All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-06-2009, 09:22 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Auto notification behavior (hanging)

This morning I decided to set my email accounts to Auto-Notify on receipt of new emails (i.e. the Messaging software checks once-an-hour for new email automatically).

REALIZATION: the Messaging client can only Auto-Notify on TWO (2) accounts!

I happen to have five accounts, so I picked my two most important ones to check.

Things were going along quite well until one message came in with in HTML, so opening and retrieving the message opened the Web application which LOCKED UP tight and didn't respond to the keypad, touchscreen or CANCEL button.

Using the MENU button, I checked to see what all was open and went to the home screen. I tried getting back into the Web application, but it seemed to hang continuously and not respond.

Wondering if something else was amiss I started trying all of my other Homescreen applications that accessed the Internet.

LO & BEHOLD, the Accuweather applet would not even come up at all!! On tapping the screen, it would just "purr" and come back to the home screen. Even trying to start it from the Applications menu, it would return without starting.

I strongly suspect that there is a logical bug in the Accuweather applet which is cause other applications that use the web to hang up.

Anyone else have any observations?

BTW, the way that I finally restored functionality was to press the power button to SWITCH OFF and then rebooted.

The Accuweather is now responding after the reboot, but I think that there is some IP stack collision going on that needs some work.

Old 25-06-2009, 09:28 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I think, because of all the problems you've been experiencing, you'd be best off doing a soft reset of your phone. Since I did it, it's run damn-near perfectly. I've only encountered one or two problems, compared to the fast growing list I had before. Other people on here have reported similar successes.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 25-06-2009, 10:55 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I think, because of all the problems you've been experiencing, you'd be best off doing a soft reset of your phone. Since I did it, it's run damn-near perfectly. I've only encountered one or two problems, compared to the fast growing list I had before. Other people on here have reported similar successes.
and how does one do a 'soft reset' of the phone?

Just been out for a while, at home had set the access point for my wifi. Once we were out and of course out of range, I could not get the Home Screen to change how it accesses the internet, it kept trying and of course unsuccessfully - to try to connect to the home wifi - there was no seeming method to change the access point.
RM-530
E72-1
Ads

Old 25-06-2009, 11:02 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
and how does one do a 'soft reset' of the phone?
How to do this has been discussed in length in this thread.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 25-06-2009, 11:03 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
How to do this has been discussed in length in this thread.
Yeah cheers, just found it after doing a search....
RM-530
E72-1