All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Ovi Suite 2.0 in beta, unifies desktop experience

A beta version of Ovi Suite 2.0, Nokia's new look application for Windows PCs, has been made available via Nokia Beta Labs. The beta version, which is Qt based, is 'totally new' and represensts a fresh start for Nokia's desktop software. The new version will eventually replace all existing Nokia PC software. Read on for more information and first look at the features.

Read on in the full article.

Old 26-06-2009, 03:16 PM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
Overall a good experience.

1. Heavy on memory but I put that down to beta. I'm talking start at 500MB and grow.
2. Unless I missed it there is nowhere to configure how often you wish to auto-sync and I don't necessarily want it starting off with everything else when I boot the PC. Good to be able to choose exactly what (inc. playlists, photo folders) but cannot choose when like PC Suite, hopefully that will come.
3. Couldn't log into existing OVI account. If I try and create a new account, the CAPTCHA image does not load.
4. Shame to lose File /Folder sync since moving to the OVI suite. It's wasn't special but I had a small use for it. Maybe it will come back?
5. I'd like to choose a greater range of dates for Calendar Sync (max. 4 weeks back, 12 months forward), maybe that'll come too back too.

Feature request for OVI and my N82 music: I'd like to see some rating ability with Nokia's music. I listen to a fair amount of music on the go and I think that it needs to be there.

Very promising.

Last edited by dougalzene; 26-06-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Old 26-06-2009, 04:12 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Warning

WARNING...

DUPLICATED all my contacts, so now it just show the NUMBER of who is calling, due to having TWO of every contact.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Avoid until less buggy, say I...

Ads

Old 26-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougalzene View Post
1. Heavy on memory but I put that down to beta. I'm talking start at 500MB and grow.
Whoa, that's rather sucky. Being a program that many people will have on in the background all the time it shouldn't take 1/10th of that. What could possibly require so much RAM anyway?

Yeah, hopefully it's just there at the moment because it's a beta.

Old 26-06-2009, 06:12 PM
gdigenis

contacts issue

it seemed to work fine for me for a day, then i noticed when i used pcsuite to syc with outlook several contacts were modified without my knowing. i realized after that some of my contacts that had multiple phone numbers were now missing one phone number. i had to manually re-edit the info and resync. i will not sync contacts with ovi suite anymore

other than that it looks nice and is fairly easy to use, but it is slow to load

Old 26-06-2009, 07:08 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
It looks good, I'll give it that. But it still astounds... No, too harsh, PERPLEXES me how Nokia still seem to make a hash of their sync service.

PC suite was a nightmare to begin with and has become... Well, ok now (compared to ActiveSync was a WM boy). Still get the odd irritation when a separate app updates and then behaves as a seperate app but could live it.

But let this be the final evolution. And could they just bring Lifeblog back instead of the merely average Nokia Photos? To paraphrase Rafe, Lifeblog enhanced my 'user experience' in a way mere Nokia Photos never could. And if they insist upon pursuing a dull photo app, then at least make it a useful and popular one like Flickr.

Old 26-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Unregistered

Cool Ovi Suite 2

It's beta too much, for me. We canīt manage the "widgets" of the home, we can't choose what put there. It's still haven't Calendar. Hangs Up with ease. Too Beta...

Old 26-06-2009, 09:57 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Good to know that Mac users don't buy Nokia phones.

Old 27-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Unregistered

Angry

Isn't it time for a Desktop app on Linux? Sad to see Nokia not giving importance to Linux users.

Old 27-06-2009, 04:42 AM

So7t is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Isn't it time for a Desktop app on Linux? Sad to see Nokia not giving importance to Linux users.
Totally agree!!! Linux deserves some respect!! Its about time Nokia support major Linux distros!! Like Open Suse , Fedora , Ubunto...
KDE 4 uses Trolltech SDK, the same "base" used by OPEN SYMBIAN FOUNDATION at near future...

Old 27-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Unregistered

It's a beta. The idea is to feed back to Nokia, not to condemn.

Interesting decision on linux. It's not like Finland has no connection with linux after all, linux was born in Finland.

Old 28-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Unregistered

Sync my Contact and then change it through pc and try to sync again and it said failed even after a couple of retry including unplug the usb and put it back again..

Try to look at the music inside my n97 but it keeps loading for so long... i only had like 5 musics in it lol..

It is totally still need a lot of improvement.. a really disappointment.

Old 28-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Just to re-iterate that this is a beta - and a first release at that. I'd be ary of using it for prime time, but its great to see where Nokia is heading.

Old 29-06-2009, 09:46 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Good to know that Mac users don't buy Nokia phones.
I understood that part of the deal when they sold their souls to Apple was to sign up for iPhones for life

Old 30-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Unregistered

ive had issues

is anyone having issues under windows 7 64bit