believe this! How can people implement such a thing? My simple MP3 player is smarter than that.... I have the feeling that my 5800 (and probably any other s60v3 or higher device) is pretty useless for storing and showing media to others and quickly finding media for myself. Do you have the same experience or a way to work around this problem?

And an additional question about these forums: why not one forum for all s60v5 devices (5800 and N97 combined)? Now I have to look/search in several forums for the same info, with the risk of duplication when posting. Nevertheless great forums!

Last edited by UpperCASE; 10-07-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Ads

Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
yes its very mind boggling. its just one more thing to add to the list of stupid nokia issues that they will never fix. just like the call log bug, been there for years now with no fix. just like poor html email client, been crappy for years. etc etc.

just gotta live with these things, as stupid as they are.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperCASE View Post
I have to show the naughty videos of my girlfriend to my parents when I just want to show them a video of my kids?
I have to show the pictures of my other girlfriends to my girlfriend when I just want to show her my new colleague?
Maybe I am missing on what's meant to be a joke... but TUT TUT!

Anyhow, I thought there was plenty of apps which will hide and encrypt/password protect entire folders. e.g. HandySafe.
I also think if you locate a specific MP3 (or any other sound file) using File-Manager, you can press Options -> Set as ringtone.

Last edited by dez_borders; 11-07-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Hi Dez,

Just giving some examples of situations you certainly don't want. Not saying they all apply to me (or anyone), although I think it's good to realize users don't want to show all of their content to all people. It's weird you have to use a third party application and do a lot of work to be able to show just a selection in the default (or any) image browser. As I quote Nokia beta labs: "it should be easy and fun to browse your photographs". Well, it's not, when you have quite a few of them and images of other applications (like icons) showing up. Instead of spending money and time on face recognition, I'd rather see a decent file/folder selection system.

Regarding the MP3s: I do not want to select one of these as a ringtone. I don't even want them to show up in the ringtone screen. Why not give the option of filtering certain types? Those small but essential things make it easy and fun, not extending the functionality of a phone that can already do almost everything.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperCASE View Post
Hi Dez,

Just giving some examples of situations you certainly don't want. Not saying they all apply to me (or anyone), although I think it's good to realize users don't want to show all of their content to all people.

Regarding the MP3s: I do not want to select one of these as a ringtone. I don't even want them to show up in the ringtone screen. .
I agree with what you're saying, but I just dont keep that many images or videos on my handset - if it's worth keeping long term I download to my PC then delete from phone.
If there was something on the handset I didn't want someone to see by accident, I simply wouldn't hand over the phone to anyone to browse.

Nokia doesn't seem to have changed the gallery app since day one of S60 phones so I wouldn't hold your breath
- I think they are happy for 3rd party app suppliers to sell add on products with more advanced functions.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Folders

With my S60 v3 FP1 Phone I make Folders like "Family" First in Filemanager , and then in the Gallery . I give them a Code No , like Fam001 , Fam002 etc . Anyway they will appear in Alphabetical order .
Gallery can be set to abc order . Just open one folder at the time . When I don't want them to show up at all in Gallery , then I ZIP them . Or hide complete foders or single file , using free application :
--X-Plore | Y-Browser
http://www.lonelycatgames.com/?app=xplore
http://www.drjukka.com/YBrowser.html

Regards jApi NL

Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
On my 5800 i can make folders in the gallery app. I know it doesn't totally help your problem but it helps organizing things.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:11 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Bubble Folders

Right ! Organize . On more tip : make Folders in Filemanager as well , and use the same name .
You might find a big mess of files in Filemanager , and you want to organize there too . This is changing the link to a new folder in Filemanager . Something Gallery doesn't recognise . The result is one more time another mess in Gallery .
IMO the best workaround :
1. Code the File - like mentioned above - for easy (re)location .
2. Make (name)Folder in Filemanager and store the wanted files ,
3. Make (name)Folder in Gallery and store the same Files .
Now you know the location of certain files .
4. Make Backup on MemoryCard (also productive for Gallery Settings) .

Regards jApi NL

Old 13-07-2009, 10:08 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Hi Dez, Roger & jApi,

Thanks for your replies and tips. I'll try and make the most out of it.

Kind regards,

Kees