All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-05-2009, 04:46 AM

logotherapy is on a distinguished road
e90 Key Issue

Hi

I have an e90 which seems to have developed an issue. This happened last evening and am not sure how to correct it.

Here is the issue. The main key the middle seems to be acting up. When I press the key to the right, instead of it moving horizontally, it moves diagonally!! Thus instead of it moving horizontally.

Also whenever I launch any application, the voice recorder application launches automatically. For example, I will launch messaging application, the voice recorder application will launch. I will close the voice recorder application and then ben able to access the messaging application. Then when I make a choice ie new messages or opening the existing messages, the voice recorder application again launches.

Now I have a new problem. My phone is locked and I cant open it. The issue is that the top left key does not work!! The 'UNLOCK' key option is not working.

1st time I have had this issue with e90. Any/all help is welcome. Please advise.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Logos

Old 21-05-2009, 12:54 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Does this key issue happen on the outside ? What about the Inside ?
Do you mean by main key , the D-Pad , also called Navigation key ?
Anyway it looks like a Hardware Repair issue : bring it to a NSP - Nokia Service Point .
Regards jApi NL

Old 24-05-2009, 11:10 AM

swingerman is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Simply factory reset your phone or reflash the firmware.

Old 17-06-2009, 04:20 PM

cddiede is on a distinguished road
logotherapy, this EXACT same thing just happened to my E90!

I took the battery out and power the unit back on, booting up with the cover closed and it fixed it.... for about 10 minutes. After that the keys mapping on the external keys only was screwed up again.

Up, left, and down work, but right equates to right and down. The center key works for select, but also opens the Voice recorder app. The left soft key now performs the functions of the green send key.

The internal keys work perfectly. No ideal what happend. First surfaced this morning after using the YouTube application on the internal screen, then switching back to the desk and using the app manager to force quit the app.

It's crazy, as I've never had such a problem before. I guess it's fortunate that a new E90 firmware was just release. If I'm going to have to factory reset the phone, at least I can grab some new firmware while I'm at it...

Old 18-06-2009, 02:06 AM

Oh, Bugger...

Uh oh. I just successfully updated the firmware on my E90 to 400.34.93 in an attempt to correct the malfunctioning external keys as described above. It did NOTHING! My external keys are still mapped wrong in the exact same manner as before.

I haven't even restored any of my backed up data or applications yet and I wiped the firmware TWICE. This isn't a software issue is it?

But how could so many different E90 owners have the same exact key mapping problems at the same time if it's a hardware problem???

Old 18-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Smile D-Pad Settings

My Phone is E90-1 , OS V300xx . I use it every day for many hours . However mainly the Inner side . Never had this key problem .
Did you try change the settings of the D-pad ?
Menu > Instruments > Settings > General > Personally > Standby-Mode > 1. Active Stanby : Off , 2. Settings of Quicklinks - to whatever you like . Then give it another try ?
Not working correctly ? Then it must be a hardware problem , like a electrical shortcut (moist ?) or worn out key .

BTW , did you also read this thread ? : http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=70417

Regards jApi NL

Last edited by jApi NL; 18-06-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Old 18-06-2009, 11:44 AM

No, changing the behavior of the standby screen doesn't change the external keypad mappings.

Besides the active standby controls work perfectly on the inner keypad.

Old 18-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Okay, I just ran a *#7370# twice in a row and the bad key mappings persist.

Strangeness is that on the initial boot screen after a format where I select my region and set the time/date, the selection keys on the external keypad work fine, but the moment it goes to the active standby screen they keys go bad.

Here's the complete external keypad mapping errors:

Up - executes up and delete (C key)
Down - executes down and right
left - normal left function
right - executes down and right
C Key - executes up and delete
center key - executes select and launches the voice recorder app.
Right soft key - normal function
left soft key - executes Green send key
Green send key - executes left soft key
Red end key - normal function

All T-9 keys perform normal functions.

Old 18-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Smile Reset Software

Since you were doing a hard reset anyway , you can try VDG as well . See this thread :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021
When this doesn't work , it must be a Hardware thing like I mentioned above . See your local Nokia Service Point . Probably it's a warrenty issue as well

Regards jApi NL

Old 18-06-2009, 03:39 PM

LOL, I 've never heard it called a Vulcan Death Grip before.

I did try the four finger reset and got the same results as the hard reset.
Ads

Old 18-06-2009, 11:38 PM

Smile Fixed!

Okay all is well!

I just noticed for the first time since the keypad failures began, that my camera shutter button was depressed at an odd angle and stuck in the "engaged" position. It must have been like this for several days.

Once I wiggled it back to it's normal position, the external keys on the E90 returned to normal functionality!

This makes sense since for the first few minutes after a hard reset or re-flash, the keys would work fine, only to malfunction after a few minutes. It must be that when the camera shutter key is held down for too long without the camera app running, things can go screwy with the keypad.

The internal keypad was unaffected since all camera buttons are disabled when the E90's cover is opened!

To any other E90 owners: Please keep an eye on the awful spongy little shutter key, especially if your external keypad starts acting wonky.

Thanks to everyone who attempted to help me with this!

Old 31-08-2009, 09:42 AM

oneviadia is on a distinguished road
e90 Key Issue

Hello everyone. Just on the USB key matter, I had a question about the disk. The problem was I couldnt find the application CD I have now and thought, if I have the USB key, and I loose my disk, can I use someone elses?